8 - Pedri

KingLeo10

He plays it safe too often imo, and has moments where he can play a decisive pass and he ignores (or doesn't see) the runs of the attackers.

Despite those moments though, he had a good game.

You also have to factor in that when Xavi and Iniesta were making those incisive passes, the defense didn't have much film on such sort of phenomenon.

The Guardiola Barcelona blueprint has now been dissected hundreds of time over at any football institution/academy/team management.

serghei

Pedri doesn't make those passes more often because he is still too young and not as good as he needs to be yet. He is levels under someone like Iniesta at his prime, let's not kid ourselves.

fergus90

Prime Iniesta is a serious candidate for footballs all time XI so has great as Pedri is, I'll settle for slightly less :D

Porque

Iniesta never had that consistent drive either for through balls or linebreaking passes. There were times he was incredibly passive and intentially did not take those options.

I think nostalgia is having us overrate his offensive consistency.

Pedri may not reach Iniesta level, but I reckon he will have greater offensive output.

fergus90

Iniesta was simply a joy to watch, unbelievably elegant footballer. Football is more concerned about stats now that it was during his prime.

mc_lovin

Iniesta never had that consistent drive either for through balls or linebreaking passes. There were times he was incredibly passive and intentially did not take those options.

Yep.

If the question is what type of player we want/need I would rather have someone who has an understanding of controlling the game than the likes of Fabregas, Ozil or even de Bruyne.

That being said, I definitely think Pedri has a knack for scoring/assisting (more so than Iniesta). He's quite a bit like a cross between Fabregas and Iniesta in my opinion.

Last edited:

JohnN

I believe he sees the passes but decides the risk / reward isn't worth it every time. It's good to have constraint, especially against better teams. If he is timid while we are chasing a game, it would be wrong. But today he was perfect.

serghei

Pedri has fewer assists than 18 year old debutant Balde in La Liga this season so far... ease up on the hype a bit.

Just checked, 23 goals and he has assisted none of them. I get that we play on the wings a lot, but when good runs in the middle are being made, he should attempt the pass more. After all, he is the main playmaker of the team.

He has a lot to improve at making decisive passes. Nothing wrong being a fan favorite, he is very likable, but still... assists are a weak point of his.

Last edited:

Temptation

Yep.

If the question is what type of player we want/need I would rather have someone who has an understanding of controlling the game than the likes of Fabregas, Ozil or even de Bruyne.

That being said, I definitely think Pedri has a knack for scoring/assisting (more so than Iniesta). He's quite a bit like a cross between Fabregas and Iniesta in my opinion.

But Pedri is neither a game controller like Xavi/Pirlo nor a key pass/final ball machine like Ozil/KDB........

A large part of the Pedri hype is because he reminds people of Iniesta.

People giving him top 3 midfielders itw shouts are clueless.

ajnotkeith

But Pedri is neither a game controller like Xavi/Pirlo nor a key pass/final ball machine like Ozil/KDB........

A large part of the Pedri hype is because he reminds people of Iniesta.

People giving him top 3 midfielders itw shouts are clueless.

He has his own slightly strange profile that is still slowly developing.

Often the best players/highest potential players do invent their own style and there's nobody to compare them to, as they are actually generational.

He has the markings of a goalscoring midfielder but who can also play deeper.

serghei

Xavi and Pirlo were far more than controllers only. They were killer final ball passers.

Before Messi moved to false 9, back when he a classic winger, and Xavi ran the midfield, he made 31 assists in 2008/09.

Temptation

He has his own slightly strange profile that is still slowly developing.

Often the best players/highest potential players do invent their own style and there's nobody to compare them to, as they are actually generational.

He has the markings of a goalscoring midfielder but who can also play deeper.

Time is on Pedri's side and he has only started but some people are getting ahead of themselves rating him way too highly already for no valid reason.

I have watched Barca this season and the biggest creative source has probably been Dembele.

Pedri is still a bit raw in many aspects.

If Frenkie had proper support from his manager he'd be a nailed on starter and probably the best creator in the team. The ease with which he makes those passes breaking the lines is amazing. He's a natural at that.

Temptation

Xavi and Pirlo were far more than controllers only. They were killer final ball passers.

Before Messi moved to false 9, back when he a classic winger, and Xavi ran the midfield, he made 31 assists in 2008/09.

Agree. I mean they primarily functioned as playmakers and ball circulators(unless you're talking about young Pirlo the attacking mid)......but their passing range and execution was so good that they had great end product from a deeper position too.

This is why whenever someone compares Xavi and Iniesta I always laugh. Iniesta's La Croqueta and buttery smooth dribbling style makes for great viewing but Xavi just ran games and dominated teams. Xavi's end product from that deep was amazing. Xavi was a level above Iniesta and the heartbeat of Guardiola's Barca.

Home of Barca Fans