Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergus90

I may get some flack for this but FDJ to me has lacked a big game performance for Barca. In general he is super consistent and stamina is immense but I struggle to get giddy about him.

pregra

Yeah he is almost always a 6 out of 10. never more, never less. Not what you should be paying 80 mill for

Sorin

His best position is Busquets', period. He can drop between the CBS and help advance the ball. Distributing left and right with the odd cameo in the oppo's box. That's it.

At best you can use him as a b2b against lower level teams who can't put pressure on our backline.

Richard.H

It’s been two years now and like someone said in chat, he’s basically a more physical and more stamina version of S.Roberto.

fergus90

Maybe it's just me, but often leaves me with a feeling of disappointment.

He does me too and I can remember we both shared a similar sentiment about him turning into a more box-to-box player than the controller we expected to get.

My main issue with him is that he lacks creativity with his passing, its all very lateral and can be quite stale. He will go on a run and then his choice of pass is disappointing.

Rory

Doesn't grab a game by the scruff of the neck. Wants things to be going his way in order to get a win. I think he's a great player but he never lifts his game for a big game.

malvolio

Every single time for me, even in his supposed “good” games. He was hyped to be our best mid when he was signed, let’s not forget that

Some kind of jack of all trades but master of none. He isn't bad, bud he doesn't excel in a single position either. Not the return you would expect for 80 mil

Joan

Every single time for me, even in his supposed ?good? games. He was hyped to be our best mid when he was signed, let?s not forget that

Yeah, fully agreed. Just wanted to put it mildly. He might be, next to a grandpa Busquets and an 18 yo Pedri, but not by much. And is hyped to be much more.

mc_lovin

I may get some flack for this but FDJ to me has lacked a big game performance for Barca. In general he is super consistent and stamina is immense but I struggle to get giddy about him.

I really dont get what people expect him to do (as a CM/DM/ballplaying defender). As long as our attack is such an incoherent mess our midfield (or team) wont look good in big games. Its that simple.

FC433

I really dont get what people expect him to do (as a CM/DM/ballplaying defender). As long as our attack is such an incoherent mess our midfield (or team) wont look good in big games. Its that simple.
I agree. We are still yet to have a proper 11. FDJ is an excellent player.

fergus90

To me personally, because I've seen a lot of people say he's excellent and that we should be building the midfield around him that I'd expect him to be much more influential in grabbing the midfield by the scruff of the neck, the ability to pass between lines and switch play and dictate the tempo when necessary. I do like him but I never see more than a 6.5/10 most weeks, a reliable player with great stamina but lacks imagination in the pass, a jack of all trades if you will.

I see FDJ being labelled as world class, then i look at someone like Kimmich etc and just see a huge gap in the quality of their midfield play. If FDJ cost 30 million id be delighted with him but I just struggle to see the quality that others do.

Bobo32

His best position is Busquets', period. He can drop between the CBS and help advance the ball. Distributing left and right with the odd cameo in the oppo's box. That's it.

At best you can use him as a b2b against lower level teams who can't put pressure on our backline.

He is poor positionally, both in skill and in style.
He looked good as something like a CDM in Ajax in an underdog team, most of it was him just being calm on the ball and dribbling through bullrushing opponents.
He has been here a long time now, he isn't good enough for a holding role. He can run around as a b2b and do stuff well on the fly, but you can't really have too many of those players at the same time, then you will lose against competent opposition. Pedri is a bit of the same right now, jogging around a bit aimlessly.

He can become Great as a CB, or very good in a free B2B role in a good team. I guess a double pivote suits him decently, but I don't like that setup at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans