CL | Round 5: FC Barcelona - SL Benfica 0-0

Porque

Depends on how Bayern approach it.

If they are up for it and play strong team it will most likely get messy.

Agreed. We are far from the bracket of teams that Bayern belong to, but we are showing signs of improvement.

Today was the big chance, we needed to wrap up a win by any means necessary as I believe by the time February comes and knockout time, we will be a much improved team if injuries are forgiving.

But Bayern away with the current squad availability is probably too soon into Xavi's reign. But stranger things have happened, didn't Sheriff win in Madrid a month back.

FinBarcelonafan

Agreed. We are far from the bracket of teams that Bayern belong to, but we are showing signs of improvement.

Today was the big chance, we needed to wrap up a win by any means necessary as I believe by the time February comes and knockout time, we will be a much improved team if injuries are forgiving.

But Bayern away with the current squad availability is probably too soon into Xavi's reign. But stranger things have happened, didn't Sheriff win in Madrid a month back.

Based on Koeman we should just go there and lose by four goals. :koeman:

delancey

You think WAY too much of this two, Bayern is not a random LL team !!!

Hahaha that made me laugh mate. Tbf Ansu is a special talent, extremely clinical in front of goal, which is exactly what we need. All the tiki taka in the world won?t make a difference without players who repeatedly finish their chances. Maybe it will go our way! That?d be something!

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Europa league is our level and personally would prefer it so our young players can develop, I don't really see much 'shame' in it either considering how young the squad is. even if we scrape through (we don't deserve to) we'll get pasted by the big boys - Chelsea, Bayern again, Liverpool, City and PSG. The old players are shite and the youngsters aren't ready.

Not sure how not qualifying from group stage would hit is financially, anyone?

Good post.

I remember reading something around 25m was taken for granted for us making past the CL group stage, not sure if it is true. I kept hearing that if we don't, we make hefty losses on the money but what I don't get is, let's say we make it to the group of 16 and then get eliminated right away, we will only be rewarded for 2 games, which shouldn't be much if we lose anyways (6m tops)?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
1. If we win against Bayern, we advance regardless of Benfica?s result against Kyiv.
2. If we draw against Bayern and Benfica draws against Kyiv, we advance.
3. If we lose against Bayern and Benfica draws or loses against Kyiv, we advance.

Point is, all hope isn?t lost. With Dembele and Ansu returning, a victory in Munich is possible. And even if we don?t win, the above mentioned scenarios see us advance. Benfica isn?t some great team either. They must perform too!

Us beating Bayern at the Allianz, in our dreams.

Also banking on Kiev not losing to Benfica in Lisbon is an extremely tall order.

At this point, thinking rationally, hope is pretty much lost.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
We should try Dembele at CF

No lol, would never work

Unless you're joking

Maybe CF not great idea, but what about ST? A striker with dangerous pace basically has 50% advantage to any other striker who doesn't have pace. Finishing and movement is only other two requirements to be good. I would give him a go at striker in near future if we are struggling to create clear chances, which is almost every match this season. Thankfully Xavi has made the squad play great football in very little time but still can't create many real chances and will likely have that problem the rest of the season unfortunately.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The only way for us to hope for some sort of result against Bayern is to discard all of our pride etc. and play like a lower or mid-table Bundesliga team does when they play against Bayern: Park the bus, being super defensive and compact in the back and only hoping to hit Bayern with counters.

The thing is no Barca manager will ditch our pride and self-respect and play like that. They will probably get sacked if they did.

delancey

Us beating Bayern at the Allianz, in our dreams.

Also banking on Kiev not losing to Benfica in Lisbon is an extremely tall order.

At this point, thinking rationally, hope is pretty much lost.
I don?t disagree, but hope is all we?ve got at this point. Crazier outcomes have happened!

jairzinho

If we can't beat Benfica at home there's like 0.1% chance we beat Bayern at Allianz. Just hope they take it easy and rest some players and we have Ansu and Dembele fit for the game. Otherwise it could get nasty.

Nazario1985

If we play like a low skilled team, which we are it could happen.

If we go and try to play like an AAA team and punch for punch, no chance.

Unless Bayern played like they don't give a shit, which is a big a possibility.

mc_lovin

If we play like a low skilled team, which we are it could happen.

If we go and try to play like an AAA team and punch for punch, no chance.

Unless Bayern played like they don't give a shit, which is a big a possibility.

Bayern can be punished in transitions, which means we need Dembele and Fati back. If Dembele is fit to start (and Ansu for like 30 minutes) I would not be completely hopeless. I am banking on Upamecano being a clown as well.

But generally I don't believe Bayern is this unbeatable juggernaut. They have their fair share of weaknesses.

Home of Barca Fans