Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

NemesisRising

I'd be fine with a Vermaelen and I'm OK with the Mathieu transfer.

Fact is we have to win and we have to win now. We have to maximize the prime of our best players (Messi and Iniesta) and I'm sure the board took that into consideration when they transferred Suarez, who's of similar age.

Next few years are critical with Messi, Suarez and Iniesta all in their primes and if we can't get a top top class CB, then older, experienced centre backs are fine in my book

sabby

BS :shit:
People throw around the term "World Class" far too much on this forum. What does that even mean? Thiago Silva?
The best defenders are ones that compliment their team's system and stay organized under pressure. I've said it before that at their peak even Baresi, Maldini, Puyol or "the great" Thiago Silva could be made to look foolish if left 1v1 against the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Ribery, Suarez. Defending is done as a team and if the attack has made it to your team's CBs then that team has made a mistake.

Bartra was our most consistent CB last year and did a great job in Pique's absence the last stretch of games. Tactically and personel wise is where we were crap.

You hit the nail on this one buddy. Atleti showed everyone last season that you don't need big names to have a good defense. Defending is done by the whole team in different areas with different tactics. All that is needed is physical and mental strength, communication among players and the heart to give out 110%. That being said, of course there are great defender who can do a lot more but that is a luxury/luck to have one not a necessity.

sabby

Wenger will make a fool out of Zubi again, huh. The scouting for the b team is so good, but for the 1st is this. It's underwhelming Vermaelen is the option to Marquinhos. Agger would be much better, but...

They promote the B team players every year to the first team. I think its time to promote some of the B team scouts to the 1st team scout team. :)

Off topic: That just makes me appreciate Adriano a bit more. He's brittle as hell, and we all know how injury prone he is, but he always seem to be a consistent performer for us. He's one of my favourite players in the squad, maybe not the best defender we have, but I love how he doesn't seem to dip in quality, and steps into the team whenever we need him to cover our ass.

Adriano is the prefect squad player. He can be a winger, mid-fielder, full back, wing back and a CB !! I still maintain his best position is left mid-field / wing but its a shame that he won't ever get to play in that position - certainly not in Barca.

Trickykid

You hit the nail on this one buddy. Atleti showed everyone last season that you don't need big names to have a good defense. Defending is done by the whole team in different areas with different tactics. All that is needed is physical and mental strength, communication among players and the heart to give out 110%. That being said, of course there are great defender who can do a lot more but that is a luxury/luck to have one not a necessity.

Agreed. Sadly we have a large portion of this forum that still believe we can only succeed if we sign one of the few, elusive world class cbs out there, who coincidentally seem to have been narrowed down to just Benatia and Hummels now. :lol:

E

El_e8

If Song and Afellay decide to stay, they will train but not play games this season. Afellay most willing to join another club. [md]

:jds:

Egert

Estonian Culé
If Song and Afellay decide to stay, they will train but not play games this season. Afellay most willing to join another club. [md]

:jds:

I hope Song leaves. He deserves playing time not only train week and week out.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I always said our problems are tactical. All I said was that Bartra is not a top defender yet (still needs to round out his game and get experience, and find consistency). I also said Pique in form would always start ahead of him. What's wrong with that?

I haven't demanded a wc defender...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
FFS, Arsenal want Agger apparently (http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140806/futbol/el-arsenal-quiere-a-agger_54412811939.html). So Arsene is willing to offload an injury-prone backup, for another injury-prone backup. Guess that shows us how "highly" he rates Vermaelen...

I don't think it's true, but if it is, then Arsene is offloading an injury prone player with another injury prone player who is a lot better and would be more than a backup when injury free for basically the same amount.

Good business if true.

Trickykid

That makes no sense at all. I could see Agger leaving for Barcelona knowing he wouldn't be an undisputed starter, because, well, it's Barca. Arsenal on the other hand? He'd be in the exact same situation that he is now, which is making him want to leave, and I doubt Arsenal has the same pull as we do...

Maria

So having a good defender is a luxury, but we have no problem in paying 170M euros in 2 years for Suarez and Neymar. And then people wonder why the galacticos weren't more succesfull.

Agreed. Sadly we have a large portion of this forum that still believe we can only succeed if we sign one of the few, elusive world class cbs out there, who coincidentally seem to have been narrowed down to just Benatia and Hummels now. :lol:

At the same time it feels a little underwhelming to not sign a CB for 5 years and then bring in a 30 y.o. Mathieu and yet another player from Arsenal(cause the last ones we signed worked out so well for us), only this time it's not even a starter.

Trickykid

At the same time it feels a little underwhelming to not sign a CB for 5 years and then bring in a 30 y.o. Mathieu and yet another player from Arsenal(cause the last ones we signed worked out so well for us), only this time it's not even a starter.
No doubt. However, the notion that we have only succeeded if we manage to buy one of those 3-4 so-called world class CBs, is as silly as, what seems to be our reality, is underwhelming.

zanela

I hope Song leaves. He deserves playing time not only train week and week out.

If Lucho has relayed his message and Song still stays then he doesn't deserve shit. He's nothing but a fin burden to the club. Can't respect players who don't respect their own careers, and is in it only for the money. :thumbdown:

I don't think it's true, but if it is, then Arsene is offloading an injury prone player with another injury prone player who is a lot better and would be more than a backup when injury free for basically the same amount.

Good business if true.

Not only that, I wouldn't be surprised if wenger gets him for less than what worm will cost us.

That makes no sense at all. I could see Agger leaving for Barcelona knowing he wouldn't be an undisputed starter, because, well, it's Barca. Arsenal on the other hand? He'd be in the exact same situation that he is now, which is making him want to leave, and I doubt Arsenal has the same pull as we do...

It would if Barca don't bid for him at all, and he gets a wage upgrade and some playing assurances by wenger.

Some MU fans' reaction on worm:

im begging that barca get him, let them waste thier money!!!!
Quite happy to see him go to Barca. Then we can turn out attention to Hummels.

2eoun12.gif

Trickykid

It would if Barca don't bid for him at all, and he gets a wage upgrade and some playing assurances by Wenger.
I won't presume to know what Wenger has in mind, but as far as I can tell from the resident Gooners, they are extremely content with their current CB pairing. So, no, breaking that up for someone as injury prone as Agger, doesn't make sense in my world.

Maria

If Lucho has relayed his message and Song still stays then he doesn't deserve shit. He's nothing but a fin burden to the club. Can't respect players who don't respect their own careers, and is in it only for the money. :thumbdown:

Cules..hate Thiago because he doesn't want to be a bench player and leaves and hate JDS and Song because they are/were happy with staying on the bench. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans