Eric Abidal

F

Flavia

So it's peace and victory for the majority of the world... I had never heard it's also an insult.

Y

Youngie

This is the "peace" sign:

images

Abidal has just given us the "Eff you" sign

Believe me I know what I'm talking about

Stric

It's the peace/victory sign, and nobody really cares or thinks about whether it means something different if they turn their hand the other way around. What's the big deal? :lol:

Y

Youngie

It's not the eff sign in the majority of the world, catalunya and france included.

It is in Ireland & England & America :lol:

If Abidal did that to me I'd have wondered what I did to have peed him off so much!

loozy

I've always known it to be the Eff You-sign the way that Iniesta does it and the other way round the way John Lennon did it.

images

I actually wasn't aware that outside of the English-speaking countries there is no difference until I felt insulted by someone showing me the Eff You-sign as a gesture of peace ;)

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
I actually wasn't aware that outside of the English-speaking countries there is no difference until I felt insulted by someone showing me the Eff You-sign as a gesture of peace ;)

Really? I thought the same but the opposite. :D BTW, what Eff means?

F

Flavia

The middle finger really means "up yours" and the V sign means "Eff off", "Eff you" etc.

I'm just wondering why the heck would someone transform a peace sign on an eff sign, lol. Makes no sense. And I'm sure not one of the players know this, as much as I didn't.

Stric

What's the point of this discussion, anyway? Is someone really trying to say that the players are trying to insult the viewers of the photos? :lol: It's a reversed peace/victory sign, and that's all there is. They probably do it that way because they think it looks cooler. Other than for the sake of collecting common knowledge (which is fine, by all means), it's irrelevant what the reversed sign means in which culture, because that's obviously not what's intended in this context.

Damn it feels strangely good to see this. :blush:

Last edited:

loozy

It's all about the way your hand is facing ;) But apparently that is not that well-known and or just something special in English-speaking countries.

If I ever meet Iniesta and am coherent enough to talk to him, I shall explain because it bugs the feck out of me.

Y

Youngie

I'm just wondering why the heck would someone transform a peace sign on an eff sign, lol. Makes no sense. And I'm sure not one of the players know this, as much as I didn't.

Might have something do with Gangsta rap/hip-hop in the states...and I'm pretty sure Cesc, Pinto, Pique, Dani Alves and others (maybe Abidal) would know about it.

Home of Barca Fans