5 - Carles Puyol

Galning

Puyol: "Rumours about retiring from national team? I want to retire on the pitch, not in the operating room."

:(

"This operation is like having your car checked. It's nothing bad, I'll be back soon. I'm optimistic."

:lol: capi :worthy:

"People already said I'd retire last year. We'll see how far I can get... The recovery starts on Sunday."
"Saving my strengths a bit? People tell me to do so, but I have my way of training and playing... It's hard to change that."
"The Copa final is the most beautiful game of the season. I will do everything possible to help."
"My idea is to play for many more years, five or six... But we will go game by game."

LaMessiah

some of you guys are funny. playing for the national team is obviously a big deal to these players, so maybe take off the barca blinders and realize there is more to football than just barca. puyol is immense and if he wants to play 5 more years for the national team, he should. after so many years of watching the spanish national team fail to come together because of rivalries it's pretty fucking sweet to see how they've put all that behind and created one of the best national teams ever. personally i hope they win the euros again with another barca filled squad.

barcaboy15

Yeah, I think you're all WAY over estimating the effect of tiredness compared to the mental boost of competing with the national team.

So many stupid comments recently with you all saying you want all the Barca players to miss the Euros, it's just moronic. Remind me again from the 4 seasons with Guardiola, which two did we win the CL & League title? Oh yeah, the seasons after the core of our team won huge trophies with Spain.

Strange that they weren't all so tired and in need of a rest huh?

DennyCrane

Puyol: "Rumours about retiring from national team? I want to retire on the pitch, not in the operating room."

:(

"This operation is like having your car checked. It's nothing bad, I'll be back soon. I'm optimistic."

:lol: capi :worthy:

"People already said I'd retire last year. We'll see how far I can get... The recovery starts on Sunday."
"Saving my strengths a bit? People tell me to do so, but I have my way of training and playing... It's hard to change that."
"The Copa final is the most beautiful game of the season. I will do everything possible to help."
"My idea is to play for many more years, five or six... But we will go game by game."

How can one not love this guy :wub: His attitude is admirable and sets an example to not only our squad, but to every football player in the world.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
I'm surprised that El Capitan didn't just request someone staple his knee so that he could go out there and play.

dude's a monster.

B

barcelonista

I'm surprised that El Capitan didn't just request someone staple his knee so that he could go out there and play.

He probably did but then the stapler got scared and run away. Or in other words: Puyol does not simply take an arrow to the knee. :pep:

Maria

Yeah, I think you're all WAY over estimating the effect of tiredness compared to the mental boost of competing with the national team.

So many stupid comments recently with you all saying you want all the Barca players to miss the Euros, it's just moronic. Remind me again from the 4 seasons with Guardiola, which two did we win the CL & League title? Oh yeah, the seasons after the core of our team won huge trophies with Spain.

Strange that they weren't all so tired and in need of a rest huh?

My comments may be stupid..but it's also stupid not to notice that in the other 2 seasons(2009/2010&2011/2012) Barca had more games because of the supercups and the CWC and in the 2009 summer Spain had the Confederation Cup also. Puyol has problems with his knees and Xavi with his soleous muscle(in the last 2 years, not only now) and it became so bad that since December that I don't think he finished more then 2 games..but yes we should be happy because after the EC, Spain is going again in countries like Costa Rica or God knows where else only for the money-because for trying new players it's definitely not(remember what happend to Pique twice this season after he went with Spain? or to Xavi before the Spanish Supercup?). If Messi has lost a lot of weight after 2 games for the WC qualification, imagine what all this travelling is doing to Xavi and Puyol, who, by the way are not getting younger.

I would also like to remember you that since the EC 2008, Xavi is the european player with most games/year(66). But we're the ones overestimating the effect of tiredness and Xavi's physical problems, it seems.

I posted this in Xavi's thread some time ago, but I don't think that anybody read it(it's an interesting article about Spain&Barca, the link between the 2 and how this link has affected our players - for good or bad):

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/featur...-spanish-stars-at-risk-of-burning-out?cc=5739

Last edited:

Xavi_78

agree with Maria, in particular after the way Arbeloa did disrespect his La Roja teammates this way. If the FCB players are finished, then La Roja could/should do w/o them

Galning

some of you guys are funny. playing for the national team is obviously a big deal to these players, so maybe take off the barca blinders and realize there is more to football than just barca. puyol is immense and if he wants to play 5 more years for the national team, he should. after so many years of watching the spanish national team fail to come together because of rivalries it's pretty fucking sweet to see how they've put all that behind and created one of the best national teams ever. personally i hope they win the euros again with another barca filled squad.

And? It's not like we mind Puyol playing for Spain. It's just that we'd rather have that he doesn't. Of course it's a big thing for the players.
The thing is that most Barcelona fans couldn't care less if Spain failed at the euros. If they succeed they're happy for the Barça players, not for Spain.

Galning

agree with Maria, in particular after the way Arbeloa did disrespect his La Roja teammates this way. If the FCB players are finished, then La Roja could/should do w/o them

Or horseface complaining when people don't answer questions in Castellano, pathetic.

LaMessiah

And? It's not like we mind Puyol playing for Spain. It's just that we'd rather have that he doesn't. Of course it's a big thing for the players.
The thing is that most Barcelona fans couldn't care less if Spain failed at the euros. If they succeed they're happy for the Barça players, not for Spain.
*most barcelona fans on this forum because most of them have no ties to barcelona or spain.

Home of Barca Fans