FC Barcelona B (Barça Atlètic)

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
He was one of the highly rated CBs from our cantera but sadly he is worse now then he was 2 years ago. Let's hope that the same thing won't happend with Grimaldo.

This, sadly, seems to be the trend with Eusebio's team. There are a lot of players who are either underperforming or have gone to absolute ruins. Look at, say, Rafa and Sergi Roberto. Roberto was immense under Lucho and pitched in with constant top-notch performances the two years he played under Lucho. Rafa shone during his time with Oscar Garcia, and was one of the best performers of that Juvenil A team.

I think it all boils down to Eusebio not having a proper structure to get the best out of his players. He has gone to defy the groundwork both Pep and Lucho built 4-5 years back and is trying to impose himself onto the team with no apparent positive effect. The fact that Barça B are sitting in 8th position in Liga Adelante, says more about the players he has at his disposal than his efforts as a coach.

That, in itself, is quite telling of his capabilities.

yahudi

Unfortunately Eusebio is not to blame for the buys of Kiko, Rodri, Ie, Ca, players for which we paid more than what we got for Romeu..not to mention that Barca B spend this year more than some of the teams from Primera Division. Say what you want about RM, but at least they are making some money for their Castillia players.

Who does decide about the transfers for the B team? Lately, the scouting has not been very succesful, was it?

He was one of the highly rated CBs from our cantera but sadly he is worse now then he was 2 years ago. Let's hope that the same thing won't happend with Grimaldo.

Gomez never was rated as highly as Bartra or Muniesa. Recently, he performed even worse than Planas at CB. Surprisingly enough, Ie still rides the bench.

This, sadly, seems to be the trend with Eusebio's team. There are a lot of players who are either underperforming or have gone to absolute ruins. Look at, say, Rafa and Sergi Roberto. Roberto was immense under Lucho and pitched in with constant top-notch performances the two years he played under Lucho. Rafa shone during his time with Oscar Garcia, and was one of the best performers of that Juvenil A team.

With every trainer, for every winner there's also a loser... Gai was impressive under Pep and struggled under Luis Enrique. Maybe Sergi Roberto won't make it at all and we'll see Lobato contending for the 2014 Ballon d'Or.

Not trying to defend Eusebio, just putting things into perspective.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
With every trainer, for every winner there's also a loser... Gai was impressive under Pep and struggled under Luis Enrique. Maybe Sergi Roberto won't make it at all and we'll see Lobato contending for the 2014 Ballon d'Or.

Not trying to defend Eusebio, just putting things into perspective.

No, I agree.

To be fair, though, Gai was never that impressive under Pep and you could see his shortcomings already then. A lot of people argued that it's probably due to his young age and he'd get better with time, but when you run with your head down while lacking vision, eye for a pass and awareness at the age of 17, it will hardly change one of a sudden in the future.

Sergi Roberto has always been one of the most constant performers even before he began playing for Barça B. Ever since he got promoted to the B team, he did more than well enough to be noticed. It can't be just a weird coincidence (I don't believe in coincidences to begin with) that all of a sudden a handful of players start underperforming under Eusebio.

I still am leaning towards the team lacking any cohesive structure that would create further balance to it, in order for the more gifted ones to perform on a higher level. Deulofeu cannot be used here as a benchmark, as he's clearly one of the most amazing prospects in Barca B. But there are others that require nurturing and confidence to reach a higher level, and at times it seems players don't get that from Eusebio.

Last edited:

GiantKiller

Unfortunately Eusebio is not to blame for the buys of Kiko, Rodri, Ie, Ca, players for which we paid more than what we got for Romeu..not to mention that Barca B spend this year more than some of the teams from Primera Division. Say what you want about RM, but at least they are making some money for their Castillia players.

Seems to me that Eusebio really has got his priorities in the wrong order. Evidenced by the fact that we spent more than some teams from the Primera division on players that aren't old enough to become part of the teams' 'backbone'. I don't really understand this. If you've to get some new players, surely it would be more plausible to strengthen the spine of the B team? This way will make it easier for the youngsters to make the step up without being subject to unnecessary pressure of carrying the team at such an early age. Nurturing the La Masia youngsters should be given the highest priority.

Last edited:

yahudi

No, I agree.

To be fair, though, Gai was never that impressive under Pep and you could see his shortcomings already then. A lot of people argued that it's probably due to his young age and he'd get better with time, but when you ran with your head down while lacking vision, eye for a pass and awareness at the age of 17, it will hardly change one of a sudden in the future.

Sergi Roberto has always been one of the most constant performers even before he began playing for Barça B, and even then he did more than well enough to be noticed. It can't be just a weird coincidence (I don't believe in coincidences to begin with) that all of a sudden a handful of players start underperforming under Eusebio.

I still am leaning towards the team lacking any cohesive structure that would balance the team more, in order for the more gifted ones to perform on a higher level. Deulofeu cannot be used here as a benchmark, as he's clearly one of the most amazing prospects in Barca B. But there are others that require nurturing and confidence to reach a higher level, and at times it seems players don't get that from Eusebio.

Seems to me that Eusebio really has got his priorities in the wrong order. Evidenced by the fact that we spent more than some teams from the Primera division on players that aren't old enough to become part of the teams' 'backbone'. I don't really understand this. If you've to get some new players, surely it would be more plausible to strengthen the spine of the B team? This way will make it easier for the youngsters to make the step up without being subject to unnecessary pressure of carrying the team at such an early age. Nurturing the La Masia youngsters should be given the highest priority.

Agree 2x. Thank both of you for these insightful comments

Arachnid

I think it all boils down to Eusebio not having a proper structure to get the best out of his players. He has gone to defy the groundwork both Pep and Lucho built 4-5 years back and is trying to impose himself onto the team with no apparent positive effect. The fact that Barça B are sitting in 8th position in Liga Adelante, says more about the players he has at his disposal than his efforts as a coach.

That, in itself, is quite telling of his capabilities.

To me, Eusebio's biggest problem is his absolute lack of understanding of possession football. If B can't defend from the midfield, we end up with defenders looking bad because they are overworked with a lot of spaces. Roberto has to focus on moving back all the time and can't be the playmaker he was. The offense is the only saving grace of this team, and what manages to win the matches. But it worries me that the style is too different from the first team to ensure an easy transition.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Mauro Icardi just scored 2 against Juventus. Was sold to cheap. :angry:

yahudi

Barcelona B midfielder Jordi Quintilla (19) will join third division club Badalona on loan until the end of the season. [sport]

via barcastuff

Better for everybody, as he didn't get to play at all.

Home of Barca Fans