4 - Ronald Araújo

Horatio

You're welcome
Very little critique does this player recieve here still, he has been directly involved in many of the latest goals conceded, sometimes in multiple ways.
He has his strengths and his weaknesses, and I don't rule him out, but it is a bit striking.

Agree with Bobo on this one. Still shaky at times but had his goal last game and did ok today as LB even though Mallorca was horrible.
I guess he garners a lot sympathy because he plays on low salary from fans. Same goes for me. But purely based on performance it is not all that yet.

ajnotkeith

Agree with Bobo on this one. Still shaky at times but had his goal last game and did ok today as LB even though Mallorca was horrible.
I guess he garners a lot sympathy because he plays on low salary from fans. Same goes for me. But purely based on performance it is not all that yet.

He is the only player in our defense who can cope with top-level attackers. It is what it is. Every time we see Pique/Lenglet/Garcia against top attackers they are always making mistakes and losing the duels. With Araujo he has the physical tools at least and will never lose physically to any attacker.

His ball-playing abilities are not very good but his ball carrying is improving a lot.

xXKonan

Not perfect as a FB but a serviceable one.

Surprised me at LB today, liked him there than anyone else in that position this season. :lol:

gregorrin10

By far our best defender, getting the most difficult position when we have to play without full backs. Makes sense. And even as a LB, he didn't disappoint. We just need to keep him fit and get him a quality new CB in the summer to partner with him next season. I guess for this season Pique/Garcia will have to do.

Andresito

Staff member
He's got that elite mentality. A future leader who never backs down.

I just hope he keeps developing into a great player skill wise as well. Doesn't have to be absolute WC if he's paired with a partner who covers his weaknesses. I (carefully) think his potential is that of Masche at CB.

FinBarcelonafan

Him playing different positions might help him down the road. He has to focus on his flaws more and improve those.

Seems pretty versatile player and insane heading ability.

Potential to become great player.

Porque

He was better at LB than RB. Part of that may be down to the press by Mallorca (though he struggled more when he went to RB soooo) but he was comfortable with his passing options and positioning of receiving the ball at LB.

All hail King Xavi, the 2000s and 2010s were the decades of inverted wingers. Now it is all about inverted fullbacks.

Alba at RB, Araujo at LB, bring it on.

Bobo32

He is the only player in our defense who can cope with top-level attackers. It is what it is. Every time we see Pique/Lenglet/Garcia against top attackers they are always making mistakes and losing the duels. With Araujo he has the physical tools at least and will never lose physically to any attacker.

His ball-playing abilities are not very good but his ball carrying is improving a lot.

Even if this was true, he could still be beaten tactically, mentally and technically, and I think he was, and I think he has been beaten physically too on a number of occasions.
I think his ball playing abilities are underrated in a way, he looks worse than Chiellini and he is worse than Chiellini, but it is a bit of the same phenomenon where he looks so clumsy but manage to solve more situations than you'd think... Especially when he can keep the ball to himself, as you point out, he can dribble his way out of trouble pretty well.

Yesterday, he really panicked a lot in the late stages of the game - he gave away the problem to someone else by just hoofing the ball away when he had time, and he also entered some tackles in a stupid way, just tensing up like an amateur and being easily beat, it looked a bit like a drunken, riled up fighter trying to punch a trained, sober boxer...

I think Xavi can utilize him and that he might improve a bit and find his place more when the team is a bit more settled on the whole, but I certainly don't think he'll be someone to build the defence around.

serghei

He's got that elite mentality. A future leader who never backs down.

I just hope he keeps developing into a great player skill wise as well. Doesn't have to be absolute WC if he's paired with a partner who covers his weaknesses. I (carefully) think his potential is that of Masche at CB.

Masche is a tall order. One of the finest readers of the game.

I think he could easily surpass someone like Matip or Laporte. Which would be starter material for anyone.

JamDav1982

Masche was top class CB for Barca as he could read the play so well and covered the gaps others left and was the best on ball since Marquez in zinging it about from the back.

Araujo will do well to get near that level but is a freak athlete and has basics to be a good player.

Messi983

Doesn't look too convincing to me. Should go on instructions to Lenglet imo.

FISnKmkXwAYj6IO

CanadianCanadian

Physically he reminds me of Van Dijk. Ronald is 6'3 I think, while Virgil is 6'4. Both strong, fast, great in the air. I think once he gets a consistent partner next to him, whether it ends up being Garcia or De Ligt, he will become a very solid defender. Still has some way to go while he develops but he's the best we have and without him we would be fucked. A pair of Pique and Lenglet would be a disaster at this stage.

Home of Barca Fans