Aurelien Tchouameni

Laplacian

I don't know, sportwashing is pretty smart

People forget other horrible things pretty quickly.

PR point of view very smart

If you want good PR you could get it by investing those billions in your people and democratising your country, instead of using it for football clubs. No one said it wasn't smart, I just said that it's basically a vanity project by autocrats with little care for their people and more for their supposed 'image.'

FinBarcelonafan

If you want good PR you could get it by investing those billions in your people and democratising your country, instead of using it for football clubs. No one said it wasn't smart, I just said that it's basically a vanity project by autocrats with little care for their people and more for their supposed 'image.'

They don't believe those things so tough to do

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
The crying from football fans regarding state backed clubs is fucking getting tiresome.
Fucking bunch of hypocritical wankers especially when it comes to Madrid the first state backed club.

The Best thing PSG ever did for us was paying 220m for a single player unfortunately we had a moron in charge just like they do. Clubs just need to be smarter and Madrid are just salty because they can't be the big bad wolf anymore.

By far my favourite take though is football fans acting like they care about world issues and human rights lol good one, they only care because it enabled other clubs to dethrone the established elite.

khaled_a_d

I don't know, sportwashing is pretty smart

People forget other horrible things pretty quickly.

PR point of view very smart

Is it really sportwashing at this point?
It isn't really like Qatar or UAE governments care that much anout what European think about them, and it isn't really like most EU governments care about their actions either.

If anything those clubs actually put the spotlight on the whole thing.
Seems like just smart way of marketing your countries, the reputation of their airlines, banks etc has all benefits from those sport involvement.

Country like KSA for example has way too much influence in USA to care about sportwashing in UK throw Newcastle, Qatar involvement in France is way before PSG etc.

Not saying that those governments or the involvement in clubs are pure or anything, but feel people overrate the role of sports in the whole matter. Nothing would have changed if Qatar, UAE has never bought those clubs.

cracken

The crying from football fans regarding state backed clubs is fucking getting tiresome.
Fucking bunch of hypocritical wankers especially when it comes to Madrid the first state backed club.

The Best thing PSG ever did for us was paying 220m for a single player unfortunately we had a moron in charge just like they do. Clubs just need to be smarter and Madrid are just salty because they can't be the big bad wolf anymore.

By far my favourite take though is football fans acting like they care about world issues and human rights lol good one, they only care because it enabled other clubs to dethrone the established elite.

The actual hypocrisy is that most of these clubs are indirectly taking money from these same sources. Sponsorship aside (Fly Emirates, Qatar Airways etc..), networks like BEIN Sports have poured billions of dollars into UEFA and European League's coffers with inflated TV rights deals.

El Gato

Villarato!
The funnier part in all that is Newcastle fans being happy about binning Ashley and throwing hands up in the air over who the replacement is, on the basis of pointing out others do the same
And even more funny that if this happened to RM/Barca etc, the same fans who claim these Newcastle/PSG fans are morally bankrupt would eventually do the same and accept it themselves given enough time

Jair Ventura

Qatari nationals have a higher standard of living than citizens of every western country.

Jair Ventura

Norway is an actual country that cares about its citizens and future, their sovereign wealth funds is a safety net for their citizens.

Norway isn't the personification of the vanity of some autocratic dictator and his family, it's a country that exists for it's people. It's only normal that it's citizens (Morte) share the same values.

I literally can't imagine my own country going around wasting billions on football clubs for good PR. Unthinkable.

Qatar ranked 11th, two spots from Norway:

https://livingcost.org/best

Jair Ventura

Foreign workers, who cares about them, right?

- Plenty of expats enjoy their experiences in Qatar

- How do you feel about the United States carrying only 5% of the worlds population, yet 25% of its prison population? All legal slaves eligible to be leased out to corporations. Disproportionately black and brown, nearly half of are non violent offenders. Or how about the illegal invasion of Iraq, and the millions of citizens that were either displaced or murdered as a result?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Trying to whitewash Qatar's shit reputation with regards to foreign workers and their treatment of them is a weird hill to die on. Sometimes you have to be able to separate the people in charge from the club you support.

Morten

- Plenty of expats enjoy their experiences in Qatar

- How do you feel about the United States carrying only 5% of the worlds population, yet 25% of its prison population? All legal slaves eligible to be leased out to corporations. Disproportionately black and brown, nearly half of are non violent offenders. Or how about the illegal invasion of Iraq, and the millions of citizens that were either displaced or murdered as a result?

You are a joke.

Home of Barca Fans