Andres Iniesta

dalitis8

Banned
Iniesta is a wonderful player with awesome potential, but if he wins this prize, the prize is simply useless. This is so far from close. Even barca have two players who deserve it more, let alone guys like sneijder. Ronaldo I suppose is out since there where no titles.

This would be true, if it wasnt for the fact that the prize has nothing to do with past performance.

You know that is not entirely true.

Pepe Silvia

Iniesta has taken his conditioning seriously this season. He has maintained strength and actually looks more conditioned than I've ever seen him.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
iniesta2.jpg

Elite-BkD

Iniesta is a wonderful player with awesome potential, but if he wins this prize, the prize is simply useless. This is so far from close. Even barca have two players who deserve it more, let alone guys like sneijder. Ronaldo I suppose is out since there where no titles.

This would be true, if it wasnt for the fact that the prize has nothing to do with past performance.

Sneijder, really? Inter had three better players and regardless, it's abundantly clear that Mourinho was far and away the most important man to their Treble. It was a great season for Inter but don't forget, Barca won the league with 99 points, that's never been matched in one of the top leagues.
Iniesta also happened to be ridiculously superior in the World Cup, played better as it went along straight to OT in the final, and is the only player who has shown that when he's on form he's genuinely unplayable. Even Xavi's impact can be diminished more.

Also, random note but gotta love that "Even barca have two players who deserve it more," and then "let alone guys like sneijder" as though sneijder and all the players on a par with him are miles ahead of Barca quality. There are plenty of midfielders that are as good as or better than Sneijder, even if we forget that 2010 didn't end in July and lately the great Sneijder pales in comparison to an 18yo Wilshere, nevermind Iniesta.

Povikas

Brandon
yes, what's up with Sneijder? what am i missing? he scored some goals and gave some assists, but the standard of his play is nowhere near the top3

I

IniestaBigGamePlayer

Iniesta's amazing mental strength and big game mentality is very underappreciated. I know you are all aware that he has scored big goals and shined in big games, but I still don't think this aspect of him is talked about enough. He isn't just a great big game player, he is unquestionably the best big game and big moment player in the world and there are countless examples. I'd say he has a Michael Jordan mentality in big games - Obviously completely different sports, but in big games and high pressure moments something clicks in their minds and they say "I'd rather die than lose".

Messi and Xavi are also strong mentally, but Iniesta has a Michael Jordan-esque ability to go to the next level in big games. He is already a great player, but my god, something possesses him in big games, and he becomes even better. He doesn't have the best shooting technique but my god, he shoots like a born finisher when it really matters in the biggest moments of the biggest games.

I know I'll get abuse for this, but Messi and Xavi both looked a bit scared and inhibited against Inter Milan in the semi finals of the champions league especially in the second leg at the Camp Nou. Messi did nothing except that one shot in the second leg. Xavi for some bizarre reason refused to shoot or rather was scared to shoot when he had two clear chances against Inter in the second leg at the Nou Camp. Also Xavi wasn't his fluent best and seemed very unusually inhibited. Notably Iniesta was injured and Barcelona were without him in both legs. Oh how they missed the mentally strong genius Iniesta.

Funnily enough despite Messi's incredible shooting technique and finishing ability, in a do or die situation with all the pressure in the world, I'd rather Iniesta take the shot than Messi. Messi is leagues above Iniesta in terms of shooting ability, but Iniesta is leagues above in terms of mental strength. I hate questioning Messi's mental strength, but I've seen so many examples of Messi going into his shell in big games and his shooting technique deteriorating.

Last season only injury stopped Iniesta from hitting the heights of 2008/2009 season where he got countless standing ovations. If he can stay injury free this season, I think he will even better than he was in 2008/2009. He showed amazing consistency in 2008/2009 season so I don't know why people say he is inconsistent. If he doesn't have any injury, he is just as consistent as Xavi and Messi, BUT more importantly he is better than both of them in big games.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
He has been secretly becoming a goal stealer from midfield. Four goals already ... on top of all his other fantastic work. The gem is being polished ... even more.

dalitis8

Banned
Iniesta's amazing mental strength and big game mentality is very underappreciated. I know you are all aware that he has scored big goals and shined in big games, but I still don't think this aspect of him is talked about enough. He isn't just a great big game player, he is unquestionably the best big game and big moment player in the world and there are countless examples. I'd say he has a Michael Jordan mentality in big games - Obviously completely different sports, but in big games and high pressure moments something clicks in their minds and they say "I'd rather die than lose".

Messi and Xavi are also strong mentally, but Iniesta has a Michael Jordan-esque ability to go to the next level in big games. He is already a great player, but my god, something possesses him in big games, and he becomes even better. He doesn't have the best shooting technique but my god, he shoots like a born finisher when it really matters in the biggest moments of the biggest games.

I know I'll get abuse for this, but Messi and Xavi both looked a bit scared and inhibited against Inter Milan in the semi finals of the champions league especially in the second leg at the Camp Nou. Messi did nothing except that one shot in the second leg. Xavi for some bizarre reason refused to shoot or rather was scared to shoot when he had two clear chances against Inter in the second leg at the Nou Camp. Also Xavi wasn't his fluent best and seemed very unusually inhibited. Notably Iniesta was injured and Barcelona were without him in both legs. Oh how they missed the mentally strong genius Iniesta.

Funnily enough despite Messi's incredible shooting technique and finishing ability, in a do or die situation with all the pressure in the world, I'd rather Iniesta take the shot than Messi. Messi is leagues above Iniesta in terms of shooting ability, but Iniesta is leagues above in terms of mental strength. I hate questioning Messi's mental strength, but I've seen so many examples of Messi going into his shell in big games and his shooting technique deteriorating.

Last season only injury stopped Iniesta from hitting the heights of 2008/2009 season where he got countless standing ovations. If he can stay injury free this season, I think he will even better than he was in 2008/2009. He showed amazing consistency in 2008/2009 season so I don't know why people say he is inconsistent. If he doesn't have any injury, he is just as consistent as Xavi and Messi, BUT more importantly he is better than both of them in big games.

I have been saying this ever since that treble season.

In terms of big games players, none compares to Andresito Iniesta. Absolutely genius point there mate.

Home of Barca Fans