Confederations Cup 2013 - Final: Brazil 3-0 Spain

Yannick03

This Spain side is soooooo good. Solid at the back, incredible passing game, fantastic pressing and fabulous movement. I hope Tito is watching this cause they are pressing really good, something we should too. It's just a joy to watch them.

SeloBarca

I woder if the playstyle is something Barcelona will play with. The position Cesc plays in today dont exist in Barcelona. Basicly its 3AM, 1 Striker, Pedro playing both LW and RW alternating. It does give iniesta and Xavi more room, but the play is even more centered in the mid.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This Spain side is soooooo good. Solid at the back, incredible passing game, fantastic pressing and fabulous movement. I hope Tito is watching this cause they are pressing really good, something we should too. It's just a joy to watch them.

Exactly. That should have been how we play, EVERY game. :wub:

Ursegor

World Champion
Do you guys think Spain today is better than Barca?

They have 2 true centerbacks.
They have 1 defensive-minded leftback.
They are playing Fabregas behind a true centerforward which is his best position.
They are much better managed. Pedro isn't glued to the touch line where he can't beat his man. He's allowed total freedom to drift all over the place upfront.
Unbelieveable pressing.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

In short: yes. They are a better team.

Mr Hulot

I can't figure out what kind of a formation Spain are using, though... The front three are giving me headaches, all three of them are all over the place.

Jordi Alba is playing as a LB AND a LW, Soldado is a classic number 9, Pedro is starting from the right and Cesc has a free role starting as number 10. But you are right, they are very fluid at times!

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
That comment about Pedro having a sensational season floored me, that commentator hasn't watched any our games this season at all. I also laughed when at a Spain corner he said that Busquets would be a threat :VdB:

On Spain, I am not surprised at the likes of Cesc and Pedro looking back at their best in this team, they don't have to sacrifice their game for any player. I think everyone knows what must happen next season to get Barca back at their best :pep:

Mr Hulot

They have 2 true centerbacks.
They have 1 defensive-minded leftback.
They are playing Fabregas behind a true centerforward which is his best position.
They are much better managed. Pedro isn't glued to the touch line where he can't beat his man. He's allowed total freedom to drift all over the place upfront.
Unbelieveable pressing.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

In short: yes. They are a better team.

Pretty bold statement, when 7 out of 11 are Barca players(with Valdes 8). It is just that level of national team football is lower than the Champions League imo.

F

forcabarca

So far so good.. Enjoying the game! Fluidic..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Stric

Jordi Alba is playing as a LB AND a LW, Soldado is a classic number 9, Pedro is starting from the right and Cesc has a free role starting as number 10. But you are right, they are very fluid at times!

That's pretty much how I see it as well.

I woder if the playstyle is something Barcelona will play with. The position Cesc plays in today dont exist in Barcelona. Basicly its 3AM, 1 Striker, Pedro playing both LW and RW alternating. It does give iniesta and Xavi more room, but the play is even more centered in the mid.

This this this this. The attack is very narrow, they're almost not using the flanks in the opposition half. Pedro is there, but he's also playing centrally most of the time. Occasionally there's a wide a run from Alba or something, but that's it. And it's working out beautifully. I've been saying this for months. Wingers providing width is overrated.

SeloBarca

That comment about Pedro having a sensational season floored me, that commentator hasn't watched any our games this season at all. I also laughed when at a Spain corner he said that Busquets would be a threat :VdB:

On Spain, I am not surprised at the likes of Cesc and Pedro looking back at their best in this team, they don't have to sacrifice their game for any player. I think everyone knows what must happen next season to get Barca back at their best :pep:

Most commentators for WC, EC or Conf cup are commentators that mainly watch EPL.. its the same for my country, they just know the names

That's pretty much how I see it as well.

This this this this. The attack is very narrow, they're almost not using the flanks in the opposition half. Pedro is there, but he's also playing centrally most of the time. Occasionally there's a wide a run from Alba or something, but that's it. And it's working out beautifully. I've been saying this for months. Wingers providing width is overrated.

WEll, it has it weakness aswell. Uruguay is not playing the best defence. We have been closed down in the mid before against English teams or better defensivly teams. Yet i agree crosses from wings are not our strongest part.

The thing Spain is doing good today is movement of the ball, and pressing when they loose the ball, something thats been missing in Barcelona the last season.

Last edited:

oz187

Do you guys think Spain today is better than Barca?

Spain play winning football. Looking at the first half, Uruguay didn't have a look in. Barca always give the opposition a chance to score, but with Spain you can't see them conceding except maybe off a set piece. What it means is teams can park the bus against Barca knowing that they can wait for their chance. But against Spain that won't work, at best you'd get a 0-0, but it's likely Spain will score a goal or two. So it puts the onus on the opposition to open up a bit which makes it easier for Spain to play their game.

There's only one attacking full back which automatically makes things more secure. Usually there's the double pivot(but not in this game). Spain also play the high press which suits Busi, and with no Messi it is even more effective, more than it was at Barca even under Pep. It would be interesting to see Spain against Brazil, and I'd love to see them play Bayern but that will never happen :(

Stric

Arbeloa is having the game of his life out there. The Spanish Messi!

I thought so, too. There was this run he did where I could swear it was Messi if I didn't know better. He was fouled two or three times but he kept going. :worthy:

SeloBarca

Can see it now. Uruguay is marking Iniesta and Xavi much more now and focusing the team in the mid, leaving the wings.

Also notice theres alot of midfielders, Soldado is quite along in front :p But Spain dont have to do more at 2-0

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans