Gerard Piqué

L

linetty

Armband should be worn by those who are most respected in the team. Busquets was picked by the squad as one of the captains. But you know better?

If anything, that picture proves my point that you can be a leader without wearing the armband...it probably also doesn't tell the whole story as photos usually do and are used for manipulation.

DrPepper

He's been so good recently.

It's a shame he doesn't have a consistent world class CB partner. We really need a proper centre back alongside him that can play well in big matches. Atm we have none, unfortunately.

___

Iniesta and Messi don't strike me as leader types on the pitch but who knows how influential they are in the dressing room? If they are respected by everyone in the team I don't see why they shouldn't be captains.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Armband should be worn by those who are most respected in the team. Busquets was picked by the squad as one of the captains. But you know better?

If anything, that picture proves my point that you can be a leader without wearing the armband...it probably also doesn't tell the whole story as photos usually do and are used for manipulation.

Agreed. The players vote for captain and vice captains IIRC, so we should respect their choices.

Also, Gerard Piqué has scored as many goals (3) this calendar year, as Gareth Bale.

KhaledBarca

It should be worn by the leader in a team, not a starplayer or homegrown type unless he has leadership qualities like Puyol. I don't see why a player deserves it or how that would factor in, its important what is best for the team.
Mascherano should be Argentina captain as well.

This picture proves my point entirely why the most suitable people for a job should have it:

images

What is the point of the armband if you don't give it to the most suitable player? just symbolics then, might as well play without.

you sound like a Messi hater in this reply!
That picture was taken when Messi (C) was called by the referee to choose which side of the pitch they're going to play at!

raskolnikov

you sound like a Messi hater in this reply!
That picture was taken when Messi (C) was called by the referee to choose which side of the pitch they're going to play at!

Messi is my favourite player next to Henry, I just see him as an introvert who is incapable of being a leader despite him being the best player ever.
There is nothing wrong with it, others are just more suited and at Argentina it is clearly Mascehrano.
In a world cup final it should be the captain motivating the troops like a general, perhaps the coach but thats about it, picture does show Messi isnt a leader, he never was, doenst make him any less great of course.

L

linetty

Don't know why you think shouting at your mates warrants being a good captain. It's about what you say not how loud you do it. I think Messi motivates his team mates just by working his magic on the pitch, gives an example.

As for your photo again, I knew it means jack shit.

Kerrybai

Messi is my favourite player next to Henry, I just see him as an introvert who is incapable of being a leader despite him being the best player ever.
There is nothing wrong with it, others are just more suited and at Argentina it is clearly Mascehrano.
In a world cup final it should be the captain motivating the troops like a general, perhaps the coach but thats about it, picture does show Messi isnt a leader, he never was, doenst make him any less great of course.

No offence mate but did you actually read what he posted? Messi was walking away to go to the ref, how does this show him as 'not a leader.'

I think someone like Masch would be better too so don't get me wrong here, however that sort of pic is something I would expect from Marca, no need to stoop to that level. We also have no idea how Messi is in the locker room. According to that pic shouting at your team mates makes the perfect captain? Maybe we need Joey Barton then.

Empty

Actions speak louder than words, when on the pitch.

Messi carries the team on his back over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Mascherano is equally deserving but c'mon, Messi has shown that he will drive the entire team to victory.

He's done that for us for years now, and carried Argentina to the final in the WC.

What more can you ask for?

It's obvious Mascherano has the ability to marshal the defense no matter what. No need to get worked up over this.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Messi is pretty much the undisputed dictator of the team, so why should he not be the captain? That's right, no one at Barca gives a fuck about Mascherano when compared to Messi. Who has been carrying the team to victories and trophies over and over again? When shit goes down, who is the team looking for? If both Messi and Masch ask for the ball, where is the ball going to? Who do the players defer to, time and time again? Who do all the new signings try to please? Who can bring forward club elections with just one innocuous comment? Who holds the power among the players, fans and club? That's right, thought so.

The captain should be the leader of the team, not the one who shouts and claps his hand the most. As long as Messi is in the team, Mascherano (or any player for that matter bar Xavi) will never be the leader of Barca, in any sense of the word. Don't pull the Puyol card on me, if Puyol came into the team like Masch did, he would also stand zero chance vs Messi in the respect stakes.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Messi leads the team by example, not every leader shouts and give orders. That is the reason why Neymar is the captain of brazil too. Soon messi will be the captain of barca.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Don't pull the Puyol card on me, if Puyol came into the team like Masch did, he would also stand zero chance vs Messi in the respect stakes.

Rio Ferdinand was captain of CL winning Manchester United team when they still had Scholes and Giggs

Andrew M

Does anyone else feel that Pique's resurrection is symbolic of our renewed success?

He is so important and when he is playing well is such a pleasure to watch.

Antimadridista1

Does anyone else feel that Pique's resurrection is symbolic of our renewed success?

He is so important and when he is playing well is such a pleasure to watch.

No.
Messi's resurrection is symbolic of our renewed success + Lucho's tactics that forces the team to play in 451 when we lose the ball protects our defensive line and Pique.

Andrew M

No.
Messi's resurrection is symbolic of our renewed success + Lucho's tactics that forces the team to play in 451 when we lose the ball protects our defensive line and Pique.

I'll take that with a pinch of salt considering I know you are not exactly chairman of the pique fan club. Have you forgiven him yet btw? ;)

Home of Barca Fans