Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

That's why it matters.

Yes I see what you mean but i don't think there is a footballing benefit to who wears the arm band. Puyol, whether he wore the arm band or not, was a true leader of men and it was obvious. Within a team there should naturally be some leaders who don't need an armband. People like Mascherano, Eto'o etc were never our first captains but they were leaders on the pitch

kattanib

Yes I see what you mean but i don't think there is a footballing benefit to who wears the arm band. Puyol, whether he wore the arm band or not, was a true leader of men and it was obvious. Within a team there should naturally be some leaders who don't need an armband. People like Mascherano, Eto'o etc were never our first captains but they were leaders on the pitch

It does for the other players. People have different personalities and values, some are image driven and politically correct or traditional, some are impact driven .. all in all having a proper captain increases the likelihood that most of these different personalities listen to him and it reduces conflict. Example if there is a traditional player that believes in hierarchy, he is more likely to listen to someone just because of his status as opposed to the substance of what he is saying

Last edited:

Batistuta9

Some of you guys put way too much importance on the captaincy. It might be a slight help, but nothing major. Even if Messi was stripped of the captaincy, he'd still be the team's leader on the pitch due to his footballing ability. The rest of the team will look to him no matter what.

This team is just garbage. Having the best captain in the world wouldn't make a difference.

Andrew M

It does for the other players. People have different personalities and values, some are image driven and politically correct or traditional, some are impact driven .. all in all having a proper captain increases the likelihood that most of these different personalities listen to him and it reduces conflict. Example if there is a traditional player that believes in hierarchy, he is more likely to listen to someone just because of his status as opposed to the substance of what he is saying

But having an armband does not give you status automatically. If Ramos had his captaincy taken away he would still run that locker room. Anyone who came to Madrid would not need to see an arm band on his bicep to know that he runs the place

olivis

Seeing PSG make the final I hope he doesn't regret his last moment switch to us.

Only reason he came here is because he was a Barca fan. Must hurt being in this mess right now. Luckily he is young enough to be part of the transition and later the new generation

kattanib

Seeing PSG make the final I hope he doesn't regret his last moment switch to us.

Only reason he came here is because he was a Barca fan. Must hurt being in this mess right now. Luckily he is young enough to be part of the transition and later the new generation

Henry mentioned that his favorite moment as a footballer is once he managed to make it to the senior team and become a true professional footballer. There is way more than just another title in the history book .. usually its the journey that last in people?s memories. De Jong doesn?t strike me as a person who would enjoy the PSG route

George_Costanza

I hope Koeman plays him in his proper role as a holding midfielder.

He just said he will play him there

Screen-Shot-2020-08-19-at-10-16-14-PM.png

Andresito

Staff member
With him at DM we always looked more fluid, like when Busi was in his prime. He's able to connect the defense and the midfield.

Now we just need that link between midfield and attack. Hoping that Pjanic and Riqui can carry that burden.

Newcomer

I don't think de Jong cares one bit about PSG. He almost signed there but he chose Bar?a at the end because they meet his demands and it was his dream destination.

I see him more as an Arthur. Not talking about the player qualities or work ethic. Imo, the only reason he would leave Bar?a is if he is pushed out the same way Arthur has been pushed out. That being said, it is very unlikely as he has everything to succeed there. Not sure if he will meet the "best midfielder in the world" level he was supposed to reach after his stratospheric year at Ajax though.

Henry mentioned that his favorite moment as a footballer is once he managed to make it to the senior team and become a true professional footballer. There is way more than just another title in the history book .. usually its the journey that last in people?s memories. De Jong doesn?t strike me as a person who would enjoy the PSG route

What is PSG route ? And why would de Jong not enjoy it ? We are talking about a guy who was literally hours away from signing for PSG before Bar?a mounted a last minute successful substantial offer. Those young players don't care about some kind of "route". The same thing happened with de Ligt who let Raiola put him on auction until all his demands were met (a "low" release clause both Bar?a and PSG would not accept on top of big wages). And despite Juventus relatively poor season, i'm pretty sure he is happy with his choice.

Players are usually happy as long as their demands are met wherever they are and as long as they adapt to their new private life (MU and south american players for example). De Jong is living his dream life currently. Sure, he is upset he has lost with Bar?a but he will become used to it during Bar?a rebuild (same thing is happening at Real Madrid). It is normal, you are in between cycles. Maybe three years from now, you'll trust all the titles while PSG without Mbapp? and Neymar will be the one rebuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans