8 - Pedri

KingLeo10

His talent is insane. I’m tired of you dunking on him while he’s injured

If Xavi gives up on the idea of playing him as a second forward and develops him as a real midfielder he’ll be brilliant

I started becoming more vocal about his injuries/absences when they became a pattern. 1st season was okay with me, 2nd consecutive season slight red flag, 3rd straight season is time for concern.

In his last 4.3 seasons, he's played 37, 52, 22, 35, and 2 (out of ~15 so far) games. Robben during his PSV and Chelsea stint played 41, 34, 29, 40, 37 games in those 5 seasons, and he had a rep for being unreliable in that time. Pedri's basically on track to hit those numbers (or even a little below that) and we're supposed to keep giving him a blind pass? I'm not saying we sell him. I'm just saying if this keeps up, he can't be counted on (like Dembele) a reliable star that will lead us to a major trophy....

JamDav1982

Obviously if he keep this injury record he isnt a reliable starter I doubt anyone could argue with that even if rate him very highly.

But to make out worse players who are available for team more often is the best 'ability' isnt quite right.

KingLeo10

Obviously if he keep this injury record he isnt a reliable starter I doubt anyone could argue with that even if rate him very highly.

But to make out worse players who are available for team more often is the best 'ability' isnt quite right.

:lol: When did I say Romeu is a better solution for us. I've been on the record saying in Romeu's thread that he's easily the worst Barca player and shouldn't touch the starting XI.

Way to take a saying (which is routinely used in sports parlance) and contort it into some comparison between Pedri and Romeu. Best ability is availability is simply a saying that applies to a given footballer's attributes...that is among their attributes, availability to actually showcase your talent/value on the football pitch is the most important metric. Messi for example, despite his GOAT talent, couldn't have realized that potential if he didn't average 50-55 games for like 10-12 straight seasons. Compare that to a R9 who had similar talent but couldn't realize that potential cos he was perma-injured.

JamDav1982

:lol: When did I say Romeu is a better solution for us. I've been on the record saying in Romeu's thread that he's easily the worst Barca player and shouldn't touch the starting XI.

Way to take a saying (which is routinely used in sports parlance) and contort it into some comparison between Pedri and Romeu. Best ability is availability is simply a saying that applies to a given footballer's attributes...that is among their attributes, availability to actually showcase your talent/value on the football pitch is the most important metric. Messi for example, despite his GOAT talent, couldn't have realized that potential if he didn't average 50-55 games for like 10-12 straight seasons. Compare that to a R9 who had similar talent but couldn't realize that potential cos he was perma-injured.

The point is 'availability is the best ability' doesnt hold up when ignore the ability of the players... example being Pedri and Romeu.

Hence why it is a cliche that doesnt hold up.

Even at 40% the ability Pedri has makes him more useful to team than others who are around more.. hence the best ability is footballing ability.

Messi example doesnt hold up as his footballing ability matters more than him being poorer but available more also.

R9 had far superior career to many players that were available much more than him due to his ability on the pitch.

jamrock

The best ability is indeed and will always remain availability.

But pedri is young, if he was 24-25 and this was happening/still happening I'd be more concerned.

But I definitely understand why other fans would be

JohnN

It is a pattern now as is with Araujo. Both are young and some of the best talent we have produced so hope is they overcome the injury plague.

JamDav1982

Nonsense.

Players who are available more are not better than those who are superior players and have better 'ability' on ball.

Bland cliche that gets repeated all the time.

The 'best ability' is what can do with ball at their feet more so than how often available.

jamrock

Horse shit.

A Player that is a grade B player, but is always fit, will offer more than player A, who is more talented, but only available 70% of the time.

But leave it to the waste man to try and rewrite decades of settled sport & social history.

Yea get be the worker that's super talented, but always late and missed at least one day of work per week, said no company ever.

BusiTheKing

Nonsense.

Players who are available more are not better than those who are superior players and have better 'ability' on ball.

Bland cliche that gets repeated all the time.

The 'best ability' is what can do with ball at their feet more so than how often available.
Generally, a player can do more with the ball at their feet if they're not sitting in the stands.

JamDav1982

Generally, a player can do more with the ball at their feet if they're not sitting in the stands.
Thats not the point... the point is players with more ability are better than players with less ability and available more.

The 'best ability' for players are what they can do with ball at feet.

From there having those players available as much as possible becomes true.

Anyone thinking clubs are primarly looking for players who are 'available' the most are miles off. It is a consideration but not even close to 'best ability'.

mc_lovin

Thats not the point... the point is players with more ability are better than players with less ability and available more.

The 'best ability' for players are what they can do with ball at feet.

From there having those players available as much as possible becomes true.
Pretty reductive argument. Depends on the case really. A perma-crook for sure is the worst possible player even if he's Messi (not the one vs PSG on one leg, but a Messi that can't use either :p).

JamDav1982

Pretty reductive argument. Depends on the case really. A perma-crook for sure is the worst possible player even if he's Messi (not the one vs PSB on one leg, but a Messi that can't use either :p).

Different argument.

The 'best ability' and no1 thing clubs will want is what players can do with ball at feet.

From there their 'availability' becomes a consideration..

Its a poor cliche repeated too often.

Home of Barca Fans