Andres Iniesta

JamDav1982

He's nowhere near his previous level, which is fine. However the decline has happened dreppressingly fast and he just isn't contributing enough to the team right now, if he doesn't get his shit together soon then we will struggle to compete with the big boys.

He has been declining for the past few years.

It was clear last season he was not the same player. He wasnt as effective on the ball and offered next to nothing defensively.

Yet people still seemed to think he was as good as ever.

No surprise at all to me the way he is playing this season. I actually think people are going over the top about it and he is still easily a starting eleven player because the midfield options are so poor.

JamDav1982

I blame Lucho's system for Iniesta's lack of form this season. Our style of play does its very best to ignore the midfield completely at times, even (Thinking back to Mascherano's long ball that led to an immediate Torres goal).

Iniesta has 0 goals and 0 assists in La Liga this season. There's no way that's entirely down to him. It's not like he's showing us how blatantly behind the rest of the XI is the way Pedro does most of the time he plays. The system just doesn't have any use for him.

Part of the reason why I'd still get rid of Lucho if given the chance, even despite the win streak.

Iniesta was a shadow of himself last season and in the World Cup in systems he has played in for years.

Luchos system doesnt get the best out of him but prime Iniesta is long gone.

Zangash

Banned
Iniesta was a shadow of himself last season and in the World Cup in systems he has played in for years.

Oh, there is absolutely no doubting he has had significant decline. But just as everyone was all over Busi during the time prior to Messi moving the the RW and Alves playing more central in attack, his form as of now has a lot to do with the current system.

Seriously speaking, which one of our midfielders has actually had a good season so far? Yeah, declining players plays a part in that, but they were on the decline last season and the season prior to that, too. Even Iniesta on his poorest form is capable of giving us... something. Even Pedro on his poorest form is capable of giving us something.

Observer

Banned

It was clear last season he was not the same player. He wasnt as effective on the ball and offered next to nothing defensively.

No surprise at all to me the way he is playing this season. I actually think people are going over the top about it and he is still easily a starting eleven player because the midfield options are so poor.

Yup, he lacking form too and it shows. He makes some sparks of brilliance here and there (cuz that amount of talent cant go away) but consistency has been poor.

I can't put the blame completely on him though, looks like the entire MF is a big question mark.

DinhoR10

Last season he also had performances of epic proportions such as the classicos and the first leg against atletico. Which leads me to believe the problem isn't him losing the ability to play at his best.

khorne

I'm almost certain that if you sell iniesta to bayern right now and he plays under pep with those quality team mates, you'd have prime iniesta back. But imo that's not the point, the question is can barca, with it's current resources successfully field a team like that and should they even do so? if the majority of our players will click much better in a different system, then sacrificing iniesta is an acceptable price.

What i find irritating though, is that after every single game you can read for the hundredth time how iniesta has declined, that he shouldn't play, he should step up or else and in the end you get someone like lomar1o who suggests he should ask to be benched out of decency.

The current situation is what it is. If we could buy other players or if our midfield alternatives would become world class overnight we could bench the little clown. and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Lucho has many flaws, but he's one pragmatic bastard and if he plays iniesta that's not out of kindness, that's because for all his decline he still offers more than the alternatives.

Also, you never really know with iniesta, he's always been one for the big games. he may surprise us yet.

JamDav1982

I'm almost certain that if you sell iniesta to bayern right now and he plays under pep with those quality team mates, you'd have prime iniesta back. But imo that's not the point, the question is can barca, with it's current resources successfully field a team like that and should they even do so? if the majority of our players will click much better in a different system, then sacrificing iniesta is an acceptable price.

What i find irritating though, is that after every single game you can read for the hundredth time how iniesta has declined, that he shouldn't play, he should step up or else and in the end you get someone like lomar1o who suggests he should ask to be benched out of decency.

The current situation is what it is. If we could buy other players or if our midfield alternatives would become world class overnight we could bench the little clown. and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Lucho has many flaws, but he's one pragmatic bastard and if he plays iniesta that's not out of kindness, that's because for all his decline he still offers more than the alternatives.

Also, you never really know with iniesta, he's always been one for the big games. he may surprise us yet.

I doubt that he would go back to his best under Pep, the pure passing style was still being used by Spain and he has not looked the same player.

This idea that Iniesta has always been good in big games is way out of date, he has been poor in the vast majority of big games for the last couple of years.

Having said all that I would still have him in the starting eleven easily and think people are going to over the top in claiming the likes of Xavi and Rafinha should be starting ahead of him.

raskolnikov

Tired of people acting like Silva is a better player than Iniesta, he may give more assists but he is nowhere close to Iniesta's overall ability, there is a reason why Iniesta has had his position on lock for years over the likes of Mata, Cazorla and Silva in the Spanish nt.

I am dissapointed we so rarely get to see what the don is capable of, its a huge difference compared to 2012 for example when he was in great form, especially in the first half of 12/13.

F

forcabarca

When on form, he is an absolute treat to watch. Especially gliding past players as if they don't exist makes us go "wooow! get outta here!". Sadly, I've to agree that he's definitely on the decline and since you don't see much emotions from him, it is bit difficult to identify whether he's simply disinterested or just out-of-form. I can only recollect 2-3 very good "Iniesta of the past" performances this season.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Iniesta has long been my favorite player, today would be a great day for him to find his form.

Mine too.

He will start today, he has to. Experience counts for something in these type of fixtures, it is not like we have some quality replacement for him. Iniesta is still trying to figure out his role in enrique side. Messi moving to right has isolated iniesta in midfield. Neymar and suarez never try to do 1-2's with iniesta and it has been hard for him to play on the same wavelength as his teammates. I hope he finds some form otherwise it will be hard for us to win some titles.

And i also want neymar to do some quick passes to iniesta and include him more in the game. Neymar holds on to the ball too much and when a defender comes near instead of passing to the close man he tries to drag the defender to half line and deliver a back pass. Either that or a pass to other two forwards, barca are not trying to use their midfield and it is making it hard for iniesta to shine. Without his confidence he is doing bad at taking on defenders and delivering simple passes too.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I thought he had a really good game today, after Messi he was easily our best player on the ball, kept possession extremely well and was a huge part in our not allowing City to get a foothold into the game

Home of Barca Fans