Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
As good as he is, he won't save you if you keep fucking yourselves with the wage ladder. Since Abidal came in, there is progress. Whether it continues along the right lines is a different story.

That's true. But then again, as and when the old guard is out, there could be a positive change. Likes of Pique, Rakitic & Suarez are out in a season. And with Busquets, who's about to leave by the end of 2021, out we really would only have Leo!

And looks like Abi is more interested in re-building the squad using youngsters who are more a prodigy than an established player, age-wise, things might end up well regards with the wage ladder

YodaMaster

Valverde has alot of frustrations for fans, but if you watch De Jong's game, there is nothing about it that will cause Valverde to refuse to integrate him. Great first touch (unlike Malcom), tactical discipline (unlike Mina), strong on the ball, quick, great distribution. If you look at a player Valverde used in the past in Javi Martinez, that would probably be his closest fit, and Valverde made a really great version out of him. It is everything anyone would want in a midfielder.

As for position at Barcelona, I think if we played him at central midfield he would be making the forward playing passes with ease, much like how Arthur is doing it (and I did not see that in the 5 or so Gremio games I watched of him). With his pace and work ethic, he really could be the long term Rakitic replacement rather than Busquets. Reason being that his bursting runs from DMC are fabulous, but I can only suspect that that aspect of his game would be limited and contrived in our system.

Has Valverde ever coached Javi Martinez ?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
tenor.gif

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Feels good to sit here and watch him play and be like "Yep this guy is ours" while he's shitting on Real's Midfield.

Instead of sitting here and be like "Shit we may have fucked up big time in letting him go to PSG".

Worked out precisely as I had hoped when the draw came out

Laplacian

Personally I think he's way too gifted to play at CDM. Can mould him into a Modric-esque player. He's shown he has that final pass in him, but he's played further back in these games for him to play those.

In fact, he beats 9/10 players with his agility and acceleration alone. No need to do those Busquets-esque turns.

Finally this idea is catching on. I've saying this for months. That ability to dribble, drive the ball forward, go out wide to the left, go out wide to the ride, quick link up play up field, vision for incisive passes, playmaking ability, strength, height, and he's NATURALLY aggressive play...this guy's talent is begging to be used more upfield. Sticking him next to centrebacks and tasking him with ball distribution is such a fucking huge waste of his greatest talents. I don't know where they get the "busquets" comparison from (because he's tall?), but he plays more like a Modric and Iniesta than him. All he needs to pick up is the finishing and being an aerial threat in the box.

El Gato

Villarato!
That's true. But then again, as and when the old guard is out, there could be a positive change. Likes of Pique, Rakitic & Suarez are out in a season. And with Busquets, who's about to leave by the end of 2021, out we really would only have Leo!

And looks like Abi is more interested in re-building the squad using youngsters who are more a prodigy than an established player, age-wise, things might end up well regards with the wage ladder

Buying young isn't any good for you since you're hiking their wages when these guys are under 23. What do you think a more established 26 year old will demand if you go for one? This is not a sustainable model at all man. Can't have 11 Dembele's and De Jong's on the team, each coming for 60-120M and getting around 6-8M as starting salary which increases to 11-15 by the time they're 26-28. Simply not going to work if it continues.

Leo_Messi

The prospect of seeing De Jong and Arthur playing together is one sexy prospect. Would not trade those two midfield talents for anyone. We struck gold there.

Buying young isn't any good for you since you're hiking their wages when these guys are under 23. What do you think a more established 26 year old will demand if you go for one? This is not a sustainable model at all man. Can't have 11 Dembele's and De Jong's on the team, each coming for 60-120M and getting around 6-8M as starting salary which increases to 11-15 by the time they're 26-28. Simply not going to work if it continues.

Eh, we won't have 11 De Jong's and Dembélé's. Those two are exceptional talents on their respective positions. Some of the very best out there already with one of the highest future ceilings out there. This won't be the standard. Can't be. For any club.

That wage discussion was already debunked by me a while ago. Turns out that UEFA's own numbers put RM ahead of us. So much for the doom and gloom.

Not to mention that we have a few seniors left on high wages. Who are all going to be faced out soon. Next 2-3 seasons (at most) in other words. That will leave a huge amount of money for the club.

Our business model and the economic side of the club is one of the best well-run out there. One of the few things that this board has done really well continuously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans