Gerard Piqué

Cule4life

The Culest
I feel most defenders nowadays are sort of poor in this aspect. The one exception that I know of being Pepe.
Baresi, Maldini and Nesta were the best at 1 on 1 tackling.
But i sort of disagree with you on this. Ramos is also good at it against everyone except Messi. But even Maldini would have problems against Messi. Chiellini is also good.

I'm not saying he should be able to cut out every dribble of Ronaldo. But at least deal he should be able to deal with attackers of weaker teams confidently.

X

xaviniesta

i'm not sure about the other two but maldini was know as a defender who rarely tackled. what he did was he channel the attacker until mistake. he read the game so well. in the end the result was still that his team got the ball, but i wouldn't say he did 'tackle' as you mentioned.

Fishdoll

Bakalao
Baresi and Nesta are the only two defenders I ever saw play that could come close to Maldini (I think Baresi was possibly a bit better). They were all excellent readers of the game and so did not often have to tackle - though sometimes when they did it was pretty spectacular.

Cule4life

The Culest
Baresi and Nesta are the only two defenders I ever saw play that could come close to Maldini (I think Baresi was possibly a bit better). They were all excellent readers of the game and so did not often have to tackle - though sometimes when they did it was pretty spectacular.

Im not saying they tackled all the time. But when they had to they did it with aplomb
Maybe Pique's height is a problem. Tall people have difficulty in sliding fast due to their high center of gravity. I have seen Pique tackling well but he is usually late in his challenges and the attacker sneaks the ball away before his challenge

Fishdoll

Bakalao
Well, Pique is 6cm taller than Maldini but surely that can't be THAT much of a decider in the slides. There's a (only partly joking) theory that the slide tackling thing is genetic for the Maldinis based on what his 5 yr old did to Seedorf a few years ago.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
d7979c293ae301dbfcd800a6244d8941.gif
epileptic seizures in 3, 2, 1...

pawanme10

But i sort of disagree with you on this. Ramos is also good at it against everyone except Messi. But even Maldini would have problems against Messi. Chiellini is also good.

I'm not saying he should be able to cut out every dribble of Ronaldo. But at least deal he should be able to deal with attackers of weaker teams confidently.

Have you ever seen Ramos vs Ronaldinho? :D

Home of Barca Fans