Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porque

Decent in central midfield, poor in defensive midfield.

Not quick enough to release, doesn't see/find the outlet quick enough. I think in this match it would have been better to move Nico there although he too has his problems, and that long term the best in-house solution for DMC right now is Pedri.

As for keeping him. Absolutely yes. Give Xavi 18 months with him and if he hasn't broken into the midfielder we need for our style, then sell at 26.

Bobo32

Decent in central midfield, poor in defensive midfield.

Not quick enough to release, doesn't see/find the outlet quick enough. I think in this match it would have been better to move Nico there although he too has his problems, and that long term the best in-house solution for DMC right now is Pedri.

As for keeping him. Absolutely yes. Give Xavi 18 months with him and if he hasn't broken into the midfielder we need for our style, then sell at 26.

I like your eye here and I agree. Maybe Garcia or even Mingueza could be options too, to brainstorm a bit. Xavi said something about Gavi being able to, but I didn't see it so far.

Porque

I like your eye here and I agree. Maybe Garcia or even Mingueza could be options too, to brainstorm a bit. Xavi said something about Gavi being able to, but I didn't see it so far.

Garcia is a very good call, although I like him at CB and would want to see him grow there. The irony if Garcia were to be DMC and de Jong CB though.

Mingueza has great anticipation off the ball but is too suspect on it and doesn't see the whole of the pitch. Even from the rightback he loses sight of passing options under pressure, let alone being in a central position.

There is also that Cases guy but we will have to see how he performs once he hits Barca B. Atleast you would expect Xavi to have a great eye for midfield talents!

Bobo32

Garcia is a very good call, although I like him at CB and would want to see him grow there. The irony if Garcia were to be DMC and de Jong CB though.

Mingueza has great anticipation off the ball but is too suspect on it and doesn't see the whole of the pitch. Even from the rightback he loses sight of passing options under pressure, let alone being in a central position.

There is also that Cases guy but we will have to see how he performs once he hits Barca B. Atleast you would expect Xavi to have a great eye for midfield talents!

I think Mingueza is pretty poor on the ball from the flank, but as a CB I really like his calmness and his decisions. He spots the longer passes between the lines from there, and knows when to advance or when to play simple.
DM is a very different role to CB but also to RB. I think the staticness of it is roughly the same as a CB and as a DM, but the need for a great sense of space is of course much higher in midfield. A long shot, but something I'd consider testing if Busquets was not available.

Yeah it would be ironic to switch Garcia and Frenkie, but I wouldn't be against it. Garcia should probably continue as a CB though I agree, I think he is great. Maybe a great CB pairing :)

Never heard of Cases I think, but I liked that slowish DM that was captain in of the youth teams (the one with Ilias and Alba right), I know you know who I am thinking about.

ajnotkeith

I think De Jong played well. I also remember in the Benfica game where everyone choked including golden boy Garcia he's the only one who played well. He has quality.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
He is the least of our problems... Cou, Umtiti, Brait, Luuk, Aguero and Demb - maybe even Fati because of his injuries - than we what to do about Busi och Pique? We have to find a solution for 9 players before we even start to discuss one of our best players... Is he perfect? Hell no. But priorities pls!

Catta

Bad game, one of the worst on the pitch. Not anymore against selling him if Nico, Gavi and Pedri develop like expected.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I hate how little attacking talent he has. On paper, he has the dribbling skills, the ball conduction to be threatening in the final third. Really should consider cashing in on him and reinvesting.

Andresito

Staff member
I don't see his role in this setup. Like what is he supposed to bring differently compared to the rest? Nico is doing things we want Frenkie to do.

fergus90

De Jong is good at advancing with the ball but has poor end product. Absolutely zero instinct what to do 30 yards or closer to goal.

The midfield is no worse when he's not there. Xavi can surely get a better tune out of him than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans