Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

How many 'Galactico' signings has there been since 2010?

Before that Villa and previously Ibrahimovic were signed by previous board who were desperate to sign Pogba if they came back.

Barca have ALWAYS spent big money on individual players but it slowed down a bit when the once in a lifetime generation of La Masia players peaked.

2004 was the start imo. We bought Ronaldinho and became the best team in the world and the team people looked up to as the best and most beautiful to watch. After that we had the luck of having Messi who just took over from where Ronaldinho left off, only with even more consistency. And now we have Neymar who grows with Messi and seems more than ready to lead Barca when Messi is not there. We started the cycle and we have to make sure it doesn't stop. When it will stop, a darker period will come, sort of like Real Madrid post Del Bosque, or Barca at the end of the 90's start of the 00's.

The danger is the oil clubs. They will spend more and more and more, until the Neymars and the Bales will start choosing them. When you have the power to invest billions, sooner or later you will dominate the market. Let's just hope that the sheiks will get bored and will decide to spend their money elsewere.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

How many 'Galactico' signings has there been since 2010?

Before that Villa and previously Ibrahimovic were signed by previous board who were desperate to sign Pogba if they came back.

Barca have ALWAYS spent big money on individual players but it slowed down a bit when the once in a lifetime generation of La Masia players peaked.

CF Rivaldo 30-ish M in 1997'
Cf Kluivert 25 M in 1997'
CF Sonny Anderson 20M in 1997'
Winger Overmars 40 Millions Euros in 1999, that is like 80-100 M in the current market
Cf Saviola 40-ish M in 2001'
Cm Gerard Lopez (Bteam coach) 30-ish M in 2001'
Winger Geovanni Deiberson 24 M in 2001'
CB Christanval 20 M in 2002'
Winger Ronaldinho 35-ish M in 2003'
Cf Etoo 32 M in 2004'
Cm Deco 30-ish M in 2004'

(Look at the 1997', that is like 200-300 Millions spent today)

Just multiply every transfer between 2000-2005 with 2x to 2,5x, and every transfer with 2,5-3,0x from 1995-1999, to make it comparable with the current market.
We have always spent like crazy.
In 90s we were the biggest spenders in the world with the richest Seria A in those days.
In early 2000s, we were 2nd behind "real" Galacticos.

As Jam said, the only short era in our history when we haven't relied on Neymars and Pogbas were in the golden-once in a lifetime-La Masia era from a few years ago.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I'm referring to where I think the current board are heading and not the past

But that does not really fit what the 'Galactico' policy is.

Paying big money for the likes of Pogba is similar to what a lot, if not all , the other top clubs are doing.

The 'Galactico' policy saw Madrid breaking world record fees for players in their late 20s which resulted in a decrease in quality of other areas - Raul Bravo and Pavon! That wont happen.

All that will happen is that Barca are one of 4/5 clubs that can pay the huge transfer fees.

khaled_a_d

But that does not really fit what the 'Galactico' policy is.

Paying big money for the likes of Pogba is similar to what a lot, if not all , the other top clubs are doing.

The 'Galactico' policy saw Madrid breaking world record fees for players in their late 20s which resulted in a decrease in quality of other areas - Raul Bravo and Pavon! That wont happen.

All that will happen is that Barca are one of 4/5 clubs that can pay the huge transfer fees.

This ,Galacticos itself isn't bad thing
RM has just done it in a bad way back in Perez first tenure ,signing much older and attack minded player .Guti was AM/2nd striker b4 2003 and he suddenly found himself playing DM for them with 2 CF,3AM and 2 attacking fullbacks in old Carlos and Salgado .with CB pairing of Helguera who was DM and Pavon
Barca aren't anything close to that

Barcafan 2304

Either I'm not getting the point across well or people are misunderstanding but I'm tired and can't really explain it better than that. I'm not debating we haven't paid out in the past etc. What I'm saying is that this board will take us further down the route of spending big on 'galactico' type signings and we will become further akin to Madrid and oil clubs. I feel we will go for pogba cos he fits the bill when a gundogan or verratti would be cheaper and better for to our squad. Any way, turning in now, can't put it better than that right now so feel free to take from that what you will

khaled_a_d

Either I'm not getting the point across well or people are misunderstanding but I'm tired and can't really explain it better than that. I'm not debating we haven't paid out in the past etc. What I'm saying is that this board will take us further down the route of spending big on 'galactico' type signings and we will become further akin to Madrid and oil clubs. I feel we will go for pogba cos he fits the bill when a gundogan or verratti would be cheaper and better for to our squad. Any way, turning in now, can't put it better than that right now so feel free to take from that what you will

The thing is ,there is nothing to support this claim yet
All of our big signing was smart one since 2003 and was gr8 except for Ibra and he was one of the best that the coach pushed for him without counting the downside of it
May be if we sign Pogba for 100M and then we suddenly realize he isn't Lucho type of player we can make that claim .
Otherwise it is a bit unfair to the board to make such a statement
1-Since elections is over ,Pogba rumors has cooled a lot .only mentioned few time that seem like recycling the rumor .we have been also linked with many cheaper young options
2-even if we sign him,It isn't proven yet if Pogba would be just a stupid signing ,he is quality player with massive potential tbh .may be the club turn out to know what they are doing if they bought him

JamDav1982

Spending similar money to Madrid and other oil clubs has happened in the past and under previous boards. Thats nothing unique to this board.

The confusion comes in when the term 'Galactico' is used as Barca will not do anything like that.

Some people seem to equate 'Galactico' to an expensive signing.

All you are really saying is that Barca will be among the top 4/5 teams that can pay big transfer fees. Which of course will be the case, always has been and would be the same for any board at Barca as the only other realistic opposition payed 70 odd million for Ibra, 45 odd million for Villa and wanted to sign Pogba.

xXKonan

Fluminense expected to return in January 3.2M Barcelona paid for option on Gerson (18). Barcelona didn't match Roma's 15+2M bid. [sport]

I guess this will go into our January Budget.

Jombi

Going to DM is easier.
As a CM in Barcelona you need playmaking, passing and split vision skills.

Iniesta, Rafinha and Rakitic are all more or less attacking midfielders, and playing with 2 of them doesnt work in our system, which has been extremly noticable this year and somewhat last. .

I love it when people praise a player for 50 matches as CM and then the player has a few matches of poor form and he suddenly "doesnt work in our system".

xXKonan

According to MD Robert Fernandez will be in Istanbul on Thursday (Tomorrow) to watch the Fenerbahce-Ajax Europa League Match.

To watch RVP and Several Ajax Players.

xXKonan

Apparently we are following 5 of their young players :rolleyes:
I should've posted it.
Davy Klaasen and Riechedly Bazoer, Dutch winger Anwar El Ghazi, teenage full-back Jairo Riedewald and Polish srtiker Arkaduisz Milik

We were linked to Jairo Riedewald in the summer if I remember correctly, 6'1 Left back so I can see why we are following him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans