Fernando Torres

B

barcelonista

Tbf, he looked the most dangerous attacker out there once he came in. He skinned like 2 or 3 players and cruised into the box with his first action.

I've watched almost all Chelsea games recently prior and after our game against them and he is really not getting any service from his teammates. Chelsea's midfield is so shit, it's unreal. They aren't creating anything. Only hoofing the ball upfront to Drogba. I see Torres so often waving with his arms to get the ball passed to him but he is being completely ignored constantly. Against Liverpool he didn't have any service and still produced one hell of a shot against the bar with a bit of individual skill, out of nothing. I would say he's playing well for a few weeks now and I'd really like to see what he can do alongside Xavi, Iniesta, Silva and Fabregas instead of Mikel, Lampard and Kalou. His shit record can't be just his fault. Drogba has only scored 5 goals in 24 Premier League games as well. I doubt that del Bosque will leave him at home.

Maria

9myrym

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
not gonna lie, I'm kinda happy for him.

not that I like the guy much, or even that he's finally been rewarded for his class, but the poor bastard has suffered so much it's good to see him get some redemption.

zanela

Tbf, he looked the most dangerous attacker out there once he came in. He skinned like 2 or 3 players and cruised into the box with his first action.

The only action, apart from the corner he earned. He can use his pace to run at tired defences and exploit the space on break, but he's no consistent goalscoring threat anymore.

You need to look at the PL thread to check the no. of times he was mocked for missing easy chances (Blackburn, ManU, Norwich and thts just the top off my head). He's had his fair share of chances in front of goal, but he failed to convert them. Sure chelsea's MF hasn't been as productive as prev seasons, but you can't really blame them for Torres' poor stats. It could be better had his finishing been better. (Drogba has 5 goals from 16 starts btw, but he also had ACN distraction, and wasn't up to 100% after that concussion early season and took some time to get going)
Torres' spain record speaks for itself. He has never been prolific even with a great Midfield behind him. And since 2008, he's scored 7 in 27 competitive games for Spain. So we 've already seen what he can do even with the Xavi's behind him.

And if skipping past tired legs and miscontrolling the ball in the box deserves a call-up, there are a dozen players more worthy of it.

Robbie

From a Guillem Balague interview after the final:

Torres: It’s contradictory because I feel like I’m at a peak moment in my career, with more desire and hunger than I’ve felt in a long time but I’ve had to spend the final on the bench. It was a huge disappointment when I saw the line-up, perhaps the biggest in my life.

This season I have felt things that I never had before. I’ve felt like they treated me in a way that I didn’t expect not in the way that was spoken of when they signed me. We’ve had a lot of talks and we’ll talk about my future because the role I’ve had this season is not for me, nor is it the one I expected to play when I came here. I’m not comfortable. I want them to tell me what is going to happen in the future. Football has been fair on us, on me.

Now I do feel like football is worth it but I’ve been through a difficult time. The worst in my career. Dont want that again, there’s been many times when I’ve felt lost, I wasn’t sure what to do. I felt like I didn’t know where I belonged.

I’m eternally grateful to my family who have been by my side and also for the support of the owners who have stuck by me. And especially to the fans, if it hadn’t been for them this season I would have given up. I need the club to tell me what is going to happen and what sort of role I will have within the team, what my duties are, what the club expects of me. And then judge whether it is worth it.

Sounds like he either wants a starting role or wants out. Dunno why Liverpool fans are calling him "medal thief" like they did with Owen. Torres still has that fire inside, and I think he'll have a massive season after the Euros. I'd take him at Arsenal in a heartbeat, especially since RVP doesn't look like he'll stay now.

B

barcelonista

I know that it's probably more wishful thinking that he will produce something for Spain than anything else, but still. He generally looks more of a threat than he did at the start of the season since di Matteo started resting Drogba for the big games and allowed Torres a run of consecutive games over 90 minutes in all the remaining league games. Drogba has 5 goals in 16 starts, Torres has 6 in 20 starts. Not much of a difference. Especially considering that this Chelsea team is still built around Drogba's strenghts. And while Drogba had the ACN distraction, Torres had to deal with being the laughing stock of the Premier League with his terrible post WC form and the expectations that came hand-in-hand with his price tag.

I'm just still in refusal to accept that he turned into Andy Carroll over night. :pep:

zanela

I know that it's probably more wishful thinking that he will produce something for Spain than anything else, but still. He generally looks more of a threat than he did at the start of the season since di Matteo started resting Drogba for the big games and allowed Torres a run of consecutive games over 90 minutes in all the remaining league games. Drogba has 5 goals in 16 starts, Torres has 6 in 20 starts. Not much of a difference. Especially considering that this Chelsea team is still built around Drogba's strenghts. And while Drogba had the ACN distraction, Torres had to deal with being the laughing stock of the Premier League with his terrible post WC form and the expectations that came hand-in-hand with his price tag.

That run (90X5) only resulted in a hat-trick against a relegation threatened QPR, who tried to play an expansive game at SB and got destroyed.

I'm just still in refusal to accept that he turned into Andy Carroll over night. :pep:

Except Carroll has scored big goals this season. :pep:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
From a Guillem Balague interview after the final:

Sounds like he either wants a starting role or wants out. Dunno why Liverpool fans are calling him "medal thief" like they did with Owen. Torres still has that fire inside, and I think he'll have a massive season after the Euros. I'd take him at Arsenal in a heartbeat, especially since RVP doesn't look like he'll stay now.

He's not a medal thief just a cunt. Unlike Michael Owen whp is a medal thief AND a cunt.

But going into that interview further I do know that his family do not like London. That is all I know in regards to his personal life in that regard. Professionally well Drogba showed his worth the last few months unlike Torres, so what did he expect?

B

barcelonista

That run (90X5) only resulted in a hat-trick against a relegation threatened QPR, who tried to play an expansive game at SB and got destroyed.

Doesn't matter who it was. At that point, no one expected Torres to even score 1 goal against anyone, nevermind 3. It's the same dude who missed a wide open net this season. Scoring 3 is already a big improvement. And again: I'm not saying he's back to his best and should be a starter for Spain. He just doesn't look as shit as at the start of the season anymore. It's mostly still a confidence issue with him I believe. He scores at Camp Nou and all of a sudden he produces a hattrick in the very next league game? I mean, come on. Who knows? The CL title might give him a further boost for the Euros.

Except Carroll has scored big goals this season. :pep:

:pep: :pep: :pep:

X

xaviniesta

i can't tell how much i hate that gary neville. my brain would probably explode if i'd have to listen him 90 mins...

plus he is a poor mans Juan Manuel Pons

Last edited:

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Torres absolutely does not deserve a call-up to the Euros over the following:

Adrián López (in form, lit it up all year for Atlético)

Negredo (in form, has 8 goals in his last 10 games, could be a vital player against a country like Italy or England who will look to park the bus, can replace Llorente at half-time in either game if he's struggling)

I'm not really mentioning Llorente or Soldado because he wouldn't be getting a call-up at the expense of either.

B

barcelonista

Can someone explain the Adrian love in this forum? From what I can see he didn't score a single goal between 26.11.2011 and 05.05.2012 in La Liga. That's 22 games in a row. Forget Torres for a second but people are even suggesting that Barca should buy Adrian. Please explain, someone.

Home of Barca Fans