Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

TANGA NIO

Banned
lol. De Jong played his whole life as a 10.
Only the last 1,5 years at Ajax he played as DM.
How can he not be used to it if that was hus first nature where he played his whole life?
He just doesn't have it. He doesn't have the speed of thinking and having solutions to be a succesfull passer.
And even De Jong said he has no problem in what position in the Midfield. This is just fans excuse because they rated him so high but his game is still not that impressive. Maybe next year

Toecrusher

He is a CDM in a 433 or one of two pivots in a 4231. That's his position. If he then struggles somewhere else doesnt mean he is suddenly crap, its just not his position.

Remember games with peak Busquets as one of the two interiors in a 433? How about Xavi early in his career forced to be a DM? Or Ronaldinho as a central striker? Or Messi as a left winger?

All generational GOAT players, all struggled to make an impact when outside their best position.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Midfield is the toughest position for an incoming player to adapt to at Barca, IMHO. I love Frenkie and what he will surely bring going forward but agree he can play better than he has - has to be appreciated, however, that he has had to not just adapt to club, country & language but also two different coaching styles in the 6 months he's been here

He has an incredible mentality & skillset, only a question of time for him

MrBombastic

You tell me if he's looking natural when shooting in the box, he's like Busquets, it's awkward.

Regarding his passing I don't have doubts about him.

His biggest weaknesses today are his shooting and decision making in the opposition box. Why do I think this? Because it looks unnatural the way he does it, not that he is a shit player but because he needs adaptation.

you are right about his shooting.
But why is his shooting not that great?
It's the same as his passing.
His first tought in his head when he gets the ball is touching it, turnover,rotation and dribble.
Not a second he was thinking to try to set someome free with passing.
because his lack of decision making he never shoots.
His whole life he doesn't shoot because it doesn't come into his mind to shoot.
He does what he always does and therefore he didn't develop that.

just compare Xavi play to his.
If Xavi dribbles that's the best solution at that moment.
When he rotates to try to fool his opponents he rotates towards the free space and the field is open with all space to set up an dangerous attack.
Everything has a thought and is a natural instict.
De Jong doesn't have that. He is one dimendional and a one trick pony. He always does the same thing.
Moving towards the ball, receiving it, touching it, looking, hesitate, dribble, pass it sideways.

JohnN

you are right about his shooting.
But why is his shooting not that great?
It's the same as his passing.
His first tought in his head when he gets the ball is touching it, turnover,rotation and dribble.
Not a second he was thinking to try to set someome free with passing.
because his lack of decision making he never shoots.
His whole life he doesn't shoot because it doesn't come into his mind to shoot.
He does what he always does and therefore he didn't develop that.

just compare Xavi play to his.
If Xavi dribbles that's the best solution at that moment.
When he rotates to try to fool his opponents he rotates towards the free space and the field is open with all space to set up an dangerous attack.
Everything has a thought and is a natural instict.
De Jong doesn't have that. He is one dimendional and a one trick pony. He always does the same thing.
Moving towards the ball, receiving it, touching it, looking, hesitate, dribble, pass it sideways.

Comparing with Xavi shouldn't be the standard for any 23yo midfielder.
The man had a football brain the size of Camp Nou.

MrBombastic

Comparing with Xavi shouldn't be the standard for any 23yo midfielder.
The man had a football brain the size of Camp Nou.

i'm comparing him with young Xavi.
It's not that he should be on the level of Xavi and do the same things. Xaxi is one of the best and it's nit fair to expect he should be on his level.
I'm just comparing the speed of thinking which is the decisive factor of being world class player.
I just want to point out that dribbling, rotation and touching the ball are show elements. It's what you do with the ball after these rotation and dribbling.

pregra

Didn’t notice him until he started lying on the floor. Plays like a castrated dog out there, no personality in his play whatsoever. All he does is play the safe pass over and over and over. And don’t start with this «he should play in Busi’s position» crap...

FC433

Paco was played at LM, Coutinho at LW, Griezmann at LW and FDJ at CAM. What is the point? It is time for Suarez, Busquets, Rakitic and Pique to leave.

JamDav1982

De Jong is not great when teams sit off him and too much time on ball.

He suits players pressing him and has good mobility.

Should be at DM and constantly moving to link defence to midfield. Teams try to press him there and it wont go well for them.

Teams are finding it too easy to press Barca defence mid at moment as Raki and Busi are so fucking slow and cumbersome barely ever move into good positions to receive it

Total-Football

It saddens me seeing Dejong solely making runs towards the box. We have the best passer in the world behind and only one player making runs.. A defensive midfielder nonetheless. Also buskets at times with the beta male backward passing when dejong was making those... Too bad he was a meter shy of converting one of those runs when he dived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans