Cesc Fàbregas

Icarium

Lifestealer
Somewhere deep down i still wish we did not sell him. I hated the fact that he did not fit our style and there was no other way. We should never have bought him then he would have stayed at Arsenal and could have become greatest PL midfielder. Out of all the clubs he could have joined he chose Chelsea. This sucks!! Seeing one of your favorite players performing well for fucking chelsea. Aghhh....

I am glad that he is performing well though.. Chelsea is perfect for him on footballing terms.

barca7788

Nepali Cule
i dont buy this "Didnt fit our style thing. while he played under different managers, we were too unstable in these 3 years. Pep on his last year with unmotivated players, tito suffering from the disease and tata not having a clue about managing top team.
if we are playing messi as our playmaker with pedro and neymar more centrally then we could have always use him. now that iniesta`s form dropped drastically we are in deep shit against organised team more than ever. the only hope i have now is how suarez gonna perform how he`s gonna change our play.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Playing Messi purely as a playmaker deeper and Neymar centrally with no one to link up with since the defenders could easily mark him and the other striker out because everyone and most importantly Messi is being played even deeper (2v4) is wasting Messi and Neymar to accomondate Cesc just like every single manager messed up the team balance and Iniesta and Xavi's overall influence on the game to fit in Cesc and after three seasons what did he exactly prove?

That he need a different style of play and resources to fit in and play at his best and that's what he did when he asked for a transfer.

Our lack of depth relatively and Iniesta's bad form and lack of creativity from the midfield due to tactics promoting a more wing dominance game has made people want Cesc back whereas he IMO would have been a complete waste since he is neither agile, he is very slow, he don't have the workrate needed to play out a bit wider and also covering up for the FBs and has in his three seasons where Xavi has been injured, out of form, overplayed, and what not, still not managed to perform better than him unless people takes his stats as the complete picture of his contribution.

Not to forget we had a younger player who later left because he saw that there would be no way he would get his chance since our managers rather would play an injured Xavi and out of form Cesc Fabregas over him.

Last edited:

serghei

He faded after January for 3 seasons. That was unacceptable.

In 2012, that was not true. He was amazing against Chelsea on Camp Nou, made some fantastic passes and got us a valuable pen. that should have been the decisive goal. That was by far our most important game from 2012. You call that fading?

And in 2013, 2014, the whole team faded after january. That is why we got beaten by Milan, got dominated by PSG in both games, got beaten by Bayern, got beaten by Real both in the league and in the Copa del Rey, lost the title last year after draws with teams from the relegation zone etc. Unless you think Cesc was the reason we lost all those games (and titles), Fabregas was not a singular case regarding our form in the 2nd part of 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. Maybe we should start checking the facts before we put the blame on one player - even a less respected one.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

In 2012, that was not true. He was amazing against Chelsea on Camp Nou, made some fantastic passes and got us a valuable pen. that should have been the decisive goal. That was by far our most important game from 2012. You call that fading?

And in 2013, 2014, the whole team faded after january. That is why we got beaten by Milan, got dominated by PSG in both games, got beaten by Bayern, got beaten by Real both in the league and in the Copa del Rey, lost the title last year after draws with teams from the relegation zone etc. Unless you think Cesc was the reason we lost all those games (and titles), Fabregas was not a singular case regarding our form in the 2nd part of 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. Maybe we should start checking the facts before we put the blame on one player - even a less respected one.

Forgot his missed goals against the same chelsea? This "the whole team faded" is also not true. Cesc did disappear and played poorly after january for 3 seasons. You just need to check his influence in the team during that period. They way they diminished is astonishing. While other players, like Messi, Iniesta and even Alexis, kept carrying the team. The team was a mess during Tito illness and Tata's reign, and that might have contributed to his poor form, but it was a pattern. After january Cesc's performance dropped a lot.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Forgot his missed goals against the same chelsea? This "the whole team faded" is also not true. Cesc did disappear and played poorly after january for 3 seasons. You just need to check his influence in the team during that period. They way they diminished is astonishing. While other players, like Messi, Iniesta and even Alexis, kept carrying the team. The team was a mess during Tito illness and Tata's reign, and that might have contributed to his poor form, but it was a pattern. After january Cesc's performance dropped a lot.

Yeah but it was a Coincidence in my opinion, also Cesc played well vs Chelsea in both games. He set up alexis on a plate in the first leg a couple of times and he missed. It was actually Messi who gave the ball away for drogbas goal and he missed the penalty that cesc won for him in the second leg.

I'd still have got rid of him though because we couldn't find a position for him. But he was a good player for us mostly.

serghei

You just need to check his influence in the team during that period.

He did influenced some important games in that time frame.

1. Real Madrid 2011-12 (away, 2-1, Copa) - two amazing passes from Cesc, one for Alexis, who hit the post, and one for Iniesta, who also hit the post. Could have had 2 assists easily.
2. Leverkusen 2011-12 (away, 3-1, CL) - made the assist that got us the lead in Germany 2-1, probably the goal that decided the tie, because the germans managed to make 1-1 and hit the post minutes after.
3. Leverkusen 2011-12 (home, 7-1, CL) - assist again, for Messi, (3-0 goal) with an excellent 40m pass.
4. Milan 2011-12 (home, 3-1, CL) - played a great pass to Messi in the beginning of the game, should've been 1-0 there.
5. Chelsea 2011-12 (away, 0-1, CL) - played a couple of superb passes, one of which ended with a shot that hit the post from Alexis. if Alexis scored there, there would have been a different tie.
6. Chelsea 2011-12 (home, 2-2, CL) - played some amazing passes again, got us a very important penalty, missed by Messi.
7. Malaga 2012-13 (away, 4-2, Copa) - great first touch and assist for Iniesta for 3-2. It was the 75th min. and the tie was dead even, 4-4 aggregate. Very important goal.
8. PSG 2012-13 (away, 2-2, CL) - made the backheel pass that split PSG's defence and set Alexis one vs one with Sirigu. It resulted in the penalty and the goal that made us favourites for the reurn leg.
9. Real Madrid 2012-13 (away, 1-1, Copa) - scored on Bernabeu, when the score was 0-0. Varane equilised late in the game.
10. Manchester City 2013-14 (home, 2-0) - made the asssist to Messi's goal for 1-0. Not the prettiest of assits, but an assist nonetheless.
11. Real Madrid 2013-14 (away, 4-3) - superb pass for Messi, who missed the 2-0 goal.

These are just the most important games where Cesc had significant contributions with excellent passes, assists or goals. All in the 2nd part of the three seasons he played for us. But, yea, Cesc dissappeared after january.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

11 games in 3 seasons. 6 from his first season, his best one, under Pep. And some of those games were in january, like the clasico were he scored, but didn't play that well. After that, not much to account for Cesc. If that's enough for you, from a player deemed world class, ok then. And stats were his forte, but they dropped dramaticaly in the second half of all his 3 seasons, compared to the first half. and still, that's not the whole story, as it's only stats. His overall game was just plain bad during jan-may.

and during those chelsea matches, you forgot to mention his terrible missed goals too.

serghei

11 games in 3 seasons. 6 from his first season, his best one, under Pep.

No, not 11 games in 3 seasons. 11 important games, in 3 seasons. That is not dissappearing to me. And many players from Barca had their better seasons with Pep. Not unusual.

and during those chelsea matches, you forgot to mention his terrible missed goals too.

Messi was the champion of misses that tie. And Alexis. Cesc missed a few chances, but he is a midfielder, and as a midfielder he created chances.

His overall game was just plain bad during jan-may.

No it was not, not worse than Iniesta's or Xavi's anyway. We had problems with the team in the 2nd part of both seasons after Pep left, collective problems. Cesc takes the blame for this alone.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

No, not 11 games in 3 seasons. 11 important games, in 3 seasons. That is not dissappearing to me. And many players from Barca had their better seasons with Pep. Not unusual.
Leverkusen weren't exactly difficult games. Neither of them. For the milan game he didn't do anything, one pass now equals a good match? Then it goes down to 8 matches. Cesc is very good at assisting, but still, he played poorly in the majority of games in jan-may, during his time in the club. If you make a list of the games when he was bad or just disappeared, it will be bigger. Or if anyone would compile a list of bad passes and bad decisions he made as well. He never fit in. Slowed down the play often, and couldn't defend. That was a huge problem, for a Barça midfielder. And that's why Rakitic now seems to fit in much easier.
I defended Cesc for a while, kept believing somehow he'd start fitting in and that he would stop having his second half of the season drop, but he didn't. I'm glad he chose to leave, it was the best decision for him and for Barça.

serghei

Leverkusen away could've been a tricky one had Leverkusen made 2-1 when they got the chance. That Alexis goal for 2-1 was the key moment of the game and tie. The home game, yes, it was easy. As for Cesc, I think it was a big mistake to sell him, and this argument with his form in the 2nd part of season is flimsy at best, considering our team was deteriorating in both season in question as time went by. And I'm not so sure about Rakitic, his passing game is worse than Fabregas'.

F

Flavia

Leverkusen away could've been a tricky one had Leverkusen made 2-1 when they got the chance. That Alexis goal for 2-1 was the key moment of the game and tie. The home game, yes, it was easy. As for Cesc, I think it was a big mistake to sell him, and this argument with his form in the 2nd part of season is flimsy at best, considering our team was deteriorating in both season in question as time went by. And I'm not so sure about Rakitic, his passing game is worse than Fabregas'.
The mistake was bringing Cesc back, not selling him. The argument of his form is not flimsy, is real. And it got worse with each passing season too. Cesc was the problem in the games against atletico in the cl, and in the cdr final. Every time tata subbed him, the team improved tenfold. But he subbed him too late in all three games. Tata should actually never even started Cesc. If the team was deteriorating, how did that happen? I find somewhat strange you don't remember this. I still remember well everyone getting mad at Tata, before the games, because Cesc was starting again. Everyone knew what would happen, and it always did.

Home of Barca Fans