Gerard Piqué

Galning

At the moment there is no defender in the world in a better form than Piqué. Don't see how he isn't world class.

CatalinR10

Still not world class.

2d9qxbt.gif

big_man

We shouldn't exaggerate (MONSTER, PiquenBauer)... He's better mainly because of team's work (the overall pressing and defending) but I agree about the fact that he feels more confident this season. Still not world class.

Dude, the system is the MOST important thing in defensive setup. Do you think Miranda is a better defender than Pique? Do you think Boateng is? These players looked a lot better than Pique last season. They probably was better individually, but the system exacerbated that effect considerably.

I said at the start of the season that our defensive woes last season were more systemic as opposed to individualistic. Five months later that opinion has been validated (so far) as we have improved considerably in that regard with THE SAME PLAYERS.

I dare you to find a better defensive performance over the past 2 years than the one at the Calderon this season, with which two players? Masch and Pique. The same two players that featured in the best ever defensive performance over a season in the history of this club in 2010/2011. That should tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
At the moment there is no defender in the world in a better form than Piqué. Don't see how he isn't world class.

This is so far out of step with reality and so idealized by a couple of decent matches it probably doesn't merit a quotation. Pique is definitely picking it up, but he is far from what he was when the monicker 'Piquenbauer' applied in 2009-10.

Antimadridista1

The fact that there is not much defenders who are not at the top of their form at the moment , doesn't make Pique world class.
Thiago Silva, Koscielny and Kompany are still in much better form than him.

We'll see against Manchester City if he really is world class, and as I said before, I don't think he is.

jamrock

as myself and a few other sensible posters had been pointing out when he was off form, defenders dont defend is isolation and as such he suffer because the team was suffering from having a poor defensive shape, and no other defender in the world would have done much better than him under those circumstances.

now that we have regain so defensive shape, his form as clearly returned, that being said he is not quite at the PiquenBauer levels yet. PiquenBauer puts all other defenders to shame with the ease and sexiness in which he defended. the sexiness defender since marquez formed tank(oh the days of pique and marquez, awesomesss mixed with a few brain farts, i loved it). right now he still puts more effort in his defending to resolve a situatuion than he did those days, but he is excellent right now. no denying that.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
as myself and a few other sensible posters had been pointing out when he was off form, defenders dont defend is isolation and as such he suffer because the team was suffering from having a poor defensive shape, and no other defender in the world would have done much better than him under those circumstances.

now that we have regain so defensive shape, his form as clearly returned, that being said he is not quite at the PiquenBauer levels yet. PiquenBauer puts all other defenders to shame with the ease and sexiness in which he defended. the sexiness defender since marquez formed tank(oh the days of pique and marquez, awesomesss mixed with a few brain farts, i loved it). right now he still puts more effort in his defending to resolve a situatuion than he did those days, but he is excellent right now. no denying that.
+1 completely agree

Home of Barca Fans