Gerard Piqué

mc_lovin

What I mean is you can't ignore Pique's obvious weakness 1 on 1.

He had like 10 seasons in top, top football until he slowed down - and he's still our best defender.

Heck, he was phenomenal against Ronaldinho and Messi when he was 18... and pretty much spoiled Barcelona a league title in the process.

jamrock

Buddy, you are taking the phrase "system player" way too badly.

It's not even that bad. Nothing wrong with it.

Chill. 😂

What I mean is you can't ignore Pique's obvious weakness 1 on 1.

Who are the one who brought up system player without clearly thinking it through my guy.

Also what one & one weakness? How many attackers made him look like a fool in his prime, compared to any of his contemporaries?.

Temptation

Nonsense.

You made it too easy to expose your wee troll attempt based on stupidity.

Job done. Im oot.

It's not a competition. There's no prize. 😂

Your insecurity is so obvious. I'm not trying to win.

I'm just having a civilized discussion and putting my case forward.

If I start actually trolling you, you'll start crying. So calm down. I'm not looking for a fight.

Temptation

He had like 10 seasons in top, top football until he slowed down - and he's still our best defender.

Heck, he was phenomenal against Ronaldinho and Messi when he was 18... and pretty much spoiled Barcelona a league title in the process.

He's definitely a top player no doubt.

But don't you in comparison to the very elite CBs his pure defending abilities fall short?
Ofc He's terrific on the ball.

mc_lovin

It's not a competition. There's no prize. ��

Your insecurity is so obvious. I'm not trying to win.

I'm just having a civilized discussion and putting my case forward.

If I start actually trolling you, you'll start crying. So calm down. I'm not looking for a fight.

Make a case for Virgil :p How many great attackers has he faced?

City with their million AM's in attack? Past it Ronaldo? Chelsea's dross? Genuine question, I can't recall. The one of two times against Messi didn't turn out so well.

Pique at least handled prime Ronaldo.

Temptation

City with their million AM's in attack? Past it Ronaldo? Chelsea's dross? Genuine question, I can't recall. The one of two times against Messi didn't turn out so well.

Aguero, Kane, Mbappe, Messi, Suarez, Lewandowski, Son, Traore(great dribbler), etc.

VVD stops players like Adama and Mbappe 1 on 1 when they have space to run into. He went a year without being dribbled past.

He's playing in an era where Prem is easily the Best league in the world.

And he bosses most games in the league and CL.

Fun fact: VVD has still never lost a league game at home. 70 odd games played.

Instantly transformed a top 4 side into PL title contenders and CL winners.

Name a defender who has had a bigger impact on their team.

It's the easiest to make a case for Virgil.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Aguero, Kane, Mbappe, Messi, Suarez, Lewandowski, Son, Traore(great dribbler), etc.

He looked like an amateur against Messi, but I wouldn't hold that against him. The build-up to the game was funny though (how he was never dribbled past once etc pp). Otherwise pretty tame list and clutching at straws. Especially regarding pacy, Balon d' Or type of players. Not really his fault, but Pique has the better vita against truly great players (and not the likes of Kane or Adama :lol:).

PL is the best League, but the only worldclass forwards play for Liverpool. Or Tottenham if we count Kane, which immediately discounts him :S

Edit: He faced Mbappe twice? Lost one, drawn one, but can't recall the games.

Last edited:

Temptation

He looked like an amateur against Messi, but I wouldn't hold that against him. The build-up to the game was funny though (how he was never dribbled past once etc pp). Otherwise pretty tame list and clutching at straws. Especially regarding pacy, Balon d' Or type of players. Not really his fault, but Pique has the better vita against truly great players (and not the likes of Kane or Adama :lol:).

PL is the best League, but the only worldclass forwards play for Liverpool. Or Tottenham if we count Kane, which immediately discounts him :S

Edit: He faced Mbappe twice? Lost one, drawn one, but can't recall the games.

My list is better than you just merely naming Ronaldo who Infact has famously put Pique on his arse multiple times for club and country. 😂😂😂

Umtiti handled Ronaldo better than Pique ffs.

mc_lovin

My list is better than you just merely naming Ronaldo who Infact has famously put Pique on his arse multiple times for club and country. ������

Umtiti handled Ronaldo better than Pique ffs.

I mean he played Ronaldo a million times and looked great in 90% of the games :S Law of averages and shit :p

Pique only looked bad when we had our period with zero verticality upfront and teams pressed our midfield to death. But I think most defenders would look bad in that situation+being past his prime.

I don't mind Virgil though... it's just good fun.

ajnotkeith

Ronaldo smoked Pique plenty of times.

ajnotkeith

Again, law of averages. Too lazy to check the last ~30 Clasicos, but surely you will only find a handful of games where Pique got smoked (especially pre 2018/2019 or whenever).

Don't like these discussions because it's hard to attribute what is down to Pique or Ronaldo and what isn't considering the 20 other players on the pitch. Was it Ronaldo's fault he didn't do anything or did he get no service, were Pique's teammates not covering him, etc.

So I think it makes more sense to look at their records over whole seasons in general, and there are many great attackers in PL that Virgil faced too.

Home of Barca Fans