Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I absolutely disagree that he is restricted as a CDM and "unleashed" as a CM. In fact, at Barca I think quite the opposite is true especially under Valverde.

To say Frenkie plays like a Xavi role is somewhat lazy and trying to fit him 1:1 into something he isn't. They are both excellent at press resistance, ball progression, and dictating play, however they do it in different ways. Xavi plays more as an 'outlet' player, receiving the ball in traffic and higher areas in the pitch. He dropped back a lot, but a large part of Xavi's behaviors on the pitch came from him existing in those higher pockets of space under pressure. From there he'd receive passes from any direction, swivel around, and distribute it into any other direction.

FDJ tends to start plays from deeper positions, facing the opposition goal. He tends to drive forward more aggressively/vertically from deep positions and that's how he initiates a lot of his linkup and passing. His best plays tend to come from him "building up a head of steam" as he either dribbles or 1-2's his way up the pitch in either direction. That's momentum on the ball, and it's something he needs to do his work well. He also wins a LOT of duels/interceptions like that (starting deep and pushing up to catch them off guard) and did so against Napoli to assist a goal. He is good as an outlet because he has excellent awareness but he isn't quite as agile/technical as Xavi in the tightest of spaces and doesn't tend to do his best work in pockets like an outlet player.

Just look at his best performance against Napoli. He was used as a CDM/Regista, and played with TOTAL freedom and dictated the play wherever it was on the pitch. Since FDJ was often the first player making a run/pass out of the back, that gives him the power to dictate the quality of the entire attacking move from the very beginning. He broke the initial opposition press with dribbles or splitting passes, then he made followup runs and plays in support and also develops the attacking move further until its conclusion. From the CDM position he had total field vision of everything in front of him and made key runs forward (on either side, left or right) to set an aggressive offensive tempo.

On the other hand, we saw him play as LCM with Dembele for like 30 mins in one game. That was a pretty good performance and FDJ did make nice plays at LCM combining with Dembele, however he had fewer touches on the ball than he did as a pivot. We saw it again when Arthur/Coutinho came on in the next game and there was some unspoken positional switch and FDJ switched to the interior while Arthur was the pivot. FDJ had FAR fewer touches at LCM and our poor organization often left him isolated, with Coutinho totally abandoning the LW.

FDJ clearly had way more impact on the overall game and the level of our offensive play when deployed as a Regista style CDM. We need to stop this restrictive "Xavi role" or "Busquets role" type shackles. FDJ plays in the position of Busi but his style of play gives him freedom to roam offensively like Xavi does.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yeah I was very tempted to make the Beckenbauer comparison more than anything. Frenkie has been compared to Xavi because of his passing, Iniesta because of his dribbling, Busquets because of his defense and line breaking from deep. He's been compared to Cruyff because he's Dutch and uses dribbling feints a lot.

But the fact is, if I really had to compare him to any player he is none of those guys but resembles Beckenbauer the most by far. A hint of Modric with his dribbling style.

Xaviniesta

early days but his playstyle is indeed similar to modric for me. same feints and turns. even uses the outside of his foot for passes. and he glides past players with good close-control dribbling. only thing lacking is the shooting but that can only improve if he plays closer to goal

AjaxAmsterdam

Interesting interview in dutch magazine VI couple of the topics :

-He talked to Guardiola aswell as Tuchel before finally chosing Barca (for comparison he didnt talk to Valverde untill his first training which makes me think he isnt a Valverde signing)
-Barca wasnt showing any real interest and he almost was gonna go to PSG which saddened him so he got his agent Ali Dursun to call people at Barca 1 last time and they succeeded and got Bartomeu to fly over.

jamrock

In a perfect world we would have something like

Eriksen--FDJ--- aurtur

Like I posted somewhere else, someone like eriksen would be huge for us

But this is not a perfect world and busquets will 100,% start, so he will have to play in Central midfield at least for this season.

Gnidrologist

Bullshit. Frenkie excells because he plays in that specific area in front of the defence.
I could elaborate on that, but I choose not to lol.

If you guys don't see that, I'm afraid that you should watch another sport.
You do remember that in Pep's system Busi was the conservative transition point from defense to CMs, while Xavi was CM "bridge" that basically made the roads from nothing for everyone further down the road. In this respect Frankie seems to have great potential as he's trying to be everywhere and constantly looking (and seeing) for spaces for team mates to exploit.
Anyhow, i think he will excel in any position he'll be put in, because he'll ignore it anyway and will do his own thing all the way. :lol:
He has been compared to Beckenbauer, which imo is p. apt. A guy, who can be a competent CB, but basically can run the show anywhere on the pitch.

Last edited:

AjaxAmsterdam

You do remember that in Pep's system Busi was the conservative transition point from defense to CMs, while Xavi was CM "bridge" that basically made the roads from nothing for everyone further down the road. In this respect Frankie seems to have great potential as he's trying to be everywhere and constantly looking (and seeing) for spaces for team mates to exploit.
Anyhow, i think he will excel in any position he'll be put in, because he'll ignore it anyway and will do his own thing all the way. :lol:
He has been compared to Beckenbauer, which imo is p. apt. A guy, who can be a competent CB, but basically can run the show anywhere on the pitch.

Yeah thats true bout him doing his own thing. Many youth coaches have tried to stop him from dribbling out of defense from the center and whenever he made a crucial fault instead if saying "coach i wont do it again" he would say "coach ill do it better next time".

He comes across as quite shy and timid off the field but on the field he is extremely confident and wont ever hide.

Andresito

Staff member
Yeah thats true bout him doing his own thing. Many youth coaches have tried to stop him from dribbling out of defense from the center and whenever he made a crucial fault instead if saying "coach i wont do it again" he would say "coach ill do it better next time".

He comes across as quite shy and timid off the field but on the field he is extremely confident and wont ever hide.

He's in the same mould as ter Stegen. They both came to new cultures, new language, as youngsters among superstars they grew up watching.

Now ter Stegen has grown into a leader and I have absolutely no doubts Frenkie will be captain material in the future as well.

serghei

I'm sure good old Ernie will find a way to not use him very often in his best position. Because he doesn't have the balls to bench Busquets. He always manages to get these talents confused. Either he leaves them on the bench, off the squad, or plays them not on their best position. Man is an expert at misusing and misdirecting talent.

Last edited:

Donatello

Frenkie is already better than Verratti ever was or ever will be. Same goes for another overrated midfielder, Thiago.

Although I agree with you, but I guess its better to let De Jong remain low key, otherwise its Dembele 2.0 waiting to happen, one wrong move and they all come bashing.

Jcar

Couldn't we just give freedom to the midfield of three to move as they want? Like, just throw Arthur, De Jong and maybe Rakitic on the midfield and let they move as they wish.

You know, Rakitc has his flaws, but has great attributes either. Maybe with Arthur and De Jong, we could compensate his flaws and get the best out of him.

Arthur, Rakitic and De Jong can play as DM... So we make each at time play as DM while the others go up and trade positions... I would like to see an organized mess.

But oh well, our coach is Valverde.

El Guaje

Watch as he starts on the bench tomorrow because he is ”new and needs time to adapt”. Busquets and Rakitic 100% will play from start along with either Bob or Vidal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans