Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

He's been poor for a few games now, it's up to him to force his way into his preferred starting position. People saying wah wah he's not playing as a dm well maybe he's not showing enough in training compared to busquets who knows the positioning required of a dm with his eyes closed. He's not been a flop but at the moment he's the odd man out in the midfield. Vidal offers intensity and directness in attack, Busquets offers the calmness to receive the ball off the defenders plus an eye for a pass and Arthur offers keeping hold of the ball and that burst of pace to take the game forward.

Andresito

Staff member
I agree to some extent. But he's been far from a flop. Anyone can see that he is a world class player. He could've had a wonderful assist had Messi finished the 1 on 1.

The problem is his role. I'm not sure Setién himself knows what he wants from his CM's, which puts Frenkie in no mans land as a hybrid LM/CM.

I'm still certain his best position is DM, but with a lack of CM's better than Busquets at the moment, he gets moved to CM. In the long run, it's good to know that the pivot position is well covered. It's a rare case of us having a replacement for one of our veterans before the veteran is fully milked out and with us having to panic buy a replacement.

I'm 120% sure he will be pivotal in the future. This year is him adapting and finding his role. Many, including myself, wondered before the season started whether he'd be a DM or a CM. It's only natural that he's tried out at different positions and it's becoming more and more evident that he's not as comfortable as an attacking CM.

MrBombastic

Fuck you and your hyperbole. Major flop? You’re the keyboard warrior, you delusional mug with an agenda.

Again go suck off Rakitić. He needs it as he’s been shit for a long time.

i think you need to be objective and apply the same criteria
to de Jong like you do to others.
people have to be honest. De Jong has poor passing skills.
He is always hesitating to pass the ball. He does that because his vision outside a range of 5 meter is poor.
You will never see him giving a crossball to create 1vs1 situations on the wings.
The reason why Barcelona moved him from the DM position is because it takes him to long to pass the ball.
Barcelona always play with a quick passer.
Frenkie de Jong has three very good qualities. His dribble, his control and his rotation with the ball.
But after all these actions nothing follows in passing.
Thats the reason he is failing miserable. He has not the quick brain that a Barcelona should have. A barcelona midfield player should have 3 or 4 options in his head and can switch to any option any time if the situation asks for it. That's what a great passer is.
Frenkie de Jong is one dimensional.
he can only move to the ball and ask for the ball. His off the ball movement and positioning in between the lines us poor.
At Ajax Schöne was the passer in dm not de Jong.

BALUGA

Banned
The Busquets scpaegoaters out in full force today lmao

Kinda funny actually that people here looking to other players as an scapegoat for De Jong playing bad. They're trying hard to avoid blaming Setien and De Jong is really not that special without the hype

Hardy

he'll never happen seriously here until Busi get the fuck out of here. Then maybe we overrated him? but still the fact that he shined at Ajax playing in a certain position which is not even remotely comparable to the way we're using him now. It must be traumatic for him the transition from one of the best orchestra we saw in the last years to this atrocious sad dysfunctional team.

Raketa10

We bought ourselves the best DM in the world last year and a generational talent. A half year later we are using him as RM/LM and we are wondering why he isn't performing! Well done Barca, that's the way to go if you want to destroy a player! And all because a 32y old player who is well past his prime has to play every single game. Fucking idiots are in charge for this club not just in the management but also on the bench for some time now.

The funniest thing is how some forum members are expecting him to provide a numerous assists and score a bunch of goals. I suppose that's something Busi has been doing regularly for the last ten seasons? We should definitely buy the best CB out there so we can play him as a RB and than we'll all wonder why the fuck he isn't delivering and we'll also try to compare him to Dani Alves so we can label him as a flop. This is exactly what we are doing right now with De Jong.

Last edited:

Marshall D Teach

Why the fuck are we playing him as a winger? :lol:

He's been poor for a few games now, it's up to him to force his way into his preferred starting position. People saying wah wah he's not playing as a dm well maybe he's not showing enough in training compared to busquets who knows the positioning required of a dm with his eyes closed. He's not been a flop but at the moment he's the odd man out in the midfield. Vidal offers intensity and directness in attack, Busquets offers the calmness to receive the ball off the defenders plus an eye for a pass and Arthur offers keeping hold of the ball and that burst of pace to take the game forward.

Or maybe our coaches don't have the balls to bench veterans like Busquets so they play FDJ out of position instead.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Using players out of their position has became a signature move for Barca during the last couple of season. It all started with Bob playing RB and now that stupidity virus has spread even more. Look how we used Coutinho on the LW, look at Griezmann and De Jong at the moment. All of those 3 players are undoubtedly great but we destroyed one of them and we or the way of destroying the later two.

If you need a LW go and buy a fucking LW and if you need a no.9 go out and buy a no.9! Just for the sake of God stop buying players who are a world class in their position in order to play them in completely different position. It's not just stupid and expensive, it's fucking demoralizing and unfair not to mention you will end up with completely unbalanced team like the one we have right now.

What's even worse people started believing that any world class player has to be able to adapt to any given position and style of play. The truth is very few of them can regardless of the fact how good they are. Just for one moment try to imagine young Busi being forced to play Iniesta role. Would he ended up being one of the best midfielders of his generation?! For sure not! Fortunately he had one of the best managers in the world coaching him at that age and Pep knew how to emphasize strengths of his players.

Last edited:

Rory

I mean yes but also he's not just been meh as a CM which is incredibly close to his favoured position he's actually been quite poor. I really like the player and think he will succeed, doesn't mean everyone has to pretend the only thing holding him back is his position in the team. His poor decision making, pondering on the ball, lack of a good pass, going forward are all things that are down to him and what he needs to work on.

LeeRomeno

Using players out of their position has became a signature move for Barca during the last couple of season. It all started with Bob playing RB and now that stupidity virus has spread even more. Look how we used Coutinho on the LW, look at Griezmann and De Jong at the moment. All of those 3 players are undoubtedly great but we destroyed one of them and we or the way of destroying the later two.

If you need a LW go and buy a fucking LW and if you need a no.9 go out and buy a no.9! Just for the sake of God stop buying players who are a world class in their position in order to play them in completely different position. It's not just stupid and expensive, it's fucking demoralizing and unfair not to mention you will end up with completely unbalanced team like the one we have right now.

What's even worse people started believing that any world class player has to be able to adapt to any given position and style of play. The truth is very few of them can regardless of the fact how good they are. Just for one moment try to imagine young Busi being forced to play Iniesta role. Would he ended up being one of the best midfielders of his generation?! For sure not! Fortunately he had one of the best managers in the world coaching him at that age and Pep knew how to emphasize strengths of his players.

Have to agree with this one. Add Vidal to this as well and playing him as a winger. I think it has something to do with us just having too many midfielders, all being quality players, coaches are trying to get them gametime in positions that are not well manned. It really comes down to poor building from the board. We are way too thin in some areas and overloaded in other areas. If you really look at it, we have 1 natural RB, 2 natural LBs, 3 natural CBs - thats 6 defenders for 4 spots (dont consider Roberto a natural defender) Then we have 6 natural midfielders (7 if you include Puig) for 3 spots and then 3 healthy attackers (4 if we include Fati, but he is still not officially in first team i think?) for 3 spots (if we want to use 4-3-3 formation). Not to mention if you go deeper into positions.

boixos

The number of excuses for Frenkie is very strange. "He plays out of position, he drank tea instead of water, he put wrong hair gel" Bla bla. Why don't I see these excuses for other players? Truth be told, Frenkie has been displaying performances very similar to Andre Gomes in the past few months.
Busquets will not be dropped because he is the best DM on the team, and the only midfielder that can make a pass through the defensive block. I think at the moment Vidal and Busquets should be starters, the 3rd spot should be rotated with the others depending on the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans