Champions League

FC B

Yeah, imo they lost the tie in the first leg, can't expect to go through against Madrid with such a display, such errors, and such play as they had on Stamford Bridge. Was convinced they won't KO Madrid and it proved correct, started to watch the game at around 60th minute when Chelsea were surprisingly 0-2 ahead but I still thought Madrid will not lose the tie even after they were 0-3 down.

Andresito

Staff member
Pep has two of the biggest landmines before the final which are the two Madrid teams.

Now City are expected to go through as clear favourites, but Atleti at Wanda are tricky and Real Madrid can be dogshite with a bit of luck to knock them out (like vs Chelsea) or just chanceless (like last few years).

Fati_Future_BallonDor

carvajah was by far real's best defence man, Mendy was horrible, alaba/Nacho bad, Modric terrific again, Camavinga was imo the gamechanger

all in all pep needs to beat this real in semi final

Temptation

xG is worthless for a game like yesterday. It can't measure Reals reaction/mentality to going 0-3 down.

Well, xG isn't supposed to show that.

It's just a rough statistical indication of "How many goals our/their team should have scored based on the situations created?"

It's nothing concrete or more than that. Doubt anybody treats it as the most important thing.

It's used as an indication to roughly asses your team's performance on the day.

And it's a pretty good metric for it's purpose.

OGbarca

Banned
Well, xG isn't supposed to show that.

It's just a rough statistical indication of "How many goals our/their team should have scored based on the situations created?"

It's nothing concrete or more than that. Doubt anybody treats it as the most important thing.

It's used as an indication to roughly asses your team's performance on the day.

And it's a pretty good metric for it's purpose.

disagree here, hard. xg is arm chair statistics often used to deny obvious truths

give a fuck if a team has 100000000000000000000000 chances or whatever

that doesnt decide anything. football is not some statistical simulator you plug figures in

Morten

disagree here, hard. xg is arm chair statistics often used to deny obvious truths

give a fuck if a team has 100000000000000000000000 chances or whatever

that doesnt decide anything. football is not some statistical simulator you plug figures in

Obviously doesn't decide anything, but it implies it was a painful and very hard-fought victory for us, which it was.
If Benzema wasn't superman in the first leg we would be out.

El Gato

Villarato!
https://mobile.twitter.com/xGPhilosophy/status/1513993905934581771

Birdy got a bit unlucky with the Chelsea-games tbf, we were effective.

Wasn't lack of luck on Birdy part. Man simply makes categorical statements and can't own up to getting it wrong like many before him

Also worth mentioning aggregate xG is different depending on where you take it from, see here (Chelsea 3.0 - Real 2.6)
https://fbref.com/en/matches/e78b60c2/Chelsea-Real-Madrid-April-6-2022-Champions-League
https://fbref.com/en/matches/9d7bfc65/Real-Madrid-Chelsea-April-12-2022-Champions-League

Doesn't even matter either way. Could be like 10-1 on chances and I'd still fancy us to get through based on Benzema on-form influence alone
What Birdy doesn't realize is that with an experienced team that prepares to absorb and concede shots (which will inflate the opponent stat) without getting too rattled, the chance volume does not dictate a close contest. Mourinho teams would have lost on xG time and again back in the day and you'd absolutely never dare to count them out in a cup tie or chat shite that their approach is incorrect (well, unless you're dogmatic about it and will never concede that reactive football or pragmatism can be useful). This RM is not nearly as effective at parking buses and often needs a spark (overturned Marcos Alonso goal, Werner goal) + athletic midfield in order to start playing to true potential. And yet this guy will come out and categorically state affair 'won't be close' implying we're doomed to fail only to get mugged off in the end because he doesn't account for other variables, like keepers fucking it up in front of Benzema or subs making a massive difference regardless when they're introduced, lol

Last edited:

Morten

Wasn't lack of luck on Birdy part. Man simply makes categorical statements and can't own up to getting it wrong like many before him

Also worth mentioning aggregate xG is different depending on where you take it from, see here (Chelsea 3.0 - Real 2.6)
https://fbref.com/en/matches/e78b60c2/Chelsea-Real-Madrid-April-6-2022-Champions-League
https://fbref.com/en/matches/9d7bfc65/Real-Madrid-Chelsea-April-12-2022-Champions-League

Doesn't even matter either way. Could be like 10-1 on chances and I'd still fancy us to get through based on Benzema on-form influence alone
What Birdy doesn't realize is that with an experienced team that prepares to absorb and concede shots (which will inflate the opponent stat) without getting too rattled, the chance volume does not dictate a close contest. Mourinho teams would have lost on xG time and again back in the day and you'd absolutely never dare to count them out in a cup tie or chat shite that their approach is incorrect (well, unless you're dogmatic about it and will never concede that reactive football or pragmatism can be useful). This RM is not nearly as effective at parking buses and often needs a spark (overturned Marcos Alonso goal, Werner goal) + athletic midfield in order to start playing to true potential. And yet this guy will come out and categorically state affair 'won't be close' implying we're doomed to fail only to get mugged off in the end because he doesn't account for other variables, like keepers fucking it up in front of Benzema or subs making a massive difference regardless when they're introduced, lol

I'm not going to go into all the different tables, but surely you know Chelsea had way more attempts on target over the two legs, i think the one i, and most others found is more accurate.

Of couse xG doesn't take into account that once 3-0 arrived we would have to play differently, and other variables, its just a calculator on whats most likely to happen with the shots that are given.

Then again, you are allowed to have an elite striker, and the other team may not have that, which has been one of my criticisms of xG over the years, who shoots matters a fair bit, when you average it out.

Was it close? I think so, but i do think Chelsea were better as a unit overall, but they couldn't see it trough, it is what it is.

Birdy do make very absolute statements i agree, such as PSG would get absolutely dominated by us(we pulled through, but it wasn't a domination at all), or that Chelsea would hammer us(he wasn't entirely wrong though), another one i saw was that City was the absolute favorite for CL by a long shot.

They might win, or they may not, but as you've said, he doesn't take into account variables.

Rassvet

I hope Atletico go after City at the beginning like they did in that second leg vs Madrid in 2017 or at the start against United first leg in the last round. I think they have a shot at rattling City and nicking a goal that way. Then maybe they can retreat a bit after that but I want to see a high octane first 15-20 minutes.

Morten

I hope Atletico go after City at the beginning like they did in that second leg vs Madrid in 2017 or at the start against United first leg in the last round. I think they have a shot at rattling City and nicking a goal that way. Then maybe they can retreat a bit after that but I want to see a high octane first 15-20 minutes.

Needless to say, we are all Atletico-supporters today, in the name of la liga, of course.

Home of Barca Fans