Best Manager of All Time?

Best Manager?

• Bill Shankly (Liverpool)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ernst Happel (Hamburg, Feyenoord, Holland)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sir Matt Busby (Manchester Utd)

• Miguel Munoz (Real Madrid)

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Johan Cruyff (Ajax, Barcelona)

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Arrigo Sacchi (AC Milan

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Sir Alex Ferguson (Aberdeen, Manchester Utd

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Marcelo Lippi (Juventus, Italy)

• Brian Clough (Derby County, Nottingham Forrest)

• JocK Stein (Celtic, Scotland

• Helenio Herrera (Atletico,Barca, Inter)

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Agreed, ignore him.

Yeah its a hard one, Lippi won the WC under exceptional circumstances and brought great success at club level. While Trapattoni bombed at International level, but had greater success at club. I guess it comes back to my point about influence on how the game is played rather than just taken on merits of trophies won. And in that respect I would say Trapattoni, he gave the catenaccio school of thought its purpose in the modern era, and was the influence on Lippi even. I guess what makes me shy from saying they were the very best is that they slightly innovated on an already well established idea of football to gain success. And any greatness they did have in making that innovation is ultimately undone by a strict adherence to it and becoming tactical dinosaurs, too stubborn to move the tactics and style on - see Lippi in the last WC.

Agreed if decided to take that stance with him..:lol:

Yeah it was Lippi's success on the international scene that made me chose him, but i never really took that into consideration, how they influence the game, I suppose if you're going from that view Trappatoni would be there.

Cruyff would have to be up there aswell in that regard, he revolutionised attacking football with Ajax and particuarly Barca

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
Lippi :lol:

I would have voted for Michels but since he's not there...Cruijff. And yes I'm biased.

A lot of names that should be here are missing.

jamrock

has to be between Herrera,Rinus Michels,Sebes or that brazil coach that game up with the 4-4-2 system.

these are managers that tactically revolutionized that game, and most of the tactics being used today or just a variant of these games tactics.

the likes of SAF,Sacchi ext, may have more won championships, but did nothing for the tactics of the game when compared to these guys.

Chainsaw

Killahead
the likes of SAF,Sacchi ext, may have more won championships, but did nothing for the tactics of the game when compared to these guys.

Be prepared for SAF fanboys to rage on you that he did an incredible job winning a CL after like 15 years by two corners in injury time when his team was owned for the whole match by their opponent and then suddenly became a Sir and also the best manager of all time blah blah!! :slap:

J

Jordzibob

I dont really know a huge amount about half the people on this list, I'm 18 so I havent the foggiest about some of them, but yeh, I'm gonna go with Sir Alex.

And like it or lump it, brand it "obsession", but Mourinho will be on that list one day. I dont think Pep will, much as he could, I just dont see him sticking around for that long in football.

jamrock

Sacchi did nothing for the tactics of the game?... kthnxnbye.

not when compared to the managers i mentioned, he was just using a variant of one of those guys tactics, which most managers over the years have been doing.

a great manager though

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue
This poll is a fucking joke with the best option missing.

Rinus Michels by 10 miles.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam

Jesus Christ, take the pipe out your ass and relax for fuck sake.

i was in a rush while finishing and forgot to add his name, which iv already apologised for.
Jeeez some people get wound up so damn easy

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

Unfortunately Michels, by being so irresponsibly far ahead allowed Herrera's wingbacks to cut through his defense and score the game winning goal.

Peerd

Notorious Demagogue

i was in a rush while finishing and forgot to add his name, which iv already apologised for.

Wow. I didn't meant to flame you or anything :S
I apologise if you feel attacked.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt

you're so funny when you get angry jamiEeeEEee :lol: where'v you been mate? miss your, "i had an argument with someone from our job, who do you think it's best" threads.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor

Yes, some people do get wound up very easily, don't you think?

Calm down.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans