9 - Robert Lewandowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messigician

They'll just claim it is due to age. Better question would be why he couldn't carry Argentina or perform even close to half as well as he was for Barcelona at the 2018 WC or 2019 Copa if he was good enough to score a goal per game and drag a team to success with "bums" all around him back then.

Yeah clearly they weren't bums or he would have carried Argentina

KingLeo10

Stop trolling

He scored
31 goals in 33 games to win them the title over inter milan
Breaking numerous records in the process

:lol: He literally scored 21 goals in 31 games in 18/19 in his first season in Serie A, with 28 goals overall.

I know you're a deluded troll, but this is getting embarrassing.

Messigician

:lol: He literally scored 21 goals in 31 games in 18/19 in his first season in Serie A, with 28 goals overall.

I know you're a deluded troll, but this is getting embarrassing.

We are talking about the 90 point season
Not the 95 point season

Stop trying to confuse me

soul24rage

Agree. The attempt to argue that Messi's decline at PSG is solely due to age rather than him adapting poorly to a different system is quite a reach.

He was the runaway frontrunner to win the ballon d'or when he joined PSG and widely considered the best player in the world. He had just come off his best international tournment ever for Argentina and scored 25 goals in his last 20 la liga matches IIRC yet suddenly happens to experience a monumental physical decline without suffering any major injuries right at the time he leaves Barcelona to join a different club? Some coincidence that

Also, he was criticized in Argentina throughout his prime for never being close to the same player for them as he was for Barcelona.

Maybe this tackle could have had a bigger impact than imagined.

E-WEQaoVUAAs8gK

https://twitter.com/JoySportsGH/sta...-venezuela-red-card/y0c1rb7ijou416429hcbfou3t

If Argentina had won a trophy during 14-16, then they would be telling a different tune.

They'll just claim it is due to age. Better question would be why he couldn't carry Argentina or perform even close to half as well as he was for Barcelona at the 2018 WC or 2019 Copa if he was good enough to score a goal per game and drag a team to success with "bums" all around him back then.

A lot of new players were tried out during the WC 2018 and Copa 2019, when this process should have started even before 2016 Copa imo.

At least at Barca, the majority of the players were already settled in.

Last edited:

Temptation

Christian Falk

Robert Lewandowski got a call in the dressing room. He talked in Polish. His teammates only understood "FC Barcelona, FC Barcelona".

Weird update by Falk

Temptation

He has began individual training already for upcoming season after returning from holiday.

The clip he posted on his insta, he looks determined af.

Pretty recently he said something about wanting to improve his game further.

In that insta clip, the man looks as motivated as possible.

topt

He has began individual training already for upcoming season after returning from holiday.

;) yep, working for his peak at 40

Yannik

Lewy is a fucking stellar athlete, basically the same as Ronaldo or arguably even above in that regard. He debuted in 2007 and ccording to his injury record he only ever missed 24 games in 15 years career and when you look at the injkurys most of them are just bruises, jaw fractures, broken nose, shoulder injuries etc, basically single-time injuries caused by impact rather than muscular malfunctions that can reoccur throughout his career.. There's only a 1month long ligament injury last year, other than that there's nothing that raises any concern over his fitness at 30. If Barca signs him, I believe you'll have him around not just for 1-2 years. Of course there's still always some risk and unpredictability involved in such a signing, but if there's one guy with the best chances to be around even at 40 then it's him.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

All of you Lewa stans need to relax with the hyperbole. An important metric is the number of professional games played, since it is ultimately the wear and tear of playing combined with aging that makes a player decline and ultimately, obsolete.

Messi is about 34.5 years right now and has played 977 games of professional football for club + country.

Lewandowski is 33.5 years right now and has played 874 games of professional football for club + country.

That's a gap of a 100 games as it stands, which amounts to 1.75-2 years. Lewa will be 35.5ish years by the same time he's played the same number of games as 34.5 year old Messi. We'll see what Lewa's level is like 2 years from now, but I have a strong suspicion it will be that of a 25-30 goal a season striker. Which is good for a 35-36 year old but nothing to write ballads about.

Now, CR7:

He's played 1,084 games for club + country at age 37.25. That's a gap of 210 games to Lewa or 3.5-4 years of professional football. Lewa will be 38 by the time he's played the same amount of games as a 37 year old CR7.

People here are underestimating the sheer amount of mileage CR7 (obvious) and Messi (not so obvious) have gone through. Messi, in particular has managed nearly a 1,000 professional games despite taking on 2-3-4 challenges on the regular during dribbles in his prime. Lewa battles with CBs but it's upper body battle for the most part and not the legs. I'm not not factoring that Messi and CR7 played in generally tougher leagues, strength wise compared to Lewa and for tougher NTs, especially in Messi's case with those South American butchers and 6,000 feet elevation stadiums.

Conclusion: Lewa is an elite athlete but I'm not even convinced he's better than Messi or CR7 as strictly athletes over the course of his career, especially CR7. For me, the greatest football athlete, even better than CR7 who I have as no.2 is Maldini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans