4 - Ronald Araújo

Birdy

Araujo passing from CB isn't bad if he is a) given passing Options and b) the team isn't static from midfield.

You don't do those two things and Araujo will be punished. But you don't do those two things WITHOUT Araujo against the top sides and we will still be punished.

It's a systematic problem more than an individual problem basically. We just magnify individual flaws with the lack of ability to operate at the intensity of the BuLi/PL.

This

Bobo32

Araujo passing from CB isn't bad if he is a) given passing Options and b) the team isn't static from midfield.

You don't do those two things and Araujo will be punished. But you don't do those two things WITHOUT Araujo against the top sides and we will still be punished.

It's a systematic problem more than an individual problem basically. We just magnify individual flaws with the lack of ability to operate at the intensity of the BuLi/PL.

Araujo can function OK buildup wise in the right setup yes, but in the right setup his strengths aren't really that important either...

/
Birdy: why "like" and still write that post? chasing a higher post number? Waste of space that post.

Birdy

Araujo can function OK buildup wise in the right setup yes, but in the right setup his strengths aren't really that important either...

/
Birdy: why "like" and still write that post? chasing a higher post number? Waste of space that post.

No, just emphasis.

In regards to what you say, his strengths are always needed.
You can never expect to NOT face transitions against high quality opposition

MTL_Barca

Not every single player has to be amazing at the ball. Puyol and Abidal weren't on a level with Alves/Pique too. Sometimes solid is enough, at least for a defender.

Xavi was one of the best players in this games history, he should work on improving positioning and passing - if anyone knows how it's done then it's him.

Bobo32

Not every single player has to be amazing at the ball. Puyol and Abidal weren't on a level with Alves/Pique too. Sometimes solid is enough, at least for a defender.

Xavi was one of the best players in this games history, he should work on improving positioning and passing - if anyone knows how it's done then it's him.

They were both miles ahead of Araujo, but mostly they looked VERY good on the ball under Pep because the system was so perfectly setup - Xavi, Busquets, Valdes helped them very much with their movements. So far, I am not convinced by Xavis attempt to improve positioning and passing, I think he even gets it more wrong than before with some of his decisions. It remains to be seen if he can make Araujo look OK on the ball, or if the entire buildup chain will break because of his poor control and awareness.

I do not think that Barcelona can really compete with the best if they do not do so by relying on the Cruyffian vision, even after spending these bags of money this summer.

Gnidrologist

Xavi should work more on improving our midfield chemistry than try to make ball playing defensman out of Araujo. Despite being a GOAT mid, the weakest link in his setup is exactly that. Araujo is okay passer. Immobile and too far apart mids, who don't create outlets for each other, don't make triangles and are just too slow, has been the problem not only for defenders in beating the press, but our team being overrun by faster and more physical teams. Having two ball playing gods like Garcia and Pique in those cases haven't saved our asses even once, while having Araujo eat forwards alive has.

iniestaGOAT

Xavi should work more on improving our midfield chemistry than try to make ball playing defensman out of Araujo. Despite being a GOAT mid, the weakest link in his setup is exactly that. Araujo is okay passer. Immobile and too far apart mids, who don't create outlets for each other, don't make triangles and are just too slow, has been the problem not only for defenders in beating the press, but our team being overrun by faster and more physical teams. Having two ball playing gods like Garcia and Pique in those cases haven't saved our asses even once, while having Araujo eat forwards alive has.

Xavi has a plan to fix the midfield. Bully city and buy Silva.

We just need this mutt de jong to leave.

Gnidrologist

We wouldn't actually be this impotent in mid, if this "mutt" was playing instead of Turtlesquets. Silva will change nothing as long as the later is here.

serghei

This plays a part no doubt, but you can get in trouble even if the position of the team is ok, if your touch is bad and inconsistent. In other words, you still have to be reliable on the ball.

Also, designing perfect off the ball movement to accommodate technically subpar players is next to impossible. Sometimes a player has to add a bit of individuality to make the game flow better. Happens at every top team.

I have my doubts about Araujo in high pressing situations. Luckily, La Liga is not a league high on that apart from 4-5 games a season.

Last edited:

Porque

This plays a part no doubt, but you can get in trouble even if the position of the team is ok, if your touch is bad and inconsistent. In other words, you still have to be reliable on the ball.

Also, designing perfect off the ball movement to accommodate technically subpar players is next to impossible. Sometimes a player has to add a bit of individuality to make the game flow better. Happens at every top team.

I have my doubts about Araujo in high pressing situations. Luckily, La Liga is not a league high on that apart from 4-5 games a season.

That's true. On the other hand teams will also high press Busquets because he has no cover and lacks speed.

Actually I'm more concerned with the way Araujo drops 5 metres behind the defensive line breakijg the offside line and generally loses positioning than ball playing. And I'm not sure Kounde is the leader to hold the line like Pique on form.

As Bobo said, if the team is playing correctly then it can fucle the ball faster and even work defensively without Araujo.

vuji_31

Our midfield lacks someone like KDB type of player who can score, assist, create chances...De Jong is tottaly opposite type of player. B.Silva could be really decent here.

Home of Barca Fans