Has Player Quality Declined?

KingLeo10

Birdy really out here trying to tell us he understands the essence of football better than the great Ronaldo fenomeno.

Go watch what Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, ZZ, Seedorf, RVN etc. say about this guy and the joy he brought to people with his magic :lol:

No amount of “naunced”, “methodical” play is going to bring the same. 96-98 R9 would feast on these modern day systems :lol:

Messigician

Birdy really out here trying to tell us he understands the essence of football better than the great Ronaldo fenomeno.

Go watch what Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, ZZ, Seedorf, RVN etc. say about this guy and the joy he brought to people with his magic :lol:

No amount of “naunced”, “methodical” play is going to bring the same. 96-98 R9 would feast on these modern day systems :lol:
are you surprised?

Same guy who said Aston villa would demolish peak ac milan

JohnN

For me the 2010s had it all.
Great talent, strong tactics, physicality in a good balance.
For some years now the talent is not of the highest order, physicality is top and tactics are all copy paste of the top managers.
But things tend to change so perhaps this ultra boring robotic era will someday be replaced by something new.
overall, talent has not dried up, it's just not the prominent factor, which is sad.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I know what R9 means, as ppl here already said its more about tactics and systems these days which is one the one site more 'boring' (entertainment level) to watch but on the other site it makes the matches more interesting

But how could this lad compare football to tennis?? Tennis must be the most boring sport ever, the only thing they do is hitting a ball to each other, every hit looks like the same. Where is the magic, the skills, the fun??

Football >>>>>>> tennis

Temptation

Football skills have nothing to do with deep tactical understanding or knowledge of the game. One of the biggest misconceptions casuals have.

Many legendary Footballers are very dumb off the pitch which is why they miserably failed as managers. I really don't see R9 as the kind of "professor of Football" type a Xabi Alonso clearly is. This is a guy who struggles to watch full games, in his own words.

Let's take an example, R9 is way better than Pep as a player but Pep understands Football way better than most GOATs combined. Are you telling me R9 understands and dissects a game of Football better than Mourinho who was never a pro? The likes of Klopp and Wenger understand the game way better than Xavi.

Many Football fans, commentators and journalists understand and analyse the game way better than some of the best players. Majority of the Footballers are actually very dumb, which is reflected in their interviews and scandals off the pitch.

Many of the pundits(ex pros) say the most generic shit ever instead of proper nuanced insight. There's a reason why YouTube fan channels are overpowering legacy media. So while it sounds absolutely batshit crazy, it's likely that Birdy analyses games better than Ronaldo "Football is boring, Tennis is way better" Nazario.

Temptation

But how could this lad compare football to tennis?? Tennis must be the most boring sport ever, the only thing they do is hitting a ball to each other, every hit looks like the same. Where is the magic, the skills, the fun??

Football >>>>>>> tennis

No, it isn't. Tennis is amazing. How do you know it's boring if you have never watched Tennis? It's highly tactical, entertaining and there's no getting carried by the team in Tennis. Needs way more 'mentality' than any other sport.

If I pick a sample space of 10 randomly selected women and take them out for a big Football game, chances are they'll find it incredibly boring on first viewing.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

No, it isn't. Tennis is amazing. How do you know it's boring if you have never watched Tennis? It's highly tactical, entertaining and there's no getting carried by the team in Tennis. Needs way more 'mentality' than any other sport.

If I pick a sample space of 10 randomly selected women and take them out for a big Football game, chances are they'll find it incredibly boring on first viewing.

Dude are you serious?? :oops: ive watched youtube highlights from tennis but it never amazed me...

Maradona37

Football skills have nothing to do with deep tactical understanding or knowledge of the game. One of the biggest misconceptions casuals have.

Many legendary Footballers are very dumb off the pitch which is why they miserably failed as managers. I really don't see R9 as the kind of "professor of Football" type a Xabi Alonso clearly is. This is a guy who struggles to watch full games, in his own words.

Let's take an example, R9 is way better than Pep as a player but Pep understands Football way better than most GOATs combined. Are you telling me R9 understands and dissects a game of Football better than Mourinho who was never a pro? The likes of Klopp and Wenger understand the game way better than Xavi.

Many Football fans, commentators and journalists understand and analyse the game way better than some of the best players. Majority of the Footballers are actually very dumb, which is reflected in their interviews and scandals off the pitch.

Many of the pundits(ex pros) say the most generic shit ever instead of proper nuanced insight. There's a reason why YouTube fan channels are overpowering legacy media. So while it sounds absolutely batshit crazy, it's likely that Birdy analyses games better than Ronaldo "Football is boring, Tennis is way better" Nazario.
Exactly, said it many times. Intelligence and critical thinking skills are more important in analysing football, than actually being good at football.

For instance, Ferguson, Pep (great player but not an all-time great) and Mourinho are miles better managers and coaches than Maradona or Pele ever were. Going by logic such as 'best players are best critics' Maradona would have been an amazing coach.

Then, as you say, pundits talk nonsense all the time despite being great at football. There's nothing worse than when an idiot, clueless pundit like John Terry, Alan Shearer or Rio Ferdinand says they know more because they have played the game.

It's very rare someone is both amazing player and coach. That is what makes the likes of Cruyff and to a lesser extent Beckenbauer so special.

It's about intelligence and critical thinking skills. No amount of playing football gives you the eloquence and tactical understanding to analyse a game as a watcher. I was actually surprised Xavi was a relatively poor coach for Barca, as you'd assume someone with his deep understanding of the game as a player would become a good coach. But it didn't work out that way. Alternatively Alonso and Arteta are currently thriving.

R9 is one of my favourite players ever, but he doesn't seem too bright in general, and like Ronaldinho he seems guided by emotion. Being an amazing footballer doesn't mean you are an amazing coach.

In saying all this, I can fully understand his perspective that football was more enjoyable back in the day (I enjoyed it then and still enjoy it now).

Fati_Future_BallonDor

My guy never watched a Federer game in his entire life! :lol:

is he that good?? i dont see big differences between tennis players

in football for example you will clearly see the difference how a Messi dribbles with the ball and a Dembele but in tennis....

tell me when there is a big tennis match and i will watch it :thinking:

Maradona37

is he that good?? i dont see big differences between tennis players

in football for example you will clearly see the difference how a Messi dribbles with the ball and a Dembele but in tennis....

tell me when there is a big tennis match and i will watch it :thinking:
From what I have seen of Federer, he's definitely like the Messi or Maradona of tennis; he's a genius with the ball/racket, and can do things that very few other players can do. From an eye test/qualitative standpoint, he makes the game worth watching. He might not always win, though he has won a lot. But even when he loses he generally contributes to a massively entertaining match.

Other players may have better stats or achievements (Nadal or especially Djokovic), but they're less entertaining to watch and play a more rudimentary game, even if it attains results. They're more robotic and have clear patterns they follow over and over again. They don't actually do amazingly special things to the extent Roger does - they simply do the more basic (relatively speaking) very consistently. Federer is the purist's choice and has left a mark on the game of tennis that people will remember fondly. He does so much that entertains people.

In this respect there are clear parallels between a Messi, Maradona, Garrincha (Federer) and a Portuguese Ronaldo (Djoko), even if this is a rather crude comparison.

I haven't watched that much tennis in this era, so I might be wrong. But from what I have saw and what long-time fans say, this is the impression I have.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

From what I have seen of Federer, he's definitely like the Messi or Maradona of tennis; he's a genius with the ball/racket, and can do things that very few other players can do. From an eye test/qualitative standpoint, he makes the game worth watching. He might not always win, though he has won a lot. But even when he loses he generally contributes to a massively entertaining match.

Other players may have better stats or achievements (Nadal or especially Djokovic), but they're less entertaining to watch and play a more rudimentary game, even if it attains results. They're more robotic and have clear patterns they follow over and over again. They don't actually do amazingly special things to the extent Roger does - they simply do the more basic (relatively speaking) very consistently. Federer is the purist's choice and has left a mark on the game of tennis that people will remember fondly. He does so much that entertains people.

In this respect there are clear parallels between a Messi, Maradona, Garrincha (Federer) and a Portuguese Ronaldo (Djoko), even if this is a rather crude comparison.

I haven't watched that much tennis in this era, so I might be wrong. But from what I have saw and what long-time fans say, this is the impression I have.

You guys are suprising me everyday :oops:

Home of Barca Fans