Gerard Piqué

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Unlike several posters who have been quick to deem his performance a good one, I found it only fair...There was a return of focus but his touch and decision making was still lacking...I don't think I saw him consistently connect on long balls and was lucky not to escape a booking for the shirt tug on Alba...nevermind his awareness of Piatti on the goal (Where blame goes around for Montoya, Valdes & Geri, IMHO)

The important thing, for me, is that he seemed to be showing the right attitude out there...He's still missing those aspects to his game that has previously been a boost for the team, whether it's venturing forward ala Piquenbauer or simply spraying those long balls from the back ala Marquez...Most importantly, he has to own his area in the center of defense ala Puyol...He's a defender, first & foremost...and like with Abidal, I hope to see offensive players dread seeing Pique marking them

M

mitkoa7x

Unlike several posters who have been quick to deem his performance a good one, I found it only fair...There was a return of focus but his touch and decision making was still lacking...I don't think I saw him consistently connect on long balls and was lucky not to escape a booking for the shirt tug on Alba...nevermind his awareness of Piatti on the goal (Where blame goes around for Montoya, Valdes & Geri, IMHO)

The important thing, for me, is that he seemed to be showing the right attitude out there...He's still missing those aspects to his game that has previously been a boost for the team, whether it's venturing forward ala Piquenbauer or simply spraying those long balls from the back ala Marquez...Most importantly, he has to own his area in the center of defense ala Puyol...He's a defender, first & foremost...and like with Abidal, I hope to see offensive players dread seeing Pique marking them

Victors aren't judged, dont be picky. He showed good improvement, we should praise him for that. His attitude changed since the trip to Germany, Pep stepped on his neck and now he is taking the game more seriously. We can only hope that he will get to his best and remain there, until then we cant bash him for every setback.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Victors aren't judged, dont be picky. He showed good improvement, we should praise him for that. His attitude changed since the trip to Germany, Pep stepped on his neck and now he is taking the game more seriously. We can only hope that he will get to his best and remain there, until then we cant bash him for every setback.

I try to stay honest in my observations and you'd appreciate the difference with Pique if he was playing at his previous level - he'd add a lot to this team if his form was better...You see what a difference Puyol makes?...When the pair are on, it's a different team

M

mitkoa7x

There is no doubt that Puyi delivers a well needed kick in the pants for Pique. However Geri was great in most games when paired with Mascherano. I think he has been improving individually for a while before the mini crisis that the team underwent, that made the fans on the forum turn against him. In all the clasicos he was a BEAST, Puyol did outshine him in all of them but thats normal, considering the experience he has. Pique will be back at top form in no time, no need for "sell" posts.

M

mitkoa7x

Criticism doesn't have to equate to a call for a sale

If you read the last few pages, you'll know what i mean. Dont get me wrong criticism is always welcome, especially as well constructed as yours.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
If you read the last few pages, you'll know what i mean. Dont get me wrong criticism is always welcome, especially as well constructed as yours.

No, I know it wasn't directed at me...I just meant it's ok to make come constructive criticisms...I get annoyed when Leo doesn't pass the ball to an open man in scoring position sometimes as well

M

mitkoa7x

No, I know it wasn't directed at me...I just meant it's ok to make come constructive criticisms...I get annoyed when Leo doesn't pass the ball to an open man in scoring position sometimes as well

On Sunday a was yelling at the tv "Just pass it FFS" more often that i would like to admit :(

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I'd be willing to take him for Milan if you want to turn on him so fast. You can even have Silva in exchange.

it's pathetic, isn't it?

some of these kids are so fucking spoiled. glad the Camp Nou faithful aren't this fickle (though they're not exactly paragons of loyalty either).

Sergio

Sergison
it's pathetic, isn't it?

some of these kids are so fucking spoiled. glad the Camp Nou faithful aren't this fickle (though they're not exactly paragons of loyalty either).
Yeah I have to say match attending Barca fans look after their own, especially if they are Catalan. Pique is untouchable for transfer (sadly for me) maybe thats the reason for the slip in his standards?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Every player has some sort of bad patch. Pique has had 3 immense years from 08-11 so you should give him some slack.

Form is temporary and class is permanent.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Yeah I have to say match attending Barca fans look after their own, especially if they are Catalan. Pique is untouchable for transfer (sadly for me) maybe thats the reason for the slip in his standards?

nah Piqué is always a little bit erratic in the first half of the season, it's par for the course when you consider the style of defender he is and the age he is - only experience will allow him to develop a consistency of performance for the whole season. but he comes good in the run-in and always has. THE THING IS: injury has made him even more wobbly this season, as he's struggled to put a series of games together. and yeah he had a stinker in Pamplona, but shit happens.

the thing you can always expect from him is that in the big games, in the clutch moments, he will turn up. without doubt.

we lost the tie so it gets overlooked but that goal is spectacular.

I mean for fucks sake!!

Sergio

Sergison
You are preaching to the choir, you know I regard him highly and put this down to a dip in form and concentration only. That said, and you will be able to correct me if am wrong, but I seem to recall when he last wavered a bit, Pep took him aside for one of those meals, and gently put him in his place and got him back on course. Maybe thats all it needs.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
You are preaching to the choir, you know I regard him highly and put this down to a dip in form and concentration only. That said, and you will be able to correct me if am wrong, but I seem to recall when he last wavered a bit, Pep took him aside for one of those meals, and gently put him in his place and got him back on course. Maybe thats all it needs.

yeah I think that was 08/09. he didn't waver much in 09/10 but he did last season and I remember Pep saying something about how he might leave at the end of the season because after 3 years sometimes the players get fed up of you... everyone panicked and assumed Pep wanted to go but I always thought it seemed like a message to the players. and of course Piqué's form improved massively after Pep said that. :lol:

this season I think he's had his arm 'round the shoulder when Pep defended him after the Leverkusen game. we should see his form pick up again now.

Home of Barca Fans