Ballon d'Or 2011

Manuel Traquete

@Manuel
If the 2 prizes wouldn't have merged, Sneijder would have won the France Football's Ballon d'Or and Messi FIFA World Player of the Year. So Messi hasn't "stole" anything from Xavi or Iniesta because they wouldn't have won in the first place(mainly because Xavi had a poor WC and Iniesta was injured for half a year).

I'm confused now, where did I ever claim Messi had stolen anything from anyone? Are you sure that was meant at me? Also, Xavi didn't have a poor World Cup...

It's good the award are merged because they're essentially the same thing. One is voted by journalists, the others by players/captains, it's much more practical to just count all the votes at the same time.

X

xaviniesta

There's no criteria whatsoever. It's people like you or me (only more involved with football) voting for who they think is the best. It's as if we started a poll in this forum, only instead of having only Barca fans voting, you have coaches/players/journalists from all over the world.

i highly doubt that some of the players have the time (and will) to see all the games in all the leagues to make a fair judgement. you think some of the players watching brasileiro serie a to judge neymar for example ?

Maria

@Manuel
I didn't implied that you said that..but we all remember what happend when Messi won last year. And I'm not so sure that it's good that the 2 prizes have merged. The journalist are more objective and have time to watch a reasonable number of games, while most of the players are voting who the like.

Manuel Traquete

@Manuel
I didn't implied that you said that..but we all remember what happend when Messi won last year. And I'm not so sure that it's good that the 2 prizes have merged. The journalist are more objective and have time to watch a reasonable number of games, while most of the players are voting who the like.

Journalists are biased too, they just have a different kind of bias. Humans are biased by nature and will vote for who they prefer. I don't think it is ever possible that one of these votes is completely unbiased. But unless some infallible statistical method to determine who the best player is is found out in the future, a sum of all biases (because that's what the final result is) is the fairest way to determine who the best player is.

That'd only be a problem if the top of the game was competitive, if 2/3 players were of similar quality it'd come down to who the most likeable player is. But in the current scenario where Messi reigns supreme, it really isn't a big issue. It's not like there are any other viable candidates.

Manuel Traquete

i highly doubt that some of the players have the time (and will) to see all the games in all the leagues to make a fair judgement. you think some of the players watching brasileiro serie a to judge neymar for example ?

No. You're right. I'm not saying the current method is perfect, but it's as close as it gets imo because it gives representatives of every nation a say. I don't think there's any way to eliminate the inevitable bias of a voted award.

X

xaviniesta

No. You're right. I'm not saying the current method is perfect, but it's as close as it gets imo because it gives representatives of every nation a say. I don't think there's any way to eliminate the inevitable bias of a voted award.

but the journalists of all counrties are still voting.

they should actually forbit to vote for your own club or national teammates. that would make a lot of sense. and for your friends too... pfff

Manuel Traquete

but the journalists of all counrties are still voting.

they should actually forbit to vote for your own club or national teammates. that would make a lot of sense. and for your friends too... pfff

Voting for national teammates is already forbidden. Voting for club teammates should also be forbidden, that's the one improvement that could be made imo. Voting for your friends? How could a rule like that possibly be applied?

If you can suggest a fairer method to determine the player of the year, I'm all ears.

I don't think how it can get any fairer than players, coaches and journalists from every nation on Earth, everyone gets a say. Is it biased? Of course. But how can a voted award ever not be biased? Humans are biased by nature.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I have this really really bad feeling that Cronaldo is gonna win it. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Is it because CR7 scored less number of goals than MEssi in this year!?
Or is it because he only scored in meaningless matches while MEssi was a total monster in the latter part of CL last season!?
Or is it because CR7 won the mighty Copa del ray while MEssi won the league and CL!?
Or is it because CR7 hasn't scored as many deciders(game openers & winners) as did MEssi!?
Or is it because CR7 scored like tons of Penaldos more than MEssi!?
Or is it because CR7 hasn't provided as many direct assists as did MEssi!?

WHY!?

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
I have this really really bad feeling that Cronaldo is gonna win it. Hopefully I'm wrong.
its not like he wouldnt deserve it...man has been on fire

but it will come down to head to head and messi scored one of the most amazing goals in barca history to ensure a classico win in the CL by barca and that will edge him the trophy and the game winning goal in the CL final doesnt hurt also

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Voting for national teammates is already forbidden. Voting for club teammates should also be forbidden, that's the one improvement that could be made imo. Voting for your friends? How could a rule like that possibly be applied?

If anything, it's voting for National Teammates that makes more sense compared to voting for Club teammates

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Don't kill me for this but last year Don had a better season than Xavi... I think the maestro got ahead in the votes based just on his charisma

BarcaGirl

Reading through comments on Twitter/Facebook and other social sites, everyone wants Ronaldo or Xavi to win it. Seems like people are tired of Messi winning all the time and talking the same crap all over again ...he's nothing without Xaviniesta, he can't perform with his NT, he would be nothing in PL, .... :angry: I'm tired of all this bullshit.

Lately Leo is getting so much hate. Or is it just pure jealousy, because he's the best?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans