Cesc Fàbregas

footyfan

Calma, calma
Stats stats stats...look at what actually happens, and think like a coach. Cesc is fine with the ball when not under pressure. His turnovers and interceptions spike in games when the opponent presses, and are probably steady as the rest in games when he has plenty of space and time.

And what you call "sideways passing" *is* Barça's defense (it's *not* the back line. "Sideways passing" is also a tired hugely oversimplified soundbyte about Xavi/Barça- key passes are, if anything , *more* important than assists- take Xavi's pass to Alba today to set up the assist for Alexis). There are games where Cesc's turnovers and interceptions are a liability to Barça's defense (which depends on defending the ball, not defending space). You don't ever want Barça running backwards all game because the ball has been given up too easily.

The point is to use the right players at the right time. Just pointing to stats and assuming the overall numbers can be predicted as fact against any future opponent is an oversimplification. Pedro is Barça's top goal scorer, yet no one is insisting he should start every game- because the stats don't provide the full picture.

Good post.

I can't deny though that Xavi has been uncharacteristically losing possession this season, almost on par with Cesc in fact. It's a combination of both Cesc improving and Xavi deteriorating. Xavi is routinely struggling against high pressing and physical sides nowadays. I don't remember him putting in a good performance (by that I mean the level that we are accustomed to from the Xavi of 2008-2012) against such sides in a long time.

We've faced 3 high-pressing sides this season - Rayo, Betis and Bilbao. In the first 2, Cesc outperformed Xavi by quite a distance while they were both poor vs Bilbao.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
My point is Cesc occasionally has turnovers because he is trying to attack and is trying to look for killer balls, he can easily keep the ball just as well as Xavi or Iniesta if we are leading and he looks to play it simple.

This is simply not true. In general, Cesc loses the ball because he lacks the awareness that Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets possess; not because he is "trying to attack and look for killer balls". With Cesc, it's always a matter of get the ball, control, then think what to do; while with the others, they already know what they need to do before they get the ball. That being said, when Cesc spots the space, he can release a perfect pass quicker and better than the rest. His through passes really are excellent.

Ghosting

This is simply not true. In general, Cesc loses the ball because he lacks the awareness that Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets possess; not because he is "trying to attack and look for killer balls". With Cesc, it's always a matter of get the ball, control, then think what to do; while with the others, they already know what they need to do before they get the ball. That being said, when Cesc spots the space, he can release a perfect pass quicker and better than the rest. His through passes really are excellent.

I'll admit this also can happen, but again I still think some occasional dispossession does not out weigh his more attacking instincts compared to both Xavi and Iniesta. Neymar loses the ball way more than Pedro, so should Pedro play instead. Our problem is when we lose the ball usually both our full backs are way up the pitch and there is only Pique and Mach/Bartra there to cover the counter attack possibly with some help from Busquets. If we attacked more aggressively we wouldn't need both Alves and Alba to be up the pitch at the same time and so there will be more cover.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
mMmjweZB7Pg.jpg

F

Flavia

Definitely, I think most of us are a bit concerned about Iniesta's form this season

Cesc played well last night, no question, but it was also a match where we saw our midfield control the possession less than we're accustomed to seeing...I felt that there was a glaring absence of a midfield boss for our team last night despite Xavi, Iniesta & Cesc all being out there...Was the missing link Busquets then?

I think we're missing an attacking midfielder who can press and push forward

I think so. Song can't do what Busi does. Busi-Cesc-Iniesta can become a great midfield trio.

JamDav1982

Neymar is clearly more suited to the false nine role but credit to Fabregas he has been brilliant the past two games playing there.

barcanuck

Cesc was Fab against Elche but still managed to hit a nerve.

Up 4-0 in a classico vs Elche and he again plays the referees best friend by getting himself booked for a foul which Alba commited. That's the type of card he can get in a big CL game which will make him miss the next match one day.

I posted same thing months ago how he is hated by refs because he is a whiney baby and he just needs to get over it, especially when it's 4-0 and your teamate get booked big deal, no need to argue with the ref.

1353490_450_450_2_0_fit_6_9f0fd7349e2673f0ec843334fe1c05e2.jpg

Kerrybai

Neymar is clearly more suited to the false nine role but credit to Fabregas he has been brilliant the past two games playing there.

I never want Neymar central. He's a brilliant winger who can pull apart the opposition defence. In the middle he will get crowded out and we won't get the best out of him.

Darko

Up 4-0 in a classico vs Elche and he again plays the referees best friend by getting himself booked for a foul which Alba commited. That's the type of card he can get in a big CL game which will make him miss the next match one day.

I posted same thing months ago how he is hated by refs because he is a whiney baby and he just needs to get over it, especially when it's 4-0 and your teamate get booked big deal, no need to argue with the ref.

True.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

Cesc gets several bookings a season now for dissent but Borbalan had it coming, I never noticed Xavi complaining during the match to him but that's a Captain's job...and with Victor in net after Xavi subbed out, no one is really going to challenge the referee legitimately, even one as big a douche as he is...Truthfully I'm glad Cesc stayed in his ear but you saw how quickly he got booked after Alba, it was coming...presumably because Fabregas had been at him...Cesc may not have won anything at Arsenal but he's a WC winner, he's smart enough not to do that in a big match...Not worried about it, he should stay on the refs, tbh

Stric

Lia is not very happy!

1533824_10152271235519305_1964142787_n.jpg

It's amazing how he, his sister, his mother and his daughter look extremely alike.

Also, Lia looks pretty grown-up for a child that's not even 10 months old.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Lia is not very happy!

It's amazing how he, his sister, his mother and his daughter look extremely alike.

Also, Lia looks pretty grown-up for a child that's not even 10 months old.

The genes are strong in the Fab family as she does look like a Fabregas...Good thing they put a flower in her hair otherwise she'd easily be mistaken for a boy

Looks alert & healthy but probably not walking yet...But yeah, good size for 10 months old

Home of Barca Fans