9 - Robert Lewandowski

fergus90

I think he's not as bad as he played recently, but decline at European elite level is permanent due to age. Meaning, he won't be helping us go deep in CL against best teams in very intense knockout games.

He wasn't setting the world on fire even at his peak, let alone now. His hair is all grey, looks like Salva Sevilla.

His movement and touch has definitely declined, he's been an easy nights work for defenders.

ajnotkeith

Maybe we should give benching him for an extended period of time a go.

I remember how we got him unsuspended for that one game against Espanyol and we ended up drawing that one too.

Even if we can't see it clearly ourselves he must be dragging down the team somehow because we only drop points when he's playing, somehow.

Andresito

Staff member
I think as long as he keeps this continuity of playing and training like he's done he'll be fine. The decline often comes after a period of not playing, either through injury or after a summer break as it's hard to gain momentum after becoming a bit rusty at an old age. It's good that he'll also be at the WC.

As long as he keeps his level up I don't see any reason for Xavi to sub him off to give him a rest just because he's old. It's what has worked for him in the past seasons and he should be treated like that until he shows otherwise. Resting him as a preventive measure to stop him from declining would probably give the opposite effect.

Was wrong about WC being good for him, but you get the point.

He lacks pace and that wont improve clearly.

Not many top teams would pay big money for a CF that lacks pace bar maybe likes of Kane who is so effective on ball when drops deeper.

Will still finish chances for most part but a big cost on books for declining player not what Barca needed last summer even if goals help win league.

Is pace so important with a team that has much ball possession? At Bayern the wingers have the pace when really needed.

At Bayern he worked in a 1.5 striker system with a "part-time"-partner who offered a lot movement, was sharing or even changing positions with him and is a superb assistant (today Musiala often is the recipient). They worked together the last 7 years and knew each other blindly - no wonder that it is not as easy for Lewy today!

Meanwhile, Choupo-Mouting is doing a marvellous job at Bayern.

He is a good striker - not as good as Lewy - but not the egoshooter Lewy has been the recent years, too.

vuji_31

Truth is, we didn't create many chances since there is no Pedri and Dembele.

He was bad with play up game, but he was not failing to score goals from clear chances.

Blackened

Well yes, he is very good but obviously no more than your standard striker. Meaning, he cant create anything by himself. He needs wingers and midfielders to feed him. He isnt -and never was - a dribbler. He cant get past his opponents like prime Henry or Luisito could. He is just a very efficient finisher who can do some neat one-two -stuff occasionally. I never ever understood the whole Ballondor argument for this fella. He scored a lot of goals? Well, yes... He scores a lot of goals. So do many other strikers.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Doubters go to hell. You'll see...his sheer athleticism and will is going to prevail. Yeah he is Polish but theres also good and clean white blood there. He can do it.

Home of Barca Fans