Gerard Deulofeu

J

Jamie Cal

No I dont think any traditional touchline winger ever stayed exclusively to the right wing but that is where they play for vast majority of game and their main aim was to get ball down and cross it into the box at every opportunity which is Deulofeus main role at Everton.

Tonight he broke the record for crosses attempted by any player in the past two years.

He shows very little ability to bring others into play in the build up and loses the ball a hell of a lot.

You never debunked anything.

"Dribble forward at full pace and cross ball no matter what." -- Does he not have plenty of assists this season from early balls/stop still movement? The one against West Brom for instance where he's 10-15 yards away from the 18 yard line, and the same in the Sunderland game for Coates OG.

I can remember three side-splitting passes from his own half/half-way line passes that led to Lukaku goals, against Bournemouth, West Ham and Sunderland. Scored one from the middle against Boro where he essentially took the shot early, and against Sunderland he came inside and scored on his left. Barkley's goal vs Arsenal comes from Gerry, inside his own half, playing a lovely pass 30 yards on the ground through a few players.
That's the top off the top of my head. All of that shows no variety other than "Dribble forward at full pace and cross ball no matter what."?

Plus back one page you go from "not that great imo" to kicking up at me over saying he was meh.

In regards to build-up play, isn't the point of Everton's set up to get him in positions to deliver the final ball anyway? That's the biggest benefit of playing one striker, enabling your wingers to stay in exploitive rolls, Everton's have a few in this mold with guys like Lennon, McGeady etc. His role in the build up is to find Lukaku, and he's clearly done that well this season (other than tonight largely). Coleman said recently that he doesn't have to attack as much with Gerry there too.

He obviously has a long way to go, but he has shown instances of tracking back and better usage of the ball this season and for 21 he is developing nicely imo.

Also, where have you seen he broke the crosses record? I haven't seen it anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

"Dribble forward at full pace and cross ball no matter what." -- Does he not have plenty of assists this season from early balls/stop still movement? The one against West Brom for instance where he's 10-15 yards away from the 18 yard line, and the same in the Sunderland game for Coates OG.

I can remember three side-splitting passes from his own half/half-way line passes that led to Lukaku goals, against Bournemouth, West Ham and Sunderland. Scored one from the middle against Boro where he essentially took the shot early, and against Sunderland he came inside and scored on his left. Barkley's goal vs Arsenal comes from Gerry, inside his own half, playing a lovely pass 30 yards on the ground through a few players.
That's the top off the top of my head. All of that shows no variety other than "Dribble forward at full pace and cross ball no matter what."?

Plus back one page you go from "not that great imo" to kicking up at me over saying he was meh.

In regards to build-up play, isn't the point of Everton's set up to get him in positions to deliver the final ball anyway? That's the biggest benefit of playing one striker, enabling your wingers to stay in exploitive rolls, Everton's have a few in this mold with guys like Lennon, McGeady etc. His role in the build up is to find Lukaku, and he's clearly done that well this season (other than tonight largely). Coleman said recently that he doesn't have to attack as much with Gerry there too.

He obviously has a long way to go, but he has shown instances of tracking back and better usage of the ball this season and for 21 he is developing nicely imo.

Also, where have you seen he broke the crosses record? I haven't seen it anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised.

They mentioned the most crosses in two years on sky.

The assist against Sunderland was an early cross from the right, he tried a lot of those tonight and does when defender backs off and doesnt give him space to dribble. Same against Bournemouth delivering the ball early from right.

His build up play is poor thats why he is not involved. His main role is to play from right and get ball in box and too Lukaku as often as possible which nothing at all like he would be asked to so at Barca.

The vast majority of his play comes from crosses or long passes into Lukaku from the right. He tries those almost every time he gets the ball.

I dont see anything this season from him that he has developed a great deal in terms of going back.

J

Jamie Cal

They mentioned the most crosses in two years on sky.

The assist against Sunderland was an early cross from the right, he tried a lot of those tonight and does when defender backs off and doesnt give him space to dribble. Same against Bournemouth delivering the ball early from right.

His build up play is poor thats why he is not involved. His main role is to play from right and get ball in box and too Lukaku as often as possible which nothing at all like he would be asked to so at Barca.

The vast majority of his play comes from crosses or long passes into Lukaku from the right. He tries those almost every time he gets the ball.

I dont see anything this season from him that he has developed a great deal in terms of going back.

But none the less, even if you wanna pin it on the defender backing off, the point being that he's still able to play those early crosses. Or even those ones I pointed at where he's passing from deep, he could'a just as easily put his head down and dribbled on himself. I said recently in this thread that his composure for stuff like that was pretty surprising.

I don't really get why you say "The vast majority of his play comes from crosses or long passes into Lukaku from the right. He tries those almost every time he gets the ball." -- we've cleared that, and I showed plenty of examples where he's done otherwise. Obviously he does it more than anything else because it's his best attribute and it's where his team needs him. (This is going in circles now)

I don't get why you bring up Barca either, that's not what we're discussing. Obviously you throw him at RW in Barca's team and he's not Messi stylistically, and that's not necessarily a bad thing either.

I'm not going digging for clips of him tracking back all night for the sake of this argument, but when Martin Keown highlighted him on MOTD recently, it showed him getting stuck in winning a 50/50 shoulder, and while glossing over some videos of his assists, I did see this @ 1:22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqTyFsi8I4
Nothing major of course, but again, he doesn't have to do a whole ton of it with McCarthy and Coleman, two machines, down that side anyway.

JamDav1982

But none the less, even if you wanna pin it on the defender backing off, the point being that he's still able to play those early crosses. Or even those ones I pointed at where he's passing from deep, he could'a just as easily put his head down and dribbled on himself. I said recently in this thread that his composure for stuff like that was pretty surprising.

I don't really get why you say "The vast majority of his play comes from crosses or long passes into Lukaku from the right. He tries those almost every time he gets the ball." -- we've cleared that, and I showed plenty of examples where he's done otherwise. Obviously he does it more than anything else because it's his best attribute and it's where his team needs him. (This is going in circles now)

I don't get why you bring up Barca either, that's not what we're discussing. Obviously you throw him at RW in Barca's team and he's not Messi stylistically, and that's not necessarily a bad thing either.

I'm not going digging for clips of him tracking back all night for the sake of this argument, but when Martin Keown highlighted him on MOTD recently, it showed him getting stuck in winning a 50/50 shoulder, and while glossing over some videos of his assists, I did see this @ 1:22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqTyFsi8I4
Nothing major of course, but again, he doesn't have to do a whole ton of it with McCarthy and Coleman, two machines, down that side anyway.

You havent cleared anything about Deulofeus role that I have not said.

His main role in the team does not mean that is all he will ever do or that he will never try a simple pass, will never come inside etc but his main job is to get the ball on the right and get it in to Lukaku for most part this is going on outside of defender or hitting him early if defender backs off.....you seem to be admitting that as far as I can see.

You could pick out clips that show just about anything of any player if you wanted to its not that difficult.

I was the one who brought up his game still not suiting Barca and you responded to me. I can say that if I like about a player who many want to see come back.

Anyone can play those early crosses. His crossing was crap tonight and two of 17/18 found an Everton man.

J

Jamie Cal

You havent cleared anything about Deulofeus role that I have not said.

His main role in the team does not mean that is all he will ever do or that he will never try a simple pass, will never come inside etc but his main job is to get the ball on the right and get it in to Lukaku for most part this is going on outside of defender or hitting him early if defender backs off.....you seem to be admitting that as far as I can see.

You could pick out clips that show just about anything of any player if you wanted to its not that difficult.

I was the one who brought up his game still not suiting Barca and you responded to me. I can say that if I like about a player who many want to see come back.

Anyone can play those early crosses. His crossing was crap tonight and two of 17/18 found an Everton man.

"you seem to be admitting that" -- Man, why the fuck would I not be admitting that, are you even reading my comments? I've highlighted his strengths every time. There is nothing to clear and everything you say comes with some implied negative connotation where there isn't really much.

"you could pick out clips of anything" -- err, the point of showing them is that he HAS been doing them REGULARLY. All the goals and assists and everything else is from this half of the season. Again, 3 side-splitting passes from his own half where he could of just as easily went dribbling. All top quality assists.

"I was the one who brought up his game still not suiting Barca and you responded to me." -- you said it's "nothing like he would be asked to do at Barca", but so what? Where is the criticism in that? Is this under the assumption that he has to play exactly like Messi?

"His crossing was crap tonight and two of 17/18 found an Everton man." -- Man...how many times do I have to say he wasn't at it tonight? Is this the only game you've seen him or something? I'd imagine he has assisted Lukaku more this season than any other player has assisted one player.

"Anyone can play those early crosses." -- You go from highlighting what he's best at ("get the ball on the right and give it to Lukaku") and then say anyone can do it. Then why isn't everyone/anyone doing it. Why do Everton play McGeady, Naismith, Lennon, Kone, Pienaar, Osman etc instead of him? Are the goals all Lukaku then? It's got to point now where you're just shitting on him for nothing and glossing over anything positive.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

"you seem to be admitting that" -- Man, why the fuck would I not be admitting that, are you even reading my comments? I've highlighted his strengths every time. There is nothing to clear and everything you say comes with some implied negative connotation where there isn't really much.

"you could pick out clips of anything" -- err, the point of showing them is that he HAS been doing them REGULARLY. All the goals and assists and everything else is from this half of the season. Again, 3 side-splitting passes from his own half where he could of just as easily went dribbling. All top quality assists.

"I was the one who brought up his game still not suiting Barca and you responded to me." -- you said it's "nothing like he would be asked to do at Barca", but so what? Where is the criticism in that? Is this under the assumption that he has to play exactly like Messi?

"His crossing was crap tonight and two of 17/18 found an Everton man." -- Man...how many times do I have to say he wasn't at it tonight?

"Anyone can play those early crosses." -- You go from highlighting what he's best at ("get the ball on the right and give it to Lukaku") and then say anyone can do it. Then why isn't everyone/anyone doing it. Why do Everton play McGeady, Naismith, Lennon, Kone, Pienaar, Osman etc instead of him? Are the goals all Lukaku then? It's got to point now where you're just shitting on him for nothing and glossing over anything positive.

He has made one 'side splitting pass' and that was against West Ham. The others have been early deliveries from the right as I said he does so often.

Do you get you have been trying to debunk comments that were about tonights game?

I can mention how I think Deulofeus approach still doesnt suit Barca if I want. I said that in response to no one or as any part of any conversation just an observsation based in my opinion on people thinking he could come back. You waded into the conversation from there.

I am not basing anything on him 'being asked to play like Messi' but what I believe Lucho wants from his players and the type of roles wide players at Barca have being getting asked to play for years.

Deulofeus role this season has been for the largest part going on the outside of the RW. Getting in as many balls into the box as possible and IN MY OPINION that would not lend itself to him being a success at Barca.

J

Jamie Cal

He has made one 'side splitting pass' and that was against West Ham. The others have been early deliveries from the right as I said he does so often.

Do you get you have been trying to debunk comments that were about tonights game?

I can mention how I think Deulofeus approach still doesnt suit Barca if I want. I said that in response to no one or as any part of any conversation just an observsation based in my opinion on people thinking he could come back. You waded into the conversation from there.

I am not basing anything on him 'being asked to play like Messi' but what I believe Lucho wants from his players and the type of roles wide players at Barca have being getting asked to play for years.

Deulofeus role this season has been for the largest part going on the outside of the RW. Getting in as many balls into the box as possible and IN MY OPINION that would not lend itself to him being a success at Barca.

"The others have been early deliveries from the right as I said he does so often." -- I gotta disagree, especially the Sunderland one, those are really neat through balls.

"Do you get you have been trying to debunk comments that were about tonights game?" -- no, we're talking about Gerry as a whole, hence why I've said "this season" about 1000 times, and pointed to all the things he's done this season (ARE YOU REALLY MAKING ME POINT THIS OUT AGAIN). You're trying to bog it down to one game all night to further whatever notion you've decided to run with. Never once did I dispute he wasn't good today. Every player has bad games fyi.

"I said that in response to no one or as any part of any conversation....You waded into the conversation from there...." Nah, m8. I asked why you brought up Barca because you responded TO ME, "like he would be asked to so at Barca." -- I don't know how you've decided "waded in" about Barca, go look at my first comment to you. You didn't mention Barca there or me, so......?

If you wanna get into a discussion about him being suited to Barca, then that's a whole other thing. I can't be fucked with that argument for now, but Barca have had a long line of wingers pre-Lucho, and you don't know what the team could look like in a few years. There's pros and cons. Anyway, that conversations for another day.

Again you gloss over most of my comment, where's the rebuttal to that utter tripe about "anyone can play those balls"? Or glossing over that he's delivering what Everton ask of him.

(Is there any point in continuing this?)

JamDav1982

Ok you say I went from saying he was 'not that great' to disagreeing with you he was 'meh'.

I said he was 'not playing great' barely 35 mins into the game. Do you expect me to declare it a poor 90 mins at that point? I disagreed with him being 'meh' after the game had finished and could comment on his full performance.

You get hung up on my comment about him being one dimensional and dribbling forward and crossing at every opportunity. A comment made at half time in this game about this game yet you try and 'debunk' that by bringing in isolated incidents across the past few months.

You cant keep repeating a comment about this game I made and then say it was about 'this season' as you decide it to be.

For what it was worth I was correct in saying that at HT as the stats show.

Then you scold me for bringing my opinion on what he would bring to Barca 'into the discussion'. Which is a fairly common thing discussed about him in this thread.

Yet you accuse me of not reading what you are saying?

Where have I ever said he is doing something Everton have not asked them to? Of course Martinez wants him to feed Lukaku as often as possible from the right. He knows both players strengths.

Last edited:

raki

Sextuple ‏@BarcaStat 4 hHá 4 horas

Most ASSISTS this season (players from top5 lgs, club+country, senior)
Mkhitaryan 15
Ozil 13
De Bruyne 13
Douglas 11
DEULOFEU 10
Raffael 10

J

Jamie Cal

Ok you say I went from saying he was 'not that great' to disagreeing with you he was 'meh'.

I said he was 'not playing great' barely 35 mins into the game. Do you expect me to declare it a poor 90 mins at that point? I disagreed with him being 'meh' after the game had finished and could comment on his full performance.

You get hung up on my comment about him being one dimensional and dribbling forward and crossing at every opportunity. A comment made at half time in this game about this game yet you try and 'debunk' that by bringing in isolated incidents across the past few months.

You cant keep repeating a comment about this game I made and then say it was about 'this season' as you decide it to be.

For what it was worth I was correct in saying that at HT as the stats show.

Then you scold me for bringing my opinion on what he would bring to Barca 'into the discussion'. Which is a fairly common thing discussed about him in this thread.

Yet you accuse me of not reading what you are saying?

Where have I ever said he is doing something Everton have not asked them to? Of course Martinez wants him to feed Lukaku as often as possible from the right. He knows both players strengths.

"You cant keep repeating a comment about this game I made and then say it was about 'this season' as you decide it to be." -- because. we. are. talking. about. Deulofeu. and. his. development. That's what the discussion has been centered on this whole time. Why wouldn't I talk about the season when we've been talking about his strengths and weaknesses all night. You started talking about somethings he does wrong, I disagreed, so why wouldn't I show reference how he's done?

" I disagreed with him being 'meh' after the game had finished and could comment on his full performance." you dare talk about scolding, but again, is being meh really a million miles away from being bad for you? If up to half time some people thought he was great, then is it really that big a deal to say he's been meh? And you jumped at the chance of correcting the assist when someone said he "made the goal", which he did.

"For what it was worth I was correct in saying that at HT as the stats show." -- worth nothing, because I agreed with you (largely at least), and didn't dispute.

"Then you scold me for bringing my opinion on what he would bring to Barca 'into the discussion'." -- and AGAIN, you gloss over me proving you wrong about how you said you brought up Barca and I "waded in". Total crap. I didn't scold you about bringing Barca up, I simply asked why you did, because I was talking about what Gerry has done this season.

"Where have I ever said he is doing something Everton have not asked them to?" -- you literally referred to him as one-dimensional when he's fulfilling the role he's meant to in the team that Everton have set up. I posted a video of him tracking back and you said it wasn't proof that he does.

And again, what about "anyone can play those crosses"? What about those players I listed above? Are they all those goals thanks to Lukaku alone?

JamDav1982

"You cant keep repeating a comment about this game I made and then say it was about 'this season' as you decide it to be." -- because. we. are. talking. about. Deulofeu. and. his. development. That's what the discussion has been centered on this whole time. Why wouldn't I talk about the season when we've been talking about his strengths and weaknesses all night. You started talking about somethings he does wrong, I disagreed, so why wouldn't I show reference how he's done?

" I disagreed with him being 'meh' after the game had finished and could comment on his full performance." you dare talk about scolding, but again, is being meh really a million miles away from being bad for you? If up to half time some people thought he was great, then is it really that big a deal to say he's been meh? And you jumped at the chance of correcting the assist when someone said he "made the goal", which he did.

"For what it was worth I was correct in saying that at HT as the stats show." -- worth nothing, because I agreed with you (largely at least), and didn't dispute.

"Then you scold me for bringing my opinion on what he would bring to Barca 'into the discussion'." -- and AGAIN, you gloss over me proving you wrong about how you said you brought up Barca and I "waded in". Total crap. I didn't scold you about bringing Barca up, I simply asked why you did, because I was talking about what Gerry has done this season.

"Where have I ever said he is doing something Everton have not asked them to?" -- you literally referred to him as one-dimensional when he's fulfilling the role he's meant to in the team that Everton have set up. I posted a video of him tracking back and you said it wasn't proof that he does.

And again, what about "anyone can play those crosses"? What about those players I listed above? Are they all those goals thanks to Lukaku alone?

You are all over the place again.

1. The parts you keep quoting about me saying he kept running and crossing the ball was about the Palace game before you entered the conversation. I can easily post those comments in full again if you don't want to read be back.

2. Again you are speaking rubbish about me bringing into conversation with you about Deul at Barca about his performances this season.I had brought that up before hand and it is hugely relative when looking at his performances.

3. I can call him one dimensional all I like and I am sorry but him doing the job he is asked does not disprove that in any way. It just proves Martinez knows his strengths/limitations.

4. To how he has been playing all season his main role has by far been to get ball in to Lukaku as early as possible. Maybe not as severe as tonight's game but that is what he tries to do almost every time he has the ball out wide and Everton building up play.

You need to stick to what has actually been said and take your time.

Last edited:

jamrock

Worst game he has played recently, still help with ythe winner though, that's the type of player is and will continue to be for another season or two, a player with moments, that can change a game, the rest is coming and will get better in time, these are the best type of game for his development, if he is smart, he will rewatch this game and learn from it.

Home of Barca Fans