Aymeric Laporte

J

Jamie Cal

Barcelona defenders are some of the most exposed in football. I dont agree it is a team where poor defenders can get away with things. Just look at this season and how poor the defenders have been and the result of that.

Being a Barca CB is tougher than any other club in my opinion and Laporte last season had a lot of games that his positioning was awful and he got exposed. That would only have been worse at Barca.

Oh, no, I agree with that, it's the same reasoning why I think Vern's mobility could be huge for us. I meant it more in a 'when it rains, it pours' way. Athletic were fucked, Valverde almost sacked. Not that it totally vindicates Laporte but still.

JamDav1982

Oh, no, I agree with that, it's the same reasoning why I think Vern's mobility could be huge for us. I meant it more in a 'when it rains, it pours' way. Athletic were fucked, Valverde almost sacked. Not that it totally vindicates Laporte but still.

Bilbao were poor last season and Laporte was a part of that. He looked just as disorganised and erratic as anyone for large spells.

I think he is a good player and will get better but he was too raw last season for what Barca wanted.

J

Jamie Cal

Bilbao were poor last season and Laporte was a part of that. He looked just as disorganised and erratic as anyone for large spells.

I think he is a good player and will get better but he was too raw last season for what Barca wanted.

Indeed. If the argument is about getting him last year, then I agree, Masche was good last year, as was Mathieu, especially during our run at the start. This is why I was saying next summer is the right time.

khaled_a_d

Vermaelen + Mathieu were basically Laporte's buy out, right? So sad.

At the start of June? Yep.

No,Laporte accepted renewal b4 June and his buyout turned to 42M,add taxes and that was around 50M or more .
even if not it was 36M b4 renewal and with tax that is more than 42
Vermaelen so far costed only 10M.unless we win another 2 CL that he plays into ,and plays a certain amount of games he won't cost more .
Mathieu on paper costed 20M ,but what people forgot that we didn't accept to pay more than 17 and that was deal breaker ,Mathieu decided to take pay cut from his wages so the 3M will be paid from it .so basically the deal for the club was just 17M
so that is more like 27M vs 42 .in a season we had to pay for the likes of Suarez ,Rakitic,Bravo,MATS .I would have loved that the 10M of Vermaelen and 4M of Douglas was spent for better player but Laporte was just out of our financial ability
Now,if we are gonna say that those 27M was paid for someone who was actually good enough to be starter immediately and cost same 27M like Benatia?

How different things coulda been if we didn't take the cheap option in Alex Song and got Javi Martinez. *sigh*

We would have had no money for Neymar ,and Javi was gonna be a bench player .he isn't better than Busquets and he is literally an awful fit for a CB with Pique

He'll be going next summer. Barca, Chelsea, United, probably Real will all be looking for a centre-half, and left-footed centre-halfs are hard to find (not that favoured foot is quintessential).

He'd be perfect for us. He's well able to step out and play one Pique, and he's a hardy buck too. I hope we get Nolito in January, don't panic buy, wait til Summer, and get Laporte + midfielder (will probably be Pogba).

50M buyout + taxes
Does anyone like him enough to make him the most expensive defender BY FAR ?

50 M plus tax?

I'm sure Porto would use that money to buy half a team of great but cheap unaffirmated players-and then sell them for quadrupple cash... but that's Porto, they got best people on positions of scouts...

Jombi

No,Laporte accepted renewal b4 June and his buyout turned to 42M,add taxes and that was around 50M or more .
even if not it was 36M b4 renewal and with tax that is more than 42
Vermaelen so far costed only 10M.unless we win another 2 CL that he plays into ,and plays a certain amount of games he won't cost more .
Mathieu on paper costed 20M ,but what people forgot that we didn't accept to pay more than 17 and that was deal breaker ,Mathieu decided to take pay cut from his wages so the 3M will be paid from it .so basically the deal for the club was just 17M

Dont forget that Mathieu and Vermaelen were given 4 and 5 year contracts. Those two will cost us ALOT of money.

khaled_a_d

Dont forget that Mathieu and Vermaelen were given 4 and 5 year contracts. Those two will cost us ALOT of money.

Never denied they were costly ,but Laporte was simply out of our price range .and as [MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION] said he wasn't gonna give us a valuable option right away .he wasn't ready and probably not even ready right now either .

I like Laporte as a prospect ,but for me he is sort of the Pogba of defenders ,his price is just so insane and their a lot of question marks surrounding him .and unlike Pogba he isn't half proven as him

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Never denied they were costly ,but Laporte was simply out of our price range .and as @JamDav1982 said he wasn't gonna give us a valuable option right away .he wasn't ready and probably not even ready right now either .

I like Laporte as a prospect ,but for me he is sort of the Pogba of defenders ,his price is just so insane and their a lot of question marks surrounding him .and unlike Pogba he isn't half proven as him

How is Laporte less ready than Gimenez? Put Laporte alongside Godin in that Atletico team and he'll perform as well or better than Gimenez too.

khaled_a_d

How is Laporte less ready than Gimenez? Put Laporte alongside Godin in that Atletico team and he'll perform as well or better than Gimenez too.

No,Gimenez is the better player.it isn't just about the players beside him .he has much better understanding to the game and overall he is superior player
Edit ,and it isn't like the team was aware of Gimenez in summer 2014

JamDav1982

No,Gimenez is the better player.it isn't just about the players beside him .he has much better understanding to the game and overall he is superior player
Edit ,and it isn't like the team was aware of Gimenez in summer 2014

Gimenez at Atletico is heavily protected due to way they play.

Two DMs usually cover, at least one fullback is always back and they play deeper on the counter.

Effectively at Atletico they are penalty box defenders a lot of the time.

Would he be more capable than Laporte at Barca where you have to play a high line, exposed, get pulled to full back areas and be asked to take ball out from back?

I doubt it.

khaled_a_d

Gimenez at Atletico is heavily protected due to way they play.

Two DMs usually cover, at least one fullback is always back and they play deeper on the counter.

Effectively at Atletico they are penalty box defenders a lot of the time.

Would he be more capable than Laporte at Barca where you have to play a high line, exposed, get pulled to full back areas and be asked to take ball out from back?

I doubt it.

He has very good speed,more strength ,better awareness ,better in dealing one vs one situation .he is more consistent . so yes .I think he is safer bet to translate than Laporte even in a high line defense IMO .if he doesn't renew he would cost less btw and he is for me the more proven ,the younger player . if both available I would take Gimenez over Laporte .may be if an americale happens and Bilbao became ready to lower Lapoorte asking price then I would love to have him here .his potential is insane for sure

JamDav1982

He has very good speed,more strength ,better awareness ,better in dealing one vs one situation .he is more consistent . so yes .I think he is safer bet to translate than Laporte even in a high line defense IMO .if he doesn't renew he would cost less btw and he is for me the more proven ,the younger player . if both available I would take Gimenez over Laporte .may be if an americale happens and Bilbao became ready to lower Lapoorte asking price then I would love to have him here .his potential is insane for sure

Disgaree that he is faster or stronger. Atletico set up makes some defenders look better than they are.

Just look at Miranda.

Both are good players. Laporte more of a Barca type potentially for me.

khaled_a_d

Disgaree that he is faster or stronger. Atletico set up makes some defenders look better than they are.

Just look at Miranda.

Both are good players. Laporte more of a Barca type potentially for me.

I didn't say Gimenez is faster because I know Laporte is faster ,but he is fast enough for our defense .I think he much stronger though .
Laporte has bigger potential ,but right now I don't thin he is better ,he has a lot of areas to improve . he has the perfect physical tools and skillset but the later isn't developed enough IMHO .and there is always a question if it is gonna develop enough until it happens
If he was gonna cost cost 35-40M I would have said he is worth taking the risk.but for that insane buyout? he has put himself out of anyone reach imo when he renewed .again 50M + taxes will make him the most expensive defender in the history by some margin

Home of Barca Fans