Antoine Griezmann

Didno

That is a good question. I am not a fan of trying to find the "new Xavi" or some type of controlling CM. Its bound to be a very poor mans Xavi. Xavi was unique. We're better off buying quality midfielders even if they dont come with the "new Xavi" tag. I'd love to see Saul play for us, but realize its almost impossible. Fabinho would be great and Lyon have two very interesting midfielders: N'Dombele and Aouar.

Yeah, Saul would be a ideal fit but as you say almost impossible. I like Fabian Ruiz as well, think he remains a lot about Saul regarding style of play. Arthur for max 30m + Fabian Ruiz would be my choices for the midfield. I like Fabinho but seems we never been interested. Our own Roberto is really quality so we need Semedo to success so he can play midfield.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I believe the money we got from selling Neymar was paid in one payment and that was it, whereas the money we spent buying Dembele and Coutinho is going to be paid in multiple installment over time.

Sorin

Makes sense from City's perspective. Don't know what would it do for Atletico though. They just brought Costa back and Aguero is a similar type of forward. They are better off if City outright pays his clause tbf. Not to mention that Aguero is 30 already.

Btw fuck City.

Catta

Griezmann is 27 in a couple of months. I can see him decline like Van Persie, Eto'o etc.

And Neymar will be 26 in a couple of days, by your logic, if we kept Neymar we would have to replace him in 3 seasons, lol. And i can bet you right now that Neymar will decline before Griezmann. You can not compare him to Eto'o and Van Persie, one decided to go in a retirement league at 30 and chase money, the other had a career full of injuries, and had only 2 great seasons, when he luckily had no injuries. And so what if he declines at 31, still would be a great deal, for 100 mil we would get 4 years.

Edit.
There is no way that Atleti accept that proposal. Aguero is persona non grata in that part of Madrid, after his comments about wanting to play for Real, and also he has fallen out with Atletis board.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

They're reporting this on SkyNews sports ..

Told ya guys .. we have no agreement to get this guy at 100 million as everyone seems to believe ..

Who has said there is an agreement for that?

No way Atletico agree to a straight swap and pay 100m for Aguero anyway.

khaled_a_d

Barcelona can't do that. This can be done by Ajax or Sevilla or Borussia. Top European clubs have to sign best players and not only young players since they have to continue wining all of the time. You can incorporate 2 or 3 very young players like we are doing now with Dembele and probably Alena next year but you can't do that with 50% of players. Also Umtiti, Mats, Mina, Semedo, Coutinho and Sergi Roberto are still young. Alba is also in his best years, so I would say we are not an old team, not even near that. When you are talking about Griezmann you are talking like he is an old player while he is 26 years old. He for sure has 4 or 5 years left on top level in his feet, for me that's more than enough.

What we will need the most is one young controlling CM player but I believe we are working on that also.

Can't do what? We are already signing stars, it isn't like I am saying we should just sign prospects and players from France. You are making it like Barcelona should build a team of Galacticos and only sign expensive players, that is what we can't do
And what 50% of players? We only have Dembele who is going to be younger than 24 next season from current squad, and you can't just say "very young players" on him, he was signed as young super star, was one of best players in Bundesliga and one of most expensive in history and we will need to incorporate him in our attack along Coutinho himself, may be if one of them proved that he will never add something to our attack we can worry that much about adding Griezmann
All the players you are mentioning are the middle of their twenties, they are already in their prime or near there prime , and for the record I gave examples, we could go for older or younger players, forget the names
And he will be over 27 when he is signed for the record, he won't be old but I would prefer someone who isn't from same exact generation of half of the squad, or little older

Griezmann is neither an urgent need, or sure thing to fit in the team or a can't miss opportunity, neither is he going to come with fair price unless he is stupid and ask less than he can get, I would honestly prefer to be patient and see if there is someone else evolve in the market next season rather than blow the whole buget on him

Is 27 the new 31 now?

Here is a list of most expensive players in history, only 2 players from top 15 was 27 or older (VVD is a bit close to that age too tbf)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers
8 out of 38 players in the list transferred after 2009 was 27 or older, many of them are questionable deals
There is a surely trend about younger player being the more expensive ones tbh. Less than decade ago it was normal that a 29 years old player to be very expensive but that isn't really the case anymore tbh

Total-Football

Griezmann is 27 in a couple of months. I can see him decline like Van Persie, Eto'o etc.

Eto'o played his best season EVER at the age of 30 years old, scoring 37 goals and equilizing Fat ronaldo' record. Then he left to Russia.

Not only his goal record was great at that age but physically i have never seen him better and his speed and acceleration were insane too.

George_Costanza

Eto'o played his best season EVER at the age of 30 years old, scoring 37 goals and equilizing Fat ronaldo' record. Then he left to Russia.

Not only his goal record was great at that age but physically i have never seen him better and his speed and acceleration were insane too.

I don't know, but he was so frustrating the last season played with Barcelona and used to miss sitters every game.

Jombi

And Neymar will be 26 in a couple of days, by your logic, if we kept Neymar we would have to replace him in 3 seasons, lol. And i can bet you right now that Neymar will decline before Griezmann. You can not compare him to Eto'o and Van Persie, one decided to go in a retirement league at 30 and chase money, the other had a career full of injuries, and had only 2 great seasons, when he luckily had no injuries. And so what if he declines at 31, still would be a great deal, for 100 mil we would get 4 years.

Edit.
There is no way that Atleti accept that proposal. Aguero is persona non grata in that part of Madrid, after his comments about wanting to play for Real, and also he has fallen out with Atletis board.

Wouldnt be a great deal when we have to ruin the system we have now and not get the most out of the players by shackling them. Griezmann will be given a crazy wage which very likely will be significantly higher than the transfer fee itself. Overall, we would splash big on something that is likely to weaken us.

Last edited:

Jombi

He was mostly 29 years old that season. How many 32 year old strikers are great today? Almost everyone is younger than 32. Griezmann is supposed to play out of position as a lone striker right? Or on the left wing while "rotating" with Dembele and Suarez? I just dont see the point in this transfer.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
He was mostly 29 years old that season. How many 32 year old strikers are great today? Almost everyone is younger than 32. Griezmann is supposed to play out of position as a lone striker right? Or on the left wing while "rotating" with Dembele and Suarez? I just dont see the point in this transfer.

Griezmann will turn 32 on 2023. That is 5yrs (4 full seasons) from now.

Home of Barca Fans