Gerard Piqué

karthik

Presumably Pep's not bringing in a new defender because of Andreau Fontas? It possibly might be a must perform season for the lad since his contract runs down by 2012 doesnt it?

adil_909

and honestly estranged who the fuck cares about signing a defender for the supercopa mate? we want a defender for the rest of the year...or did the fact that pique could get injured in i don't know, september, or october, or april truly never cross your mind? the defense is paper thin, and we are spending 45m on cesc. fine if we can shell out 45m for cesc then we better shell out some money to buy a replacement CB as well or else we are going to pay for it down the road.

karthik

Well Pep does makes his mistakes, pretty expensive ones already. But that doesnt mean that he wouldnt have corrected himself from the past. He has done his homework for the summer and he knows what he wants more than many of us. He is the God Father of this team and if he believes this defence would cope up for the toughest season of his, so be it. If not we always have the winter window post which the business end of the season arrives

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Well Pep does makes his mistakes, pretty expensive ones already. But that doesnt mean that he wouldnt have corrected himself from the past. He has done his homework for the summer and he knows what he wants more than many of us. He is the God Father of this team and if he believes this defence would cope up for the toughest season of his, so be it. If not we always have the winter window post which the business end of the season arrives
He did ask to sign a defender... Remember the first thing we tried to sign this summer is a defender, Rosell fucking it all up is all together a different matter though

adil_909

i should hope he knows what he wants more than us. but the point is that if all arguments boil down to "well pep said so so it must be" then what's the point of discussing anything? let's just shut this forum down between may and september and only discuss day to day events and not discuss anything speculative. pep thinks that we don't need a defender, i along with several other people here disagree. of course us disagreeing doesn't mean that all of a sudden barca is going to buy someone but i would hope that people can come up with better arguements than "oh we don't need a defender,and that's the bottom line, because pep guardiola said so!". what has he become pep 3:16 or something?

Last edited:
E

estranged

is pep God??
Yes.
is criticizing him tantamount to blasphemy punishable by death?
Yes.
i have said all along, number 1 priority is a defender because our defense is thin, busquets sucks ass at CB, and puyol and abidal are getting older. we have no cover for pique. if we want to get fifa 12 superstars like cesc and sanchez then well and good, but first fix the defense then we can waste money we don't have on other flashy players.

Since when are Cesc and Alexis "fifa 12 superstars", honestly, did you even know about Sanchez 6 months ago? We had less depth in attack than defense hence the Sanchez signing. Cesc is somewhat of a luxury but at the end of the day he is class and depth is always needed, especially when you see how many players Real have at their disposal in every department.

Regarding signing a defender. Abidal and Puyol may be old but they have at least 2 more season in them, defenders can usually play till very late and not lose their qualities. At CB we have Pique, Puyol and Mascherano who did very well when he was played there. Abidal can also be moved to CB when needed, so that is 4 center backs we can have. Adriano just keeps getting better so he will suffice at LB. Rest assured that Pep will never play Busquets again in a competitive match. I think we are covered well defensively for the coming season. Adriano, Abidal, Mascherano, Pique, Puyol and Dani.

Sorry if i was rude. I sometime get the feeling that people just do not realise what a fucking god Pep is and at times people take him for granted. Anyways I think we have enough cover defensively for this season.

Last edited:
E

estranged

Touche. Pep has made mistakes but the great thing about him is that he ALWAYS learns from his mistakes. His biggest mistake was away at Inter last year, he was faced with a similar but tougher task this year at the Bernabeu and he passed with flying colours. The Ibra signing was as much Ibras fault as Pep's. I love seeing Barcelona improve every season under him.

adil_909

Yes.

Yes.

Since when are Cesc and Alexis "fifa 12 superstars", honestly, did you even know about Sanchez 6 months ago? We had less depth in attack than defense hence the Sanchez signing. Cesc is somewhat of a luxury but at the end of the day he is class and depth is always needed, especially when you see how many players Real have at their disposal in every department.

Regarding signing a defender. Abidal and Puyol may be old but they have at least 2 more season in them, defenders can usually play till very late and not lose their qualities. At CB we have Pique, Puyol and Mascherano who did very well when he was played there. Abidal can also be moved to CB when needed, so that is 4 center backs we can have. Adriano just keeps getting better so he will suffice at LB. Rest assured that Pep will never play Busquets again in a competitive match. I think we are covered well defensively for the coming season. Adriano, Abidal, Mascherano, Pique, Puyol and Dani.

Sorry if i was rude. I sometime get the feeling that people just do not realise what a fucking god Pep is and at times people take him for granted. Anyways I think we have enough cover defensively for this season.

fair enough mate good post. let's see what happens. still thing we are light on the defense side because i love puyol but i'm not sure how many games he's going to play this season. i don't rate busquets at all in CB. which leaves us with mash abi and pique which is fine, but if pique gets injured we're going to be in troube.

karthik

He did ask to sign a defender... Remember the first thing we tried to sign this summer is a defender, Rosell fucking it all up is all together a different matter though

I might have missed that one mate because I have always remembered him stating Fontas is more than ready to play with the team. I dont remember any concrete defensive option that we had been chasing too, did we?

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
@karthik

We tried to sign Jose Angel from Sporting Gijon...we went pretty close too.
The idea is to have a good cover at LB position, who won't have much problem if he's not occasionally named in the final 18. That way Abi can only play in the centre...

karthik

@karthik

We tried to sign Jose Angel from Sporting Gijon...we went pretty close too.
The idea is to have a good cover at LB position, who won't have much problem if he's not occasionally named in the final 18. That way Abi can only play in the centre...

Yep, now I remember how close we actually were and Angel being a personal choice of Pep? But anyways lets hope and wait because Maxwell can play that second or third fiddle role without much fuss, wouldnt he?

Yes a CB can be a top priority considering the age and the physical condition of both Carles and Eric, but I feel Pep's going to use Fontas this season, quite a lot and thats why he is making voices only about Cesc.

adil_909

Yes a CB can be a top priority considering the age and the physical condition of both Carles and Eric, but I feel Pep's going to use Fontas this season, quite a lot and thats why he is making voices only about Cesc.

kind of sucks for thiago don't u think? thiago outshines everyone in preseason, guides his national team to the under 21 world cup, has the whole world signing his praises, and he gets rewarded by.....having to compete with fabregas.

fontas doesn't go to the world cup, hasn't really impressed in preseason, but he gets to be youth team CB cover for the best team on the planet.

if i was thiago, i'd be pretty pissed!

E

estranged

I don't think Fontas is good enough to be a reliable long term CB for us. I hope I'm wrong though, but I haven't really seen anything particularly promising from him.

And no, Thiago is not pissed so neither should you. He will be given as much playing time as Cesc, who starts more often from then on will simply be a case of who performs better.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Yep, now I remember how close we actually were and Angel being a personal choice of Pep? But anyways lets hope and wait because Maxwell can play that second or third fiddle role without much fuss, wouldnt he?

I don't know man...considering Maxwell's agent is Mino irritating Raiola, and that he already did spit some shit when he found Maxi was not named for the 18 men squad in CL final, I won't bother to have him around anymore.

I like Maxi, I really do. But I think he's not good enough anymore and it's not worth it to have him around. Not every veteran is uncle Sylvinho!!

Home of Barca Fans