Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickykid

What's with the Bartra bashing today? Pique, in current form, no longer deserves to be an undisputed starter in defense. How we'll he did early on last season doesn't matter if he doesn't get back to that form.
I don't see any Bartra bashing here? Just because some doesn't agree that he was by far our best cb last season, doesn't mean you're bashing him.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I don't see any Bartra bashing here? Just because some doesn't agree that he was by far our best cb last season, doesn't mean you're bashing him.

Oh so that's what this is about? Should have started reading the thread farther back. Pique was our best center back last season but Bartra showed that he was a solid option at the back which wasn't the impression we had at the beginning of the season.

L

linetty

He started plenty though and far from coming in and replacing Pique well the defence was poorer when Pique got injured.

Could have conceded 6/7 over the two legs to Atletico over the two games CL games and a 2/3 in La Liga decider. That never even looked remotely possible earlier on in season against Atletico.

Even towards end of season - conceding two away to Villareal, two at home to Getafe. The Barca defence did not look solid at all when Batra replaced Pique.

Not that it was all Batras fault but it is not true to say he came in and improved the defence.
He has not improved the defence but hasn't also downgraded it. Poor tactics and lack of intensity generally from midfield players under Tata had also significantly affected our overall defensive play.

JamDav1982

Oh so that's what this is about? Should have started reading the thread farther back. Pique was our best center back last season but Bartra showed that he was a solid option at the back which wasn't the impression we had at the beginning of the season.

Bartra for me has the attributes to become a brilliant CB but to consider he was Barcas best CB last season is so far wide of the mark.

The Masch/Pique partnership was solid Atletico x3 (Masch maybe MOTM in all 3), Home vs Real (Pique probably MOTM), home and away to Man City in CL.

Tell me one big game that Barca were as solid with Bartra at the back? The cup final? Madrid cut through Barca a lot even with missing Ronaldo.

Trickykid

Yeah, that was basically it. I really like Bartra too, and I could see him as a starter during the coming season too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Zincubus

Banned
Mathieu mediocre at best? C'mon now, are you sure you know what you're talking about? He's not the best defender ever, but he's a really solid defender. Did really well for valencia all season long.

He's supposedly out for a while with a hamstring injury !!

Trafalgar

"Vermaelen and Vertonghen are the remaining centre back alternatives now that Barcelona have given up on Marquinhos. No other options."

So it's Vermaelen finally huh ...

tumblr_m7wj3f5RJU1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Bartra for me has the attributes to become a brilliant CB but to consider he was Barcas best CB last season is so far wide of the mark.

The Masch/Pique partnership was solid Atletico x3 (Masch maybe MOTM in all 3), Home vs Real (Pique probably MOTM), home and away to Man City in CL.

Tell me one big game that Barca were as solid with Bartra at the back? The cup final? Madrid cut through Barca a lot even with missing Ronaldo.

I didn't say Bartra was the best centerback we had last season.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Masch is a great cb for us, only height is an issue for him. Pique is great but inconsistent. Bartra is like Pique but Pique on form benches him easily. Mathieu is also not mediocre but a solid player, I want him to be like Masch but with height.

We have good depth at cb but the starting pair is either good or bad depending on various factors.

SeloBarca

People seem to overrate defenders becouse they played in LaLiga, which doesnt have the best defensive play to start with.

Pique is good if he jsut gets his act together, which he havent done the last 2 years.
Bartra is not a world class starter CB yet, and i dont see him becoming one either. LaMasia doesnt equal future star.
Mathieu is below mediocre if you look at top clubs in the world and 30 year old.
Vermaelen is not even close.
Mascherano has 0 awareness and only looks at the ball. Really bad at man marking.

Our central defence is very weak still if you compare to other top clubs.

L

linetty

People seem to overrate defenders becouse they played in LaLiga, which doesnt have the best defensive play to start with.

Pique is good if he jsut gets his act together, which he havent done the last 2 years.
Bartra is not a world class starter CB yet, and i dont see him becoming one either. LaMasia doesnt equal future star.
Mathieu is below mediocre if you look at top clubs in the world and 30 year old.
Vermaelen is not even close.

Our central defence is very weak still if you compare to other top clubs.
You seem to underrate defenders and I honestly don't know why. Mathieu below mediocre? Nonsense. Bartra is not very far from world class and still only 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans