Eric Abidal

F

Flavia

Might have something do with Gangsta rap/hip-hop in the states...and I'm pretty sure Cesc, Pinto, Pique, Dani Alves and others (maybe Abidal) would know about it.
I doubt any of them knows it. And Dani surely doesn't, he's brazilian, never played on england or can speak english.

Galning

The picobello (okay) sign Abidal does in the picture with Iniesta also means go fuck yourself in some countries.

This is all very interesting by the way. Can't believe some people find it offensive.. different culture, different meaning.

Eetu

Adormit
Might have something do with Gangsta rap/hip-hop in the states...and I'm pretty sure Cesc, Pinto, Pique, Dani Alves and others (maybe Abidal) would know about it.

In that field 'throwing up deuces' has peaceful connotations, no matter which way your palm is.

loozy

The picobello (okay) sign Abidal does in the picture with Iniesta also means go fuck yourself in some countries.

This is all very interesting by the way. Can't believe some people find it offensive.. different culture, different meaning.

Hah, didn't know that :) Thanks :beer2:

0n0mat0p0eia

After a battle, i think it was Agincourt, the french said that they would cut off the first 2 fingers of the hand of the english archers - the fingers which held the arrows and pulled the bow-strings.

The english would hold up/ gesticulate in the air with the 2 fingers to show that they had not been beaten/captured by the french.

As a kid we took it to mean f**k off - 2 words for the 2 fingers, with the back of the hand facing the person to be insulted.

Churchill's 'victory' signal/Lennon's peace signal would have the 2 fingers up, palm foremost.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

In that field 'throwing up deuces' has peaceful connotations, no matter which way your palm is.

Well I'm talking about old rap/hip-hop i.e. Public Enemy etc. but lets just concentrate on the video above.

Plus Cesc playing in England for 8 years means he surely knows about it ;)

Eetu

Adormit
Well I'm talking about old rap/hip-hop i.e. Public Enemy etc. but lets just concentrate on the video above.

No, let's rather continue with this. Now I really want to see Chuck D giving the V sign :D

After a battle, i think it was Agincourt, the french said that they would cut off the first 2 fingers of the hand of the english archers - the fingers which held the arrows and pulled the bow-strings.

The english would hold up/ gesticulate in the air with the 2 fingers to show that they had not been beaten/captured by the french.

That seems to be a myth made up in the 1970's, as discussed in here.

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

No, let's rather continue with this. Now I really want to see Chuck D giving the V sign :D

You'll be waiting. I guess it's "un-couth" behavior in the USA nowadays (as opposed to Ireland for instance where it's a daily occurrence by kids of all ages). Even I do it!

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Which countries?

Isn't it that in Portugal making that sign while waving the fingers means 'your mom is a wh*re'? I saw Cristiano Ronaldo do it at Camp Nou towards the audience iirc, was told it meant that.

In my country the sign Abidal makes means 'perfect' or indeed 'picobello' :) Nothing wrong with it here.

Y

Youngie

Isn't it that in Portugal making that sign while waving the fingers means 'your mom is a wh*re'? I saw Cristiano Ronaldo do it at Camp Nou towards the audience iirc, was told it meant that.

That's Cristiano Ronaldo for you :lol: he sure knows how to wind the audience up.

Diogo28

In my country the sign Abidal makes means 'perfect' or indeed 'picobello' :) Nothing wrong with it here.

No, it isn't.

Home of Barca Fans