FC Barcelona B (Barça Atlètic)

khaled_a_d

We also have another Ghanaian player on trial, 18 yo midfielder Abdul Aziz Issah. He scored 4 goals in CAF Confederation Cup (African version of Europa League) last season.

His own club just announced on social media (twitter and FB) that we have officially signed him before transfer deadline.

Porque

Happy about this. When I had a dig about him last week, articles in July/early August said his club said he was going to be sold as they can't retain him because he had interest from the usual top Euro clubs.

Said that they are looking for a transfer fee of 1.5m USD.

Through his videos, looks a very interesting player.

Can't grumble over this added emphasis in the African market with three top rated talents signed (shame no Sekou Kone though).

The players have work permit issues, but once resolved don't count as non EU (doesn't really seem to be as much a problem these days though with less SA talent being signed by LaLiga) so it's good to get these guys into Juvenil A and Athletic.

khaled_a_d

Found out that they have played against Zamalek SC in Confederation Cup last season in the semi finals, he played 180 minutes (2nd biggest club in Egypt and arguably in Africa).

Was asking around, and apparently he was standout in the games especially considering his age. After the tie they tried to sign him but Dreams demands was deemed too expensive for them.

Fans liked him, but with the usual asterisk of "we don't know how this can translate to European football ".

khaled_a_d

BTW, there is some twitter chatter about Amara Diouf, who has allegedly signed with Metz.

His club forced him to play while he is injured, and he moved to Barcelona for treatment, I suspect that is the reason of this rumours.

Some says his Metz deal is broken now, and he and Barca might agree on a deal at some point.

Porque

I saw his name appear in some chats but discarded it because of the Metz signing. That adds some context though.

Long time until he can move to Europe though. Didn't Metz pay 5m or so to get there first?

Andresito

Staff member
I can't seem to recall, has there been a change scouting directions compared to say 10-15 years ago? Today it seems there are a lot more of these Africans rather than South Americans on our radar. Perhaps it's because of the price. But it should take more resources to properly scout in Africa than in South America where every other player has a highlight reel made by some kid in a basement.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I can't seem to recall, has there been a change scouting directions compared to say 10-15 years ago? Today it seems there are a lot more of these Africans rather than South Americans on our radar. Perhaps it's because of the price. But it should take more resources to properly scout in Africa than in South America where every other player has a highlight reel made by some kid in a basement.

I think it’s more a case of exploiting a market Barça have never been strong in whereas all the big clubs are poaching players in South America

Porque

Good question. Possibly a change of perception by the club made to happen by financial constraints and competition in South America.

Things move quickly in football though, even the Brighton method isnt as clear cut these days. If Kendry Paez (prob butchered the name but will lose this message if I exit the screen) had appeared 4 years ago then they would have signed him like Caicedo and the likes. Now they exposed the Ecuador market and Chelsea beat us to his signing.

We have always been in Africa. In the 90s we signed Okunowo I recall. Then we had the collab in Laporta's first stint with the Etoo foundation and had names like Etock who never really made it.

But definitely we are heavier in that market this window. And then look at Ibrahim Diarra, one of the best players in the U17 world cup. You have him going for pennies and then you have Echevierri going for 20m and Estevao for 50m+.

But of course you have to lay the ground work, get their first and build the relationship. We got their first for Diarra but Man U got there for Sekou Kone and even Metz beat everyone for Diouf. So all the big clubs are there already, but we have certain conditions in Spain (no nonEU issues) and being Barca (see below) that give us advantages.

You can literally scout Africa and find 50 Ibrahim Diarra's for the price of one big Brazilian talent of the same name.

Then there is another thing, Barcelona has a great reputation. I know first hand cases of Academies in Ghana who are Barcelona fans and will work their ass off to get their players a shot at Barca purely because of that, which is a huge first step.

Lastly perception. Before there was a notion of fake birth certificates and that these players don't transcend to Europe tactically. Now we realise we can get them at 18 with the right profiles and drop them into our development system and see if they flourish. While they will generally have better physical condition than most European and SA countries as a bonus.

Messi983

Good post.

BTW, not seen it reported anywhere, did we manage to register Ivan Cedric in the end? On TM he's still listed as our player so probably did.

Porque

I don't think it was completed. Or that it is being contested.

It's not the first time we didn't register a player on time under Laporta administration though right? Didn't we send the "paperwork" 4 minutes to late for Julian Araujo initially.

khaled_a_d

I don't think it was completed. Or that it is being contested.

It's not the first time we didn't register a player on time under Laporta administration though right? Didn't we send the "paperwork" 4 minutes to late for Julian Araujo initially.

Yes.
But apparently this time it was a delay from Las Palmas, that is why we didn't announce it immediately (or all, didn't follow up tbh)

Messi983

Barça considers that it carried out all the procedures in a timely manner, and that if there was a computer problem it was totally unrelated to the club. Therefore, the Barça entity presented a claim this Monday with the desire that the forward's registration can be formalized.

Three days have passed and apparently the resolution of the RFEF, which is studying the case, will not arrive this Wednesday either.

The club hopes that this Thursday there may already be a response and that it will be favorable to their interests.

Home of Barca Fans