Champions League

malvolio

It's not a 'premium' competition. Only if you think of it as something you're supposed to want to watch all the time it would be.
At its core it was a cup for title holders across Europe.
Which has then morphed into a competition for the clubs with most pull and money to sustain football growth enabling them to provide the games folks will want to sit in front of the TV for.
And honestly in my mind should lean towards the roots rather than 'making every game a premium you must switch on'.

it became a premium competition and it is sold like a premium competition. i for one would be ok to a return of the original champions cup format - all champions to battle it out in a pyramid. but we already know that there is no going back to that since money took over.

FinBarcelonafan

Super League will finish any risk of the clubs not being in the competition. So no risk of missing out on the competition for a year. Not sporting merit.

You are probably just upset because Barcelona aren't in the knockouts this year?

The Super League concept is a joke.

You are wrong. They already changed the league format in Super league.

I personally have no problem Barca being in this year's CL. We were shite. Super shite. Even I hated watching Barca play Benfica, Bayern.. it was BAD.

I want to see good team face each other and play good football with some drama.

Morten

I'd love to watch Ajax, but Atletico - United at the same time, unfortunately.

Why couldn't Chelsea vs some french team have been today, and Ajax yesterday?

El Gato

Villarato!
it became a premium competition and it is sold like a premium competition. i for one would be ok to a return of the original champions cup format - all champions to battle it out in a pyramid. but we already know that there is no going back to that since money took over.

Yup and just because it did in a commercial sense doesn't mean you have to concede the ideal in favour of what will bring in most consumers. Think we would agree on that anyway. You wouldn't want it governed such that garnering the most fan interest is a first priority, because that'd mean a fuckton of clickbait, restructuring of TV deals in a way that will make it a caricature of what it has been. The model the way it is with UEFA coefficients and some kind of system in place that dictates which teams get into which pot is a sensible one, though not without its flaws. But at least it doesn't mean you literally get just the games between big sides. Because that just works to flatten out the landscape in a way that no game is a breather for a given side. Even in America NBA or NFL you have to play the Browns or the Kings. Just allow it.

Either way, the biggest point of contention isn't the format of the Super League and the scrapping of domestic football models + relegation of La Liga and Premiership to the status of Championship qualification. That's somewhat debatable and there is an argument it's all just sort of "national pride", in a sense that folk would rather have a champion of England rather than a team that qualifies to ESL from England.

The biggest problem, for me, is simply that in the proposal that the league is governed by its founders. Which is simply total nonsense as that way they gain total control over each respective federation and the entire structure of the international calendar.
And that simply cannot be the case as leads to pathology and looking out for own over collective interest all the time.
No matter how much ESL proponents want to ignore it or argue UEFA are corrupt, it's simply not an alternative.

Last edited:

serghei

That's why Atletico and Simeone are so frustrating. As soon as they got a goal they park the bus. This United team caves under pressure you morons, go at them with the intensity that you can show and they fuck up!

Sit back, and they can become dangerous.

Home of Barca Fans