Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andresito

Staff member
I also think he's more suited as a DM. I don't think we'll see Arthur, Busi and Frenkie playing together very often, even if it seems good on paper.

khaled_a_d

Most people who see a few games will think he would better playing higher up the field but he isnt that good near the box. He should really stay in the back and dictate the pace and create space

Been saying that for some time, he is Busi replacement not Raki

Havesaks

he doesn't have to be a coutinho near the box. rakitic is nothing special near the box. only asset he has is long shots

and yet de jong plays a through ball more frequently than him

well even tho de jong can play hcm, the question is where his skillset is made best use of, and that is probably on DM.

vlad

Been saying that for some time, he is Busi replacement not Raki

If thats the case, where he will play? Who will bench busi, also busi will probably level up because he will actually have competition for once, playing with 2 DM? Whats with arthur? Playing without AM? So arthur can also have place, rotate so everyone will gonna be happy? Hard to imagine that

Also many things depend on next barca coach, valverde will probably go after this season if he fails in CL

Edit: i will take opinion from user ajax as a relevant, i suppose he watch him weeken by weekend and not only in CL, if he is best at DM position, why play him on another position, CM for example, where he would do okay but not good as he would do it on his natural position DM? Waste of talent for me, and as i said, busi will not let his place easily

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
If thats the case, where he will play? Who will bench busi, also busi will probably level up because he will actually have competition for once, playing with 2 DM? Whats with arthur? Playing without AM? So arthur can also have place, rotate so everyone will gonna be happy? Hard to imagine that

Also many things depend on next barca coach, valverde will probably go after this season if he fails in CL

Edit: i will take opinion from user ajax as a relevant, i suppose he watch him weeken by weekend and not only in CL, if he is best at DM position, why play him on another position, CM for example, where he would do okay but not good as he would do it on his natural position DM? Waste of talent for me, and as i said, busi will not let his place easily

Could rotate him between DM and CM during his first season. Who knows, maybe he picks something up from playing CM and develops his game.
But in the long run I think DM is his best position, linking defense and midfield rather than midfield and attack.

khaled_a_d

He will phase Busquets out, taking minutes from him -along some from Raki too- and sooner or later Busquets will have to accept a bench role or leave for another experience, after next season he will be 2020 so last chance to try new club in Europe if he wants to.

VN10

He will phase Busquets out, taking minutes from him -along some from Raki too- and sooner or later Busquets will have to accept a bench role or leave for another experience, after next season he will be 2020 so last chance to try new club in Europe if he wants to.

Him and De Ligt will be starters before Christmas, if not earlier than that. Why wouldn't Frenkie and Busi be able to play together?

Messi will see to that. He's going to be so happy with Frenkie's awareness and feed.

Newcomer

What does it mean exactly? Tempo controller? He holds the ball longest?

It is just a stupid graphs made to highlight the player of their choice, here de Jong.

Holding the ball longer doesn't mean anything. It can be bad or it can be good. The only way to judge it is to actually watch the player and the way the team plays.

Some teams ask their midfielder to release the ball fast so they won't hold the ball. Doesn't mean they are bad at controlling the game. Motta was the tempo controller of PSG and he was playing with 1 or 2 touch of the balls with passes that break the opponent pressing.

The funny thing is you can see Rabiot next to de Jong. One of the major complain PSG fans have over Rabiot playstyle (bar his laziness when he has to track back) is that he holds the ball for too long instead of giving it in the right timing of his teammates runs and then, he ends up doing a pass of 5 meters because he carried the ball up to his teammate feet. Yes, he doesn't lose the ball this way, but he slows the plays too much and gives time to opponent to organize their defence.

FinBarcelonafan

It is just a stupid graphs made to highlight the player of their choice, here de Jong.

Holding the ball longer doesn't mean anything. It can be bad or it can be good. The only way to judge it is to actually watch the player and the way the team plays.

Some teams ask their midfielder to release the ball fast so they won't hold the ball. Doesn't mean they are bad at controlling the game. Motta was the tempo controller of PSG and he was playing with 1 or 2 touch of the balls with passes that break the opponent pressing.

The funny thing is you can see Rabiot next to de Jong. One of the major complain PSG fans have over Rabiot playstyle (bar his laziness when he has to track back) is that he holds the ball for too long instead of giving it in the right timing of his teammates runs and then, he ends up doing a pass of 5 meters because he carried the ball up to his teammate feet. Yes, he doesn't lose the ball this way, but he slows the plays too much and gives time to opponent to organize their defence.

Okay thanks. Makes sense. Good points.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I have noticed that de Jong likes to keep the ball and try and dribble sometimes, he is like Modric in that way. At Barca that might need to change unless he plays further forwards. A Busi/de Jong/Arthur midfield three would be a good tiki taka midfield, but I'd like him to replace Busquets and get another midfielder in there next to Arthur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans