Barca draws Man City

PacoBJuarez

So I was flipping through channels this morning and I saw that the NBC Sports was airing the Man City match against Fulham. It's just past half right now... and this has really been enlightening to watch. They don't look fluid, or particularly comfortable when not in possession, but they are very opportunistic and relentless in attack.

They are prone to moments of panic and disorganization while defending, as Fulham just scored and Man City really looked bad on that build-up. If they defend like that, we'll have no problem scoring.

Yaya had an insane free kick goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbCvjCvboU

EDIT:
Some more thoughts:
- They're playing Clichy at RB, and he looks COMPLETELY lost. Fulham has dominated the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half, and they've done it going down the left side and taking advantage of Clichy. Neymar would eat him for breakfast. He seriously looks terrible.
- Man City, not having possession much so far in the 2nd half, looks really bad. They're scrambling, out of position, and allowing for chance after chance. Fulham should have tied this match up. Navas just came on for Dzeko, so I'm curious to see how he changes things. We're probably more likely to see a formation similar to this than the 2-striker formation Man City played for the first 60 minutes with Dzeko and Negredo.

2nd EDIT:
- And there you go. Navas comes in, steadies the game, holds possession, and Man City completely blew a great chance... twice. Navas looks really good.

Last edited:

Ghosting

Some more thoughts:
- They're playing Clichy at RB, and he looks COMPLETELY lost. Fulham has dominated the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half, and they've done it going down the left side and taking advantage of Clichy. Neymar would eat him for breakfast. He seriously looks terrible.
- Man City, not having possession much so far in the 2nd half, looks really bad. They're scrambling, out of position, and allowing for chance after chance. Fulham should have tied this match up. Navas just came on for Dzeko, so I'm curious to see how he changes things. We're probably more likely to see a formation similar to this than the 2-striker formation Man City played for the first 60 minutes with Dzeko and Negredo.

I've watched a lot of their past games since we drew them, I definitely noticed they try to hassle the player when the ball is arriving to him but they do it individually and it massively drags their players out of position, sometimes you see Kompany sprint 20 yards to run down the man being passed to. Also i highly doubt Clichy will be used at Rb against us unless Zabaleta and Richards are injured

PacoBJuarez

I've watched a lot of their past games since we drew them, I definitely noticed they try to hassle the player when the ball is arriving to him but they do it individually and it massively drags their players out of position, sometimes you see Kompany sprint 20 yards to run down the man being passed to. Also i highly doubt Clichy will be used at Rb against us unless Zabaleta and Richards are injured

They're both currently out, but you're right, they'll both be back within the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: And holy cow, Navas is on fire. He just flew by his marker, delivered a pinpoint cross to Nasri arriving late in the box (the kind of run we really have trouble defending), and Nasri hit nothing but air. Incredible play and impact from Navas so far in only ten minutes.

EDIT: More panicky defending from Man City. Kompany just had a really poor clearance that flew in the upper left corner of the net. Match tied. Fulham still bossing mostly, with the exception of Navas making great runs with the ball.

Last edited:

Ghosting

I believe they're both currently injured, not sure on timetable for return.

Well to be honest Zabaleta isn't great defending anyway certainly not enough to contain Neymar at his best, Richards is physically a beast but he was terrible against Bayern in the first game. Clichy isn't good at LB so it isn't surprising to here he isn't doing great at Rb. And also i just saw that hilarious own goal

PacoBJuarez

Yeah, that was bad. Kompany plays so well most of the time, but he just seems to make one really bone-headed play a match.

Ghosting

This team they are playing right now, minus Clichy could well be the team they start against us. Milner LW to help track Alves, Negredo possibly ahead of Aguero to be more of a physical presence. Maybe they might not start Silva, it really depends how much Pellegrini fears being dominated in the midfield.

PacoBJuarez

This team they are playing right now, minus Clichy could well be the team they start against us. Milner LW to help track Alves, Negredo possibly ahead of Aguero to be more of a physical presence. Maybe they might not start Silva, it really depends how much Pellegrini fears being dominated in the midfield.

Good point. I could definitely see Milner starting to counter Alves as opposed to coming in late as a sub.

Navas just scored, what a run. He's a beast. If they don't start him in this form, they're insane. Great Xavi-esque pass from David Silva to set him up.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Negredo hasn't really done anything against Fulham, he seems to struggle when he has to be the main striker rather than the support one lie he is when Aguero is playing.

Ghosting

That goal is what I fear most, a punt up the field by Kompany, Negredo winning it Navas using his pace and scoring, quick as you like.

PacoBJuarez

Negredo hasn't really done anything against Fulham, he seems to struggle when he has to be the main striker rather than the support one lie he is when Aguero is playing.

Both he and Nasri had a bad match IMO. It's interesting to see how different their attack looks without Aguero. So much less fluid... although Navas coming on helped.

PacoBJuarez

Woof, 4-2. David Silva has really stepped it up, playing fantastic in the 2nd half. And of course, as soon as we start criticizing Negredo, he has that ridiculous pass to set up Milner for the goal.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I'm surprised for saying this but our defense is actually quite a bit better than City's ATM. Pique is in good form, Bartra solidifying himself constantly too, and I'd say adding Alba back and soon Valdes, we'd be pretty stable defensively. The pressing and covering space this year has done wonders in making our defense more protected, the fact that their job is so much easier now makes them look much better. Though we still will struggle on set pieces, and probably with Toure starting counters as well.

Ghosting

Aguero or Negredo will be a tough decision I reckon, obviously Aguero can do something out of nothing, but I'm sure they would like Negredos threat at set pieces.

serghei

I'm surprised for saying this but our defense is actually quite a bit better than City's ATM. Pique is in good form, Bartra solidifying himself constantly too, and I'd say adding Alba back and soon Valdes, we'd be pretty stable defensively. The pressing and covering space this year has done wonders in making our defense more protected, the fact that their job is so much easier now makes them look much better. Though we still will struggle on set pieces, and probably with Toure starting counters as well.

I doubt Bartra will start vs. City. Only if Masche gets injured somehow.

Aguero or Negredo will be a tough decision I reckon, obviously Aguero can do something out of nothing, but I'm sure they would like Negredos threat at set pieces.

I have a feeling City is gonna play an open game with us. Hope they do and we show them what happens when you leave Barca space and time to move.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Come now, it seems Tata is giving Bartra more importance now. He started Masche against Cartagena, while Bartra played against Villarreal. I think that shows that Tata's ideal starting cb pairing is Pique-Bartra.

Home of Barca Fans