Alexis Sanchez

serghei

Alexis is not good enough for Barcelona because we have Messi and Neymar on the wings, who are 2 of the best 3-4 players in the world. If we didn't have Neymar, Alexis would've been the best player for our LW spot for sure.

We only sold him because we have Neymar and Messi on the wings, who are superior players. That's the only reason why we sold him.

So, no, Alexis Sanchez is not better than Neymar at LW. Yes, he is better than everyone else bar Neymar (and Ronaldo, but the possiblity of him playing at Barcelona is zero) at LW.

Just because he is not good enough to start for Barcelona doesn't mean he is not world class. He could easily start at Bayern for example, or at Atletico, PSG, Manchester City or any other top team that is not named Barcelona or (maybe) Real Madrid.

Last edited:

Observer

Banned
What has Chile's form or Arsenal's form has to do with anything?

Everything, because when you evaluate a player's quality and make bold statements like: "Alexis is a 2nd tier player" and you check his performances in Chile/Arsenal/FCB (last season), the pieces don't match with the evaluation. Also, like I said isolating a player in an club achievement discussion is stupid because you cherry pick and leave all the context out of the analysis.

Or what, his plays for Arsenal should have convinced me that he is actually good enough for Barca suddenly?

Nope, his past & current plays for Chile & Arsenal should have convinced you that Barca system was not for him, which is different than a overall quality level assessment.

And good displays for a 2nd tier teams doesn't change the fact that he is not good enough for top teams.

Another bold statement, Alexis has only played in one top team (Barca) in a system that doesn't really suit him. So your argument lacks evidence.

BTW, Chile won Copa America against tier 1 teams in SA.

This an advice for everyone: you shouldn't act like FCB is the panacea of modern football to measure player quality, and we are not talking about a game where player has stars and those stars determine how he's going to perform individually & collectively everywhere. That level of reasoning is for FIFA/PES and nothing more.

I'm gonna give you a prime example to deconstruct your logic:

Jupp Heynckes won everything with Bayern, Pep took over and he has not won CL since with basically the same squad. If I follow your train of thought I could say "Pep not good enough for Bayern" and if I follow your bold statement style I could say "Bayern with Pep = No CL" or "Pep is 2nd tier coach" which is ludicrous given the fact he already won everything with Barca & Bayern current system is different that the one that made those same players win everything.

Moral to the story? Context is everything.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

[MENTION=19442]Observer[/MENTION]

You can write 1000s of posts, to me:
1. Alexis is not good enough for Barca, because I think that his IQ isn't good enough for Barca
-- the guy was just lost here
-- now, for some players, it is just the problem of the system, for example, imo, for Ibrahimovic
-- he SURELY is good enough for Barca's level, but in those days, he didn't fit well. NOT because of quality or IQ
-- with Alexis, imo, he was/is/will never be good enough for Barca
-- he is not good enough to be a key player, like Messi/Neymar, for Barca's level
-- and as a 3rd guy, he is just lost and I seriously think that he doesn't know what he is supposed to do on the field

Further, Chile?
They won Copa America against crappy Argentina with Messi and 10 no name players and against the weakest Brasilian side since 1986'.
Plus, that Brasilian side was without suspended Neymar, more or less the only player who can play football in Brasil's team currently.

So what, NT success on a small sample of matches against questionable opponents (plus, Chile played at home) should have convinced me that Alexis is suddenly good enough for Barca? (When top club-teams are usually much stronger than any NT team.)
Again, with that logic, what about Greece in 2004'?
They won a much "bigger" tournament with more good teams, and yet, ZERO players of Greece team were good enough for Barca.

About 2nd tier teams, don't get offended.
I am not talking about Levante.
I am talking about 3-4-5 top teams in Europe.
Then about teams ranked (roughly) 5th to 10th place.
Then 10th to 20th place etc.

99,9% of players in the world are not good enough for Barca, Real and Bayern.
It is not exactly a huge insult when I say that someone is not for top 3-4 teams in the world.

About Pep in Bayern?
Well, Pep ruined that Bayern.

About Alexis for the end, key players at Barca like Ronaldinho, Etoo, Rivaldo, Messi, Neymar, Figo etc, had:
1. insane quality
2. balls/courage
3. they didn't have confidence problems
4. they had very decent footballing IQ

Alexis is lacking in at least 2 of these 4 areas, NO MATTER how well he plays for Chile or Everton. Sorry, Arsenal.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Sanchez is good enough for Barca if given LW role and main man in team.

It has nothing to do with 'intelligence'. He is a very clever player but his main strengths of movement off the ball needs freedom which he wont get playing back up to Messi.

Put Sanchez on the LW and make him main man and he would be more than good enough to play for Barca and be one of top players in the world.

Ask Ronaldo to play RW for Barca as a back up player to Messi and he would struggle. It is the same type of problem.

Observer

Banned
[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] You are the one writing novels but get trapped in the same argument inconsistencies.

-- now, for some players, it is just the problem of the system, for example, imo, for Ibrahimovic

Evidently as Ibra is a pure CF, and Alexis is used to move freely between the forward line and systems with vertical display & vertigo suits him the best.

-- he SURELY is good enough for Barca's level, but in those days, he didn't fit well. NOT because of quality or IQ

So now you changed your mind? Interesting

-- he is not good enough to be a key player, like Messi/Neymar, for Barca's level

Messi is not a key player, he is the best player in which the system gets accommodated to. Alexis was never going to fulfill that role, he wasn't even signed for that so I don't understand the comparison.

1. insane quality
2. balls/courage
3. they didn't have confidence problems
4. they had very decent footballing IQ

Alexis is lacking in at least 2 of these 4 areas, NO MATTER how well he plays for Chile or Everton. Sorry, Arsenal.

Funny enough, those are the exact attributes he has shown in both Chile/Arsenal

Again, moral to the story: CONTEXT

Last edited:

Mandrake

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]

Crappy Argentina? Messi and 10 no name players? Like Pastore, Mascherano, Tevez, Aguero, Di Maria? The same Argentina that played the WC final in 2014? In a match where Alexis chips the 4th penalty that gives Chile their first ever Copa America title? Last week he scored and led Chile to beat Brazil, but suddenly Argentina and Brazil are second tier teams and "questionable opponents".

Problem about your posts is that you say some very bold statements which aren't true. Therefore, you are read as a person that just hates Alexis.

Alexis is showing with his NT and Arsenal every week he's a beast and one of the best LW in the world. Great player, too bad he wasn't for Barca.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??

Crappy Argentina? Messi and 10 no name players? Like Pastore, Mascherano, Tevez, Aguero, Di Maria? The same Argentina that played the WC final in 2014? In a match where Alexis chips the 4th penalty that gives Chile their first ever Copa America title? Last week he scored and led Chile to beat Brazil, but suddenly Argentina and Brazil are second tier teams and "questionable opponents".

Problem about your posts is that you say some very bold statements which aren't true. Therefore, you are read as a person that just hates Alexis.

Alexis is showing with his NT and Arsenal every week he's a beast and one of the best LW in the world. Great player, too bad he wasn't for Barca.

Argentina has some big names up front but the team as a whole is garbage.
Where was aguero in the wc? Higuain? Pastore?
Chile is much better.

gasgas

i think alexis is good enough to start for Bayern on the LW, in place of Douglas Costa.
and bayern is a 1st tier team

Icarium

Lifestealer
Alexis is not good enough for barca. Real maybe.. Bayern yes. Any other team definite yes. Kdb Silva Sterling and Aguero for city, he will start ahead of sterling but still city wouldn't want him. Chelsea and United would die for him.

Catta

If he had never played for Barca, and you saw how he plays now, all of you would want him in the team

serghei

i think alexis is good enough to start for Bayern on the LW, in place of Douglas Costa.
and bayern is a 1st tier team

He is good enough to start at every team not named Barca and Real. Basically, the only LWs better than him are Ronaldo and Neymar.

Richard.H

To be fair Argentina's performance in the Copa America was just pathetic. Even with all those players, they were playing so terribly that you can't even compare it to their WC 2014 form.

DrPepper

Alexis is simply too inconsistent for my liking. He had a splendid last season for us, scoring amazing golazos left and right, with his chip in El Clasico and his thunderous effort in the title decider against Atletico being the standout goals. But anyone still remember DAT 2012/13 season when he was trippin' around and scoring his first goal on, like, matchday 25? :lol: While he's definitely not as bad as that, I think his level is somewhere in between.

As such, Arsenal is the club where he belongs imo. He can go on a scoreless run of 10 matches there and no one will care as long as he's delivering teh sacks in the odd game. Suarez scoring more Champions League goals after his first 4 matches than Sanchez in 3 years for us proves my point as well.

Home of Barca Fans