Ernesto Valverde - V1

Richard.H

A few days ago we all mocked CDR as a Mickey Mouse trophy.
Yet one user (I guess that he is from Barcelona) said something like: wtf? CDR is a very important Trophy, people here rate it as a perfect ending of a season and it is a huge celebration.

95% of posters here are international fans and for us Champions league and then La Liga are the only important trophies.
I have no idea, but maybe it is different for Catalan fans.
People is Catalonia seem to rate CDR.
Our board rate CDR, remember how we are the only team always playing with a lot of starters.

So, even though EV made horrible things in Europe, in the end, I won't be surprised in EV stays, because for the board: La Liga is the most important Trophy.
And EV is on a verge of a domestic double in 2 years.

That might explain a reaction from fans yesterday who didn't boo at players.
They failed in a CL, but I guess that they are still heroes for majority of them.
Since, they won La Liga infront of a mortal political/sport enemy: Real Madrid.

Catalan fans: WE COLOR SPAIN

MTL_Barca

If the team wants to keep him so badly they are to blame as much as the board itself. To an extent it's understandable that they listen to the big names of the team.

Problem is that it seems like the big names are totally fine with getting humiliated twice in a row while playing the most boring and slow football of their careers just because they like Ernie and are enjoying their safe starting spots.

Last edited:

abbbs97

I don't understand why the board listens to the older players. Yes, some of them are Barca legends but they are not in charge of running the club.
If the board wants to sack the manager, they shouldn't ask the players for permission. If the players are fine with keeping EV, then they deserve to get humiliated again next year.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
For Catalans, winning in Spain is all that matters, a win in Europe is a bonus. at Madrid it's different, they always prided themselves on winning in Europe starting from the 1950's. Barca didn't have any success in Europe until the late 70's and didn't win a European cup until the 90's, despite having the likes of Luis Suarez, Cruyff, Maradona.

Catalans just want to stick it to Spain especially after recent events, and winning the "King's Cup" is very important to them. Winning a Copa in Madrid or Seville or wherever and booing the anthem etc while taking home the trophy are the highlight of the season for Catalans.

xXKonan

Funny how it's usually the same group of people in the locker room are always say "We want him to stay!" yet you never hear what the rest of the squad has to say about that.

These small group of vets is attempting to speak for everyone yet I bet my ass off that a good portion of the squad does not feel the same way. Sure they haven't been around as long nor have won as much yet these guys also deserve to voice their own thoughts as well.

Crazy that the team is being held hostage by the same group of Vets who gave us so much yet are using their power to establish a dictatorship so they can cling on to their starting spots no matter how poor they are.

BBZ8800

For Catalans, winning in Spain is all that matters, a win in Europe is a bonus. at Madrid it's different, they always prided themselves on winning in Europe starting from the 1950's. Barca didn't have any success in Europe until the late 70's and didn't win a European cup until the 90's, despite having the likes of Luis Suarez, Cruyff, Maradona.

Catalans just want to stick it to Spain especially after recent events, and winning the "King's Cup" is very important to them. Winning a Copa in Madrid or Seville or wherever and booing the anthem etc while taking home the trophy are the highlight of the season for Catalans.

Yes, you are right.

Imo, to some extent, Barca has a bigger complex of Real than vice versa.
In terms of sport:
1. Real was a European giants since 50s (I want enter into reasons how they have done it), but still: Real was on top, we didn't have any trophies.
Of course that we want to prove to them how good we are than vice versa.
2. in political terms, again, Catalonia wants a separation and again, they have bigger reasons to stick it to Spain and RM than vice versa.

So, for us fans outside of fans, CL is the biggest trophy, but if we look a history and a current political situation, it is not that huge of a surprise to understand where the board members are coming from.
When they will look at this season, they will probably rate it this way:
1. La Liga, we won. 1:0 for Barca, EV and all players.
2. CDR, we won. 2:0 for Barca, EV and all players.
3. CL, we made a huge mistake, but since CL is hard to win either way and RM was also bad, it's ok.

Season's success: 8/10 to 9/10 in their eyes, is my wild guess.

So, in their eyes, a season was a huge success.

Regarding next season and turning the page, we have learned that the board likes to play it safe.
So, these are possible scenarios:
1. Barca keeping EV and majority of senior players (except Rakitic and Coutinho).
What can happen?
1) we will most likely win La Liga again due to Messi
2) if we lose La Liga, THEN the board will react in the next summer
2) Barca getting a new coach and keeping majority of senior players.
What can happen?
1) imo, it is a bigger risk. On one hand, we might win La Liga and start to play awesome.
2) on the other hand, we might turn into Lopetegui's or Solari's Real.
So, to the board, keeping EV is a safer option than a risk, especially since Pep, Klopp and similar can't come here.
3) Barca firing EV, getting a new coach and selling a lot of senior players (Busi, Raki, Suarez, Coutinho, Vidal):
1) a huge risk. We might turn into a new Pep's era.
2) but also we might turn into Man Utd or Arsenal.

So, again, when you sum it all:
1. Barcelona and socios rate La Liga and CDR the most. Add hate towards Real and Spain.
2. EV won 2 doubles
3. Barto likes to play it safe
4. all core players are under long contracts (Busi, Suarez, Pique, Alba) so we can't turn the page either way
5. new coaches and young players are extremely risky (Denis, Gomes, Paco, Digne, Semedo, Dembele, Malcom vs Umtiti and Lenglet)

My personal bet in this moment is:
1. EV will stay
2. we will find 2-3 scapegoats like Rakitic, Couitnho, maybe Malcom, Vidal or Umtiti
3. we will buy Frenkie, De Ligt and Griezmann.
Now, seriously, we have Messi and a team who won majority of La Ligas in the last 10 years.
Frenkie should be a good signing.
Griezmann is a player who played 10 years in LA Liga, won a World cup and scored 140 goals in Spain.
So, realistically, unless if Griezmann somehow turns into Coutinho, we should win another La Liga.
And again, that is the most important thing.

The last 2 times when we have turned the page was in 2003, after 4 years without trophies and in 2008 after 2 years without trophies.
The board will NOT turn the page drastically in this moment after 2 doubles.

Again, Barto will silence the fans with:
1. selling a few scapegoats
2. and buying 2-3 superstars to calm down the fans

To some extent, if we'll win La Liga again and bottle CL again, Barto would probably keep EV still.
I mean, since we won La Liga and said "fuck you" to Real and Spain.
And that is the most important thing in the world for Barto, the board and old socios.

Crazy that the team is being held hostage by the same group of Vets who gave us so much yet are using their power to establish a dictatorship so they can cling on to their starting spots no matter how poor they are.

Well:
1. those players love themselves
2. EV loves them
3. Barto loves them, he gave them long contracts
4. a large potion of fans still love them (look at how people are defending Busi in his thread, for example, lol)

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I don't have much hope for Europe, if certain players continue (old, slow, weak mentality) and a manager that has non clue in Europe. In theory Barca should still be strong in the league, but I have no idea how well Zidane's Madrid will do, they're usually inconsistent in the league, but his new project might be different. Atletico are losing key players and I don't see them doing much.

FinBarcelonafan

Yes, you are right.

Imo, to some extent, Barca has a bigger complex of Real than vice versa.
In terms of sport:
1. Real was a European giants since 50s (I want enter into reasons how they have done it), but still: Real was on top, we didn't have any trophies.
Of course that we want to prove to them how good we are than vice versa.
2. in political terms, again, Catalonia wants a separation and again, they have bigger reasons to stick it to Spain and RM than vice versa.

So, for us fans outside of fans, CL is the biggest trophy, but if we look a history and a current political situation, it is not that huge of a surprise to understand where the board members are coming from.
When they will look at this season, they will probably rate it this way:
1. La Liga, we won. 1:0 for Barca, EV and all players.
2. CDR, we won. 2:0 for Barca, EV and all players.
3. CL, we made a huge mistake, but since CL is hard to win either way and RM was also bad, it's ok.

Season's success: 8/10 to 9/10 in their eyes, is my wild guess.

So, in their eyes, a season was a huge success.

Regarding next season and turning the page, we have learned that the board likes to play it safe.
So, these are possible scenarios:
1. Barca keeping EV and majority of senior players (except Rakitic and Coutinho).
What can happen?
1) we will most likely win La Liga again due to Messi
2) if we lose La Liga, THEN the board will react in the next summer
2) Barca getting a new coach and keeping majority of senior players.
What can happen?
1) imo, it is a bigger risk. On one hand, we might win La Liga and start to play awesome.
2) on the other hand, we might turn into Lopetegui's or Solari's Real.
So, to the board, keeping EV is a safer option than a risk, especially since Pep, Klopp and similar can't come here.
3) Barca firing EV, getting a new coach and selling a lot of senior players (Busi, Raki, Suarez, Coutinho, Vidal):
1) a huge risk. We might turn into a new Pep's era.
2) but also we might turn into Man Utd or Arsenal.

So, again, when you sum it all:
1. Barcelona and socios rate La Liga and CDR the most. Add hate towards Real and Spain.
2. EV won 2 doubles
3. Barto likes to play it safe
4. all core players are under long contracts (Busi, Suarez, Pique, Alba) so we can't turn the page either way
5. new coaches and young players are extremely risky (Denis, Gomes, Paco, Digne, Semedo, Dembele, Malcom vs Umtiti and Lenglet)

My personal bet in this moment is:
1. EV will stay
2. we will find 2-3 scapegoats like Rakitic, Couitnho, maybe Malcom, Vidal or Umtiti
3. we will buy Frenkie, De Ligt and Griezmann.
Now, seriously, we have Messi and a team who won majority of La Ligas in the last 10 years.
Frenkie should be a good signing.
Griezmann is a player who played 10 years in LA Liga, won a World cup and scored 140 goals in Spain.
So, realistically, unless if Griezmann somehow turns into Coutinho, we should win another La Liga.
And again, that is the most important thing.

The last 2 times when we have turned the page was in 2003, after 4 years without trophies and in 2008 after 2 years without trophies.
The board will NOT turn the page drastically in this moment after 2 doubles.

Again, Barto will silence the fans with:
1. selling a few scapegoats
2. and buying 2-3 superstars to calm down the fans

To some extent, if we'll win La Liga again and bottle CL again, Barto would probably keep EV still.
I mean, since we won La Liga and said "fuck you" to Real and Spain.
And that is the most important thing in the world for Barto, the board and old socios.

Well:
1. those players love themselves
2. EV loves them
3. Barto loves them, he gave them long contracts
4. a large potion of fans still love them (look at how people are defending Busi in his thread, for example, lol)

Sad but true. I guess those thing make sense. As long as Real struggles in CL, we are happy to win domestic titles. It shouldn't be enough.

clemente

Messi needs to fake injury for Copa final, these other cluckers won't step up and we will lose 100%. that's literally the only way we can get rid of EV.

BBZ8800

I don't have much hope for Europe, if certain players continue (old, slow, weak mentality) and a manager that has non clue in Europe. In theory Barca should still be strong in the league, but I have no idea how well Zidane's Madrid will do, they're usually inconsistent in the league, but his new project might be different. Atletico are losing key players and I don't see them doing much.

We have Messi and Suarez who can both score 30-40 goals in La liga.
They have no one.
They lost CR7.
Hazard isn't a goalscorer.

So EV and his slow football is the safest bet against a current RM.

In a Cl, well we won it once in 8 years.
We won't win it either way, most likely.

I am not defending EV, btw.

Home of Barca Fans