Andrés Iniesta

The Observer

There has been space in the past few games. When given space, Barca are unbeatable I think.

Man, I think Barca fans have really lost their perception for "space". If what Real Sociedad did was "giving space" a few days ago (especially under the circumstances that they were a) playing at home and b) had to win by 3 goals to get into the Cup final), La Liga is a Catenaccio league right now. Let me show you a few pictures from Bayern's home game today:

s5nebbmh.png

The 4 white guys you can see there around the center circle? Yes, you got that right. That is Freiburg's backline.

2luy5ems.png

Those 6 white shirts pushed forward deep into Bayern's half when Bayern are building from the back to win the ball from them? Yes, that is right again. Freiburg.

Another picture a few minutes later so you don't think this is a one off situation that I have just cherry-picked:

uluiorbs.png

This is how Bundesliga teams play against Bayern in Bayern's stadium.

This is how Real Sociedad play against Barca in their own stadium when they must win:

28homsgx.png

y3we6d26.png

http://s1.directupload.net/images/140216/2c65kegd.png (only 5 images allowed, click the link)

Barca never get space anymore. Teams like Rayo with "we will die with this philosophy" attitude are the exception once in a bluemoon. Talking about bluemoon. Watch one of the most expensive teams ever assembled line up in 4-4-2 deep in their own half, playing exclusively on the break, squeezing the lines like a rape victim would squeeze its butt cheecks on Tuesday.

Last edited:

The Observer

A few more pictures from the Bayern game:

4vqjlc5a.png

This is the Freiburg goalkeeper after a back pass from Freiburgs' defender. You can't even see the Freiburg backline in their own half because he made that pass from around the halfway line.

zsekvtx9.png

Freiburg trying to win the ball in Bayern's buildup.

j3zl9fct.png

2nd half. Bayern's half is on the left side now. Where you can see the 6 - 7 Freiburg shirts.

In Spain most teams have adopted Mourinho's tactics against Barca. This one:

e75udl74.png

In Germany that is absolutely frowned upon. When we played Leverkusen and they parked the bus in the first half at home, they got heavily criticized here in Germany. Next game they had to play more openly and conceded 7 goals in 1 game. That's how Bundesliga rolls.

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
@The Observer the space we got from Sociadad for us that is an open game for us, the one Bayern are playing for us that will be the equivalent of playing alone on the pitch with that much space most teams would lose with 5+ goals to Barca

big_man

A few more pictures from the Bayern game:

4vqjlc5a.png

This is the Freiburg goalkeeper after a back pass from Freiburgs' defender. You can't even see the Freiburg backline in their own half because he made that pass from around the halfway line.

zsekvtx9.png

Freiburg trying to win the ball in Bayern's buildup.

j3zl9fct.png

2nd half. Bayern's half is on the left side now. Where you can see the 6 - 7 Freiburg shirts.

In Spain most teams have adopted Mourinho's tactics against Barca. This one:

e75udl74.png

In Germany that is absolutely frowned upon. When we played Leverkusen and they parked the bus in the first half at home, they got heavily criticized here in Germany. Next game they had to play more openly and conceded 7 goals in 1 game. That's how Bundesliga rolls.

One of the best posts I've ever seen on this website. They won't hear you though. I said this a couple of weeks ago while watching a Madrid game:

Watching this Madrid game it sparked a little thought in my head. An important one that people maybe don't consider.
In this game as it stands, Villareal have been much more attacking than they were against us and they've created some decent chances too. They're essentially playing 442 against Madrid. Against us they play a far more cynical game. The Sevilla game as well, they went to Madrid and attacked. Against us they were far more cagey. Do people not think if teams give us the space they give Madrid (and 99% of other teams) they'll get ripped apart?

EDIT:Just went over to whoscored.com to see if the amount of chances created matches with what I watched in the first half, as it turns out:

Villareal have 7 shots (2 on target) already at half time. Against us they had 3 shots (1 on target) all damn game.

Sevilla as well, against us they had 7 shots. Against Madrid they had 16!

Are we a victim of our playing style? Limiting teams to few chances? Or are teams happy to not attack all game and hope to score from their very few chances?

I just wasn't able to do a comparative analysis like you did and articulate it so well. It's incredible how such a fundamental factor is ignored while judging our team performances. I urge anyone to go and look at our games in 08/09 and see how teams open up against us, and how we struggled in games when the big teams parked the bus. Teams are still playing Bayern like they did us back in those games, not too worry though, that'll all change soon.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
One of the best posts I've ever seen on this website. They won't hear you though. I said this a couple of weeks ago while watching a Madrid game:

I just wasn't able to do a comparative analysis like you did and articulate it so well. It's incredible how such a fundamental factor is ignored while judging our team performances. I urge anyone to go and look at our games in 08/09 and see how teams open up against us, and how we struggled in games when the big teams parked the bus. Teams are still playing Bayern like they did us back in those games, not too worry though, that'll all change soon.

Not sure about that, most Buli teams have long surrendered to Bayern that they could careless, so much so that Ralph Honigstein said he hopes Buli teams would raise the bar in front of Bayern instead of just raising the white flag.

Home of Barca Fans