Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't think we'll need to sacrifice Frenkie for Haaland. Not sure sacrificing Frenkie will help land Haaland anyway. Won't be screaming a great sports project if we sacrifice him for Busquets to keep playing until he need his legs amputated.

Whether he plays like one or not he's highly regarded still among his peers and other teams and managers probably.

fergus90

I like Frenkie but I don't think he's performed or has the influence on the team, to the level where it can be called a sacrifice.

I also don't think losing him would be catastrophic but the only real negative means more guaranteed seasons of starter Busquets.

serghei

I like Frenkie but I don't think he's performed or has the influence on the team, to the level where it can be called a sacrifice.

I also don't think losing him would be catastrophic but the only negative means more guaranteed seasons of starter Busquets.

Very early still. Let's see Frenkie playing with Pedri and Gavi. We are yet to even see them playing a single minute together. We will have a clearer picture then. Yea, sure, it's clear Frenkie is not a mega player that will transform a midfield on his own, but neither is anyone else in the world.

Probably the hottest, most in-form, midfielder in the world is Rodri at the minute, who everyone was calling a flop 12 months ago.

If we get everyone back to fitness, we can shape the team we want and see where the bottleneck will be in terms of performances. I'm fairly sure that as the team will be refined and the deadwood shipped out, Frenkie will not disappoint.

Last edited:

fergus90

Very early still. Let's see Frenkie playing with Pedri and Gavi. We are yet to even see them playing a single minute together. We will have a clearer picture then. Yea, sure, it's clear Frenkie is not a mega player that will transform a midfield on his own, but neither is anyone else in the world.

Probably the hottest, most in-form, midfielder in the world is Rodri at the minute, who everyone was calling a flop 12 months ago.

If we get everyone back to fitness, we can shape the team we want and see where the bottleneck will be in terms of performances. I'm fairly sure that as the team will be refined and the deadwood shipped out, Frenkie will not disappoint.

I don't really think the midfield needs transforming just think his general influence on the team is not that strong where it would be catastrophic to lose him.

I'd be more than happy to keep him though, as every top team needs depth and options.

serghei

I don't really think the midfield needs transforming just think his general influence on the team is not that strong where it would be catastrophic to lose him.

I'd be more than happy to keep him though, as every top team needs depth and options.

It does IMO. Not just the midfield, but to perform well when you have to connect the likes of Pique, Lenglet, Mingueza, with Jutgla, and kids... impossible.

Put De Jong in a well functioning team and you will get a reliable top performer, even if not a shiny player who scores goals, makes assists or does huge defensive work.

We will see a different De Jong once the squad is sorted out. I'd probably trade De Jong for an elite scorer, but that's about it.

Last edited:

fergus90

It does IMO. Not just the midfield, but to perform well when you have to connect the likes of Pique, Lenglet, Mingueza, with Jutgla, and kids... impossible.

Put De Jong in a well functioning team and you will get a reliable top performer, even if not a shiny player who scores goals, makes assists or does huge defensive work.

We will see a different De Jong once the squad is sorted out. I'd probably trade De Jong for an elite scorer, but that's about it.

Fair enough. I do like De Jong as a player just not convinced his ceiling is that high where I'd consider him untouchable.

Perhaps at another club he might reach those heights but in the 2/3 years I've seen at him at Barca i'm not overly sure he's got that in his locker.

Unless a big offer did arrive for him though, he'd be lowdown on the list of players I'd try to move on first.

serghei

Fair enough. I do like De Jong as a player just not convinced his ceiling is that high where I'd consider him untouchable.

Perhaps at another club he might reach those heights but in the 2/3 years I've seen at him at Barca i'm not overly sure he's got that in his locker.

Unless a big offer did arrive for him though, he'd be lowdown on the list of players I'd try to move on first.

Sure, he's not untouchable, it's just that to sell him you'd have to bring in better value. I exclude the possibility of bringing in a defender on high money, just not worth it (I will assume we can't sign the likes of Trent, Van Dijk, Ruben Dias, Alphonso Davies etc.). So what is left is selling him to bring in an elite striker.

If we are in a position to secure Haaland for example, and can't be done otherwise due to money reasons, I'd sell De Jong in an instant. Except selling players is pretty hard.

khaled_a_d

I also don't think losing him would be catastrophic but the only real negative means more guaranteed seasons of starter Busquets.

Agree.
tbh I don't think it will be tough to replace FDJ if we move on from him

Porque

If it comes to Haaland or Frenkie then its a no brainer. Frenkie hasnt shown enough not to take that option.

I wanted a season and a half to see him Frenkie, Gavi and Pedri develop together. But were not going to get that are we? Xavi wont drop Busquets and Pedri minutes are going to be patchy at best this season after all the injuries and setbacks.

So lets deload Frenkie for Haaland if its the only way to make that deal. But dont be sitting with 36 year old Busquets down the line with no idea of how to replace him other than paying 90m to Man City for Rodri!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans