Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrgandalf

Curious member
In a team sport, it would be very simplistic to evaluate a player as independent of a set. This is the story of the critics from FDJ of the post-Ten Hag ​​era to before Xavi.

Bobo32

In a team sport, it would be very simplistic to evaluate a player as independent of a set. This is the story of the critics from FDJ of the post-Ten Hag ​​era to before Xavi.

I think it is more the story of his proponents. As he seldom fails spectacularly, mostly seem ambitious, runs quite a lot, and often does one or two very nice things per game, he is praised by those who don't even attempt to evaluate him as one part of the team.

I think he has been played in many different systems and been given many different roles in Barcelona, most of the time his qualities have been very visible, but most of the time the team has struggled and they have struggled partly because of lack of midfield control or threat. I love him as a player, but his flaws has also been very visible, and I have often laid blame on Frenkie for the teams lack of control or threat.

Maybe, maybe he will find his place in a great Barcelona, but I believe he might struggle more and more to hold either Gavi or Pedri off the pitch regularly as the team develops, and I think Barcelona might accept a very good offer for him when it arrives. He is improving though, and I truly do love his style/intentions.

Andresito

Staff member
Nice to see. Still wonder how effective he is in a 4-3-3 compared to 4-2-3-1. 70-80%?

Feels like we won't unleash his 75m potential in a 4-3-3.

gregorrin10

Nice to see. Still wonder how effective he is in a 4-3-3 compared to 4-2-3-1. 70-80%?

Feels like we won't unleash his 75m potential in a 4-3-3.

Considering all him, Kessie and Nico might be better in a 4-2-3-1 I'm wondering if that's Xavi's plan going forward, especially for life after Busquets. We certainly have the players and the depth for it. And it takes off all the pressure of finding the perfect Busquets replacement.

Busquets himself being pretty much the only one who could struggle in that formation, but if this allowes Xavi to demote him into a rotational role, even better, and if he didn't play every game anymore, I'm sure he could still do a well enough job there for 1-2 years, which is all he has left anyway, even in a system suited to his strengths, so we need to find a solution for life after him very soon anyway, for his last season or so would be the perfect timing to start implementing it to really get used to it by the time he's gone.

Maybe even change formations to suit him when he still plays, play the sole CDM formation only when he is on. And when he's not, just change to 4-2-3-1 or in our case a 4-3-3 with a CAM, since I'm sure the wingers will stay real wingers, not move back to the left and right CAM role.

Pedri/Gavi could also be unleashed even more as a CAM, since they'd have that extra protection with two players behind them. And even though they didn't play like that yet, I'm sure they're good enough to play as a sole CM/CAM much more than the likes of FDJ, Nico and Kessie can as the sole CDM. They are for sure gonna be much much more comfortable in a two man CDM/CM midfield. While I see Pedri/Gavi maybe become even better with all that space and freedom moving a bit further forward by themselves.

mc_lovin

I don't think Xavi aims for a 4231. And personally I am not a fan of it either. 433 is just more pleasant for dominating possession.

Horatio

You're welcome
Didn't think he was bad. First half low tempo both teams kind of in a standoff. He looked more alive in second half.

Dammie10

I think he was too basic again. He began with that nice dribble but after that mostly side or back passes. I dont understand why he doesn?t try to be more creative on weekly base. Against Real he was but yesterday it was the Frenkie under Koeman this year. Let?s compare it to Pedri. This guy gives long balls, turns away from his marker, dribbles and give through balls every week. He attends to try. Mostly it works but sometimes it doesn?t. If it goes wrong at least you learned to do it different the next time. Frenkie has more in his locker but he?s often very afraid for mistakes. He had the change to give a long pass to Dembele but again was doubting and played back to Busquets. Those situations still happens to often in order to be true world class player. At Holland he was great those 2 games but here it?s still not enough for me

mc_lovin

Thought he was very good again.

Not sure he needs to take more risk either... we create a million chances. It's working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans